• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor for kinect (From Software X Capcom)

Pooya

Seda said:
301725a52a9ebc56c16a8c5vrk.jpg

Press
Tokyo – September 16, 2010 - Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today confirmed that Steel Battalion™ Heavy Armor is in development exclusively for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Steel Battalion Heavy Armor will utilise Kinect, controller free games and entertainment only on Xbox 360, to deliver an immersive battlefield experience like no other.

Steel Battalion Heavy Armor was officially announced by Keiji Inafune, Capcom’s Head of R&D Management Group and Contents Management Division, earlier today to an audience of media from across the globe at Microsoft’s Tokyo Game Show Keynote Address. “The announcement of Steel Battalion Heavy Armor is further testament to Capcom’s commitment to produce innovative titles that take advantage of the latest technology”, commented Keiji Inafune. “With Kinect’s ability to track your joints and movements and understand where the player is in 3D space and the development expertise of From Software in partnership with Capcom’s own personnel, we are confident of delivering a truly immersive experience for Xbox 360 gamers.”

“We are thrilled to once again work with our partners at Capcom and From Software to develop exclusive, innovative titles,” said Matt Barlow, General Manager, Interactive Entertainment Business Marketing for Microsoft. “It’s exciting to see publishers evolve renowned franchises like ‘Steel Battalion’ with Kinect to create gameplay that you can only experience on Xbox 360.”

Set in 2082, Steel Battalion Heavy Armor depicts a world devoid of computers, where war is waged with rudimentary weapons as new superpowers struggle for dominance. In a twist of fate, the US army has been forced to begin major landing operations on what was once its own soil. In this low-tech era there is one weapon class that will determine the course of the war – the Vertical Tank. VTs are guaranteed to instil fear in enemy forces when they burst onto the battlefield; but they are nothing without the crews who man them. Lacking computer aided weapon and piloting systems, these brave men and women must now rely on skill, intuition and each other to ensure victory

177fc9a8cf45a40303ae06wv46.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_6.jpg.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_3.jpg.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_1.jpg.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_7.jpg.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_5.jpg.jpg

Steel_Battalion_Screenshot_2.jpg.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
:lol

but seriously, how do you go from around 20-30 buttons to no buttons and retain all the functions?
Do you really think all the functions are retained?

this could be cool. i said for a long time an awesome way to do a first-person shooter with kinect would be to have a cockpit view out of a mech. your gestures control the cockpit control mechanisms which are part of the hud. voice commands could also be implemented. i hope they do this right.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Pumped full of steroids. That's me.

So excited for this news. FROM software also know their robits.

Should be a controller-free good time.

SB is back!!

Bebpo said:
:lol

but seriously, how do you go from around 20-30 buttons to no buttons and retain all the functions?

It would be nice if we could use the controller for movement, but also use Kinect for additional HUD and buttons and shit.

Enron

Banned
There's zero way that this is 100% Kinect. The experience of the massive controller WAS Steel Battalion.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Inside view of the mech and you touch/gesture the console buttons etc.

I can imagine the game using this control scheme. What I can't imagine is how such a scheme could work well enough to control a character with any degree of responsiveness or precision in a 3D environment, sans any kind of tactile response.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Meier said:
Still costs over $200 to play a Steel Battalion game.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Seems so strange for the hardest core mech simulator to go controller free. But we'll see. Color me intrigued.

-I speak as someone who owns Steel Battalion and still has it all in my closet, wish I could dig it out more often.

Wow! Interested to see how this turns out, being someone with a constant hard-on for the more realistic machine designs out of the Home Islands.

Reknoc

Be interesting to see how this works, but I dunno, never got to play the previous ones but I was in love with the controller so I can't seem to get too excited.

AkuMifune

Banned
jstevenson said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Seems so strange for the hardest core mech simulator to go controller free. But we'll see. Color me intrigued.

Is that the one in-between fuchsia and magenta?

Yeah, I don't see how this could work and still remain comparable to the first. If you sneeze you eject out of a self-destruct or something.

Exano

Neo Member
chespace said:
Pumped full of steroids. That's me.

So excited for this news. FROM software also know their robits.

Should be a controller-free good time.

SB is back!!

no :(

iconoclast said:
Holy fucking shit. I am speechless.

CAPGOD has been redeemed for their recent transgressions.

Wario64 said:
FUCK YEAH

fuck no :(

They've turned an epic mech simulation involving precision controls and an incredible feeling of immersion. I've been waiting years for a SB sequel, I get it, and its on kinect. Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, I don't care, just give me my Steel Battalion controller back!! I think I want to make my eyes bleed.

Exano said:
no :(

fuck no :(

They've turned an epic mech simulation involving precision controls and an incredible feeling of immersion. I've been waiting years for a SB sequel, I get it, and its on kinect. Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, I don't care, just give me my Steel Battalion controller back!! I think I want to make my eyes bleed.

I know how you feel, but if this is the only way we'll get a new Steel Battalion, I'll cross my fingers, hope for the best, and buy this shit day one.

MikeE21286 said:
From the craziest controller ever released to no controller? I don't understand how this will work...

Seriously. I see so many people getting excited about this, and all I can think about is how the hell you are supposed to PLAY it. If it's the way I'm imagining in my head, this is NOT a good thing.

Exano

Neo Member
iconoclast said:
Steel Battalion is better than Demon's Souls. Real talk.

Ehh.. Steel Battalion and Steel Battalion: LoC > Demon Soul's...

This title?

Probably not so much.

shoplifter

Well, they can't fuck it up Line of Contact bad, can they?

I demand an add-on to let me use my SB controller *and* Kinect.

yes, they can fuck it up

if they do it right...it'll sell Kinect to the hardcore. let's be honest. something like what MechAssault was to the original Xbox Live launch.

the question is will it be done right. I have my doubts.

Top Bottom