• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Riposte said:
Really pissed off about this. Now my quest log is incomplete. Thought I had more time...

You would have, but they decided to make this event have some substance. Kinda sucks to not be able to have the same quest count or be replaced with the current one, but i'd just abandon it anyway.

Nakazato said:
If anyone is going to be on about 11pm Est I need a pearl

plz shoot me a pm with your name so i can /tell you when im on

EDIT: Crap forgot im not a pearlsack atm. Try getting in contact with Renta Hamster.

Teknoman

Dev update:

Every enemy has a ranged attack?

We checked on this issue with the dev. team and have some details to report about the whole "every enemy having range attack" issue. While it's not a bug, it is something that the dev. team feels isn't very fitting with the rest of Eorzea. When they looked into remedying the situation, they discovered a new issue that needed to be addressed. So the plan now is to address the new issue first so that they're able to make adjustments to the ranged attack issue.

Good. I shouldnt get sneezed on from a distance and die.

hgplayer1 said:
dont you mean Tera?

Nope. Tera already loaded fast off my regular hard drives, a pair of old-school 74GB WD Raptors in RAID 0. It uses Unreal Engine 3 which has been designed from the ground up for optimized loading since UE3 is meant for use on consoles as well as PCs. The ability for UE3 to dynamically stream data during play is well-known, especially to console owners who have experienced the infamous "texture pop-in" characteristic of UE3's dynamic loading when you start a new level in any UE3 game like Gears of War.

FFXIV on the other hand was a ridiculous dog loading even off of the same Raptors. Just terrible by comparison.

Teknoman said:

I never had any issues with dying to mobs' ranged attacks. Either I closed to attack it or I ran away.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
I've got my new SSD installed. Should be interesting to see how FFXIV performs with it.

I run on SSD and the performance is great.

Anyway i ordered yesterday a new rig, and wanna see how much i can push the game on the 580.

If anyone wanna know the specs of my new gamming rig, just ask and i will post :)

NeoForte

Unknown Soldier said:
Nope. Tera already loaded fast off my regular hard drives, a pair of old-school 74GB WD Raptors in RAID 0. It uses Unreal Engine 3 which has been designed from the ground up for optimized loading since UE3 is meant for use on consoles as well as PCs. The ability for UE3 to dynamically stream data during play is well-known, especially to console owners who have experienced the infamous "texture pop-in" characteristic of UE3's dynamic loading when you start a new level in any UE3 game like Gears of War.

FFXIV on the other hand was a ridiculous dog loading even off of the same Raptors. Just terrible by comparison.

I never had any issues with dying to mobs' ranged attacks. Either I closed to attack it or I ran away.

I did, it sucks exploring areas with aggro mobs just to be ranged to death.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Dev update:

Every enemy has a ranged attack?

We checked on this issue with the dev. team and have some details to report about the whole "every enemy having range attack" issue. While it's not a bug, it is something that the dev. team feels isn't very fitting with the rest of Eorzea. When they looked into remedying the situation, they discovered a new issue that needed to be addressed. So the plan now is to address the new issue first so that they're able to make adjustments to the ranged attack issue.

SO cryptic, and what was that new issue ?

Darte

Jinko said:
SO cryptic, and what was that new issue ?

Spaghetti code I'm betting.

They removed range attacks from some enemies and suddenly the NPC price of black pepper rises to 999,999,999 gil

Gromph

Staff Member
Darte said:
Spaghetti code I'm betting.

They removed range attacks from some enemies and suddenly the NPC price of black pepper rises to 999,999,999 gil

You have a level 20 Cul local leve at LL who give 12 peeper as reward. A Feast Fit for an Admiral

I have farmed a few 99 stacks from there. As cul 40 every reset i check that leve.

Jinko

Update of most (if not all) of the sidequest.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Quests

A new post I made on the lodestone forums about guild marks:-
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...s-Specific-Gear-and-Guildleve-Dungeon-rewards

So this GM appeared in Ul'dah casting buffs on people, like haste and such, hooded figure although he wasn't in grid/black shroud and wasn't muttering anything, although he did supposedly disappear shortly after.

Translated from French said:
-Listen to my words if you are seeking the thruth
-Disaster is eminent on Hydaelyn
-Time have come for those who got prepared to battle incoming chaos
-Futur isn't fixed yet, you can still change things
- (this part can be traduced word by word but it was the yoshi-p poem on lodestone, very different in french and english, so just read yoshi's poem for this part)
- The "seventh purifying" told by the Mazeya is coming
- You, seeking the thruth, wake up and stand against the iminent treat

Haste, HP boost, MP boost and regen ? maybe a new class ... some say he was Arcanist.

More at forums http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/8994-What-kinda-GM-was-this

FFXIV_1304117088.jpg

Allard

Its definitely real. Also deaspected crystals are starting to drop off mobs and from gathering nodes. Also some people are deciphering the information to mean something happening on Thursday next week.

Also it would be sweet if with this upcoming combat patch we get a couple new classes on top of job system. Would certainly make a monumental update lol. That GM in Arcanist gear really makes me want another magic class ; ;.

Edit: Also one other thing... the music across the world has stopped. No music in the cities or the surrounding region. Something is definitely happening soon.

Teknoman

Say what you want about XIV, but they really seem to be trying to bring it with building an ongoing story...even through live events and random appearances.

This is like...some .hack level stuff.

EDIT: Why...does he have keys? Jail cell keys?

Allard said:
Its definitely real. Also deaspected crystals are starting to drop off mobs and from gathering nodes. Also some people are deciphering the information to mean something happening on Thursday next week.

Also it would be sweet if with this upcoming combat patch we get a couple new classes on top of job system. Would certainly make a monumental update lol. That GM in Arcanist gear really makes me want another magic class ; ;.

Edit: Also one other thing... the music across the world has stopped. No music in the cities or the surrounding region. Something is definitely happening soon.

WHAT?!

Allard

Clarification. No music in the surrounding regions. Guess the music is still going on in the cities. I'm in Thanalan right now and its pouring outside with no music going on whatsoever.

Coldsnap

I hope they dont introduce any more classes. They need to balance classes, re-name them, put out new content and raise level cap.

Allard

The game (at least on my server) is also undergoing perpetual rain. Every single zone except the cities has rainy weather. The only zone without music is Thanalan it seems. Reminds me a lot of Tahronghi Canyon and B.Penninsula from FFXI with just the rain and feet sound effects, kinda nostalgic heh.

Also I think some of the gate guards at the rank 1 camps are giving new dialogue. The limsa gate guard says that Garleans have been doing a lot more frequent Air and Feet Patrols, in Black Brush they talk about the Garleans shooting down a ferry somewhere close by, and in Bentbranch they talk about the cloaked figure speaking prophecy.

Teknoman

Dega says he saw someone in Ul'dah too.

EDIT:

Urianger Augurelt: Hear my words if you are in search of truth...
Urianger Augurelt: The noose is tightening around the disaster Hydaelyn...
Urianger Augurelt: The time of awakening has come for those who are preparing to tackle the chaos in motion...
Urianger Augurelt: The future is not immutable... You can still change...
Urianger Augurelt: When the sixth sun will have set and the seventh moon shine in the sky, the ocean of clouds poured a rain of faiery flames and shadows fatal burst forth from the depths of the earth...
Urianger Augurelt: The "Seventh purification" predicted by Mezaya approach...
Urianger Augurelt: You who are in search of truth... Wake Up and Make yourself against an imminent threat...

Allard

Sidonia: No dragon sightings today, I am afraid. But I did come across a queerly dressed bard who sung an off-key ballad foretelling such rubbish as the falling of the Heavens and the rising of bloodthirsty colossi. If you ask me, I should have sliced out his rotten tongue right then and there.

From Camp Dragonhead.

Munba

Eorzea evolving eveyday system? That's pretty awesome and something i wanted since ever in a mmorpg (also i posted this wish in so many threads since alpha lol). If the system is built to create this kind of real-time events (i didn't expect it sincerely), i'm done. And also the use of GM to make role playing is neat.

demonkaze

Thinking about jumping back in but would have to reinstall and update again. Is the updater fast now or is there a torrent I can download somewhere?

Also, have they started charging yet?

Jinko

We have had 2 patches at 300 mbs and 1 at 200, seems to me there was something more in those patches than they let on.

Jinko

OMG Archons are coming, run for your lives, Ul'dah is on fire !!

Eorzea evolving eveyday system? That's pretty awesome and something i wanted since ever in a mmorpg

Isle of Quel'Danas in WoW did a pretty good job of evolving content.

demonkaze

So just started playing but I haven't touched this game since december so I was wondering where I can read up some info on how the game plays now etc.

Also wondering if there are guides on how the systems work now, similar to all the info out there for FFXI?

Coldsnap

demonkaze said:
So just started playing but I haven't touched this game since december so I was wondering where I can read up some info on how the game plays now etc.

Also wondering if there are guides on how the systems work now, similar to all the info out there for FFXI?

Play on out server and just ask us :D

GrizzNKev

Banned
Where's the cheapest place I can buy this game online? Maybe even just a product key, since I can download the client and make an account elsewhere.

Originally I wasn't at all interested in this game, but I've given it time to grow up and I think it's about time I jumped in.

And yes, I have looked, but the price varies pretty widely so I'm hesitant to buy until I know I've found the best deal.

Gromph

Staff Member
GrizzNKev said:
Where's the cheapest place I can buy this game online? Maybe even just a product key, since I can download the client and make an account elsewhere.

Originally I wasn't at all interested in this game, but I've given it time to grow up and I think it's about time I jumped in.

And yes, I have looked, but the price varies pretty widely so I'm hesitant to buy until I know I've found the best deal.

Final Fantasy XIV (Includes Garlond Goggles)

FREE Delivery on all orders

RRP: £39.99
£4.85
You Save: £35.14

zavvi

Munba

Mid-june is a long wait.. hope more info about new battle system soon. Like the new hubs around and the possibile beat tribes villages though.

Mailman 007

Neo Member
I was just browsing the FFXIV forums, people have no idea what the dungeons will be like
but they're already crying "WoW Clone."
Amazing.

Teknoman

Theres still this:

Even if we break off some of the content and release it ahead of time in a 1.17b patch (which me might!), 1.18 will still go live sometime in mid-June at the earliest. Sorry for that.

Sucks that 1.18 is pretty much a lock for mid-June, but hopefully we at least get one more 1.17 patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom