• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: The Legend of ZENONIA - Now on DSiWare! (Can't believe I never heard of this!)

I was just browsing through a bunch of game sites and happened to come up on this old iPhone action/RPG, Zenonia. I had no idea this thing existed! It only caught my attention because it's now on DSiWare.

This looks great because it's probably the closest thing to a 2D Zelda game we'll ever have on the DSi. I know it's a 2008 game and that there's a sequel, but I'm pretty stoked to discover this game today!

Anyone else heard of this? I'm sure iPhone users know about this.

It's kind of cool to see a really good Zelda clone. I know Gameloft tried this with Legend of Exidia, but Zenonia looks much better!

And it's a KRPG and you can tell there's a lot of inspiration from Diablo since it's also a loot-fest game! So it's like Zelda meets Diablo!

zenonia-20100927095607213_640w.jpg
zenonia-20100927095613775_640w.jpg

zenonia-20100927095617806_640w.jpg
zenonia-20100927095621853_640w.jpg

Looks cool!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Huh, I was planning on getting this soon (need to buy a points card to cover both this and Shantea) but it looked far more like an action RPG (like Ys or Mana) with loot quests and leveling up and such than something like Zelda (adventure).

How does the DSi version hold up? Controls, visuals? There's so little DSiWare coverage on the net. :\

I think this is going to be on PSP as well at some point, there's a PSP wallpaper for it on the PSN, but I'd never heard of it before.

I've been loving some Zenonia 2 on my iPod Touch. With real buttons... I'm even more tempted.

I consider it to be more of a Shining Soul/From the Abyss clone as it has a level system and loot. FUN!

The game is fun and all but it gets so tedious and the difficulty curve is ridiculous.

I also wish that they would have fixed the controls on iOS. Virtual DPAD never works. I don't understand why developers don't take note from TWEWY or the Zelda DS series.

iOS has plenty of great games, it's just that most Gaffers are too "hardcore" to give credit to them.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
FrostuTheNinja said:
I consider it to be more of a Shining Soul/From the Abyss clone as it has a level system and loot. FUN!
If it's anything like Shining Soul, I'm SO in.

dallow_bg said:
$8.00 on DSiWare.

Currently 99 cents on iOS.
So totally worth to not need an iPhone (oh and buttons).

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ILikeFeet said:
looks awesome (I LOVE sprite RPGs). but I stopped buying DSiware games. until the 3DS anyway
If you still have a DSi there's no reason to do this, they have said you will be able to transfer DSiWare content to a 3DS.

RavenFox

Banned
Have this on my Samsung Captivate [Android]. Don't look for a story just enjoy the game. The origin of the boy and how he came to be is a wtf moment.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
If you still have a DSi there's no reason to do this, they have said you will be able to transfer DSiWare content to a 3DS.

oh yea. well then I will get this for the DSi (actually, my spending is severly limited at the moment)

Bought this a couple of weeks back on my I touch, took a while to get use to the touch screen but I usually cant put it down at work. Had a few problems with combines and teleport scrolls, but I just got my answers from goggling :D

Might get the 2nd one later.

I never finished this game on my ipod touch, the grind was a bit boring half way in and I lost my save so i'll pass on playing it again for now. It was great at the time at it was one of the first early rpg's on the iOS.

Diablohead said:
I never finished this game on my ipod touch, the grind was a bit boring half way in and I lost my save so i'll pass on playing it again for now. It was great at the time at it was one of the first early rpg's on the iOS.
Does it require a specific generation of Ipod Touch?

I picked this up today and I'm really loving it so far! :D

I never played the iPhone version but I've played a lot of iPhone games from my friends and cousins. And the virtual controls is tough and I can imagine it being really hard to play something like Zenonia on it.

But it's natural and feels very good on the DSi. It really does feel like a Zelda game. But Zenonia is also like Diablo. It's a very cool hybrid.

I'm glad this came out for the DSi. I picked up points for Shantae this Monday and with leftover points I wanted something else. This was perfect! :D

It's really well put together on the iphone, but the controls are a little iffy (virtual dpad, no surprise). The thing that really made me stop playing through is that it seemed to require insane amounts of grinding to level up. Otherwise it's almost like a perfect storm for RPG nerds, Zelda LttP + WoW.

BriareosGAF said:
It's really well put together on the iphone, but the controls are a little iffy (virtual dpad, no surprise). The thing that really made me stop playing through is that it seemed to require insane amounts of grinding to level up. Otherwise it's almost like a perfect storm for RPG nerds, Zelda LttP + WoW.
Yeah, the side quests system reminds me of WoW, like a 2D WoW RPG.

VariantX

i just tried the free version of the demo on my iPhone after reading this thread.....game was actually damn awesome. And now there's gonna be a version of this....with buttons?? Hell yes. The only issue i had with it is the damn dpad making the game so difficult to control, especially when it came to navigating through the menus.

DiscoJer

This might be coming to the PSP as well (or even PSP/PS3 as a Mini) - I haven't seen any official announcement, but in the last store update, there was a Zenonia Wallpaper for PSP.

Which seems like something rather silly to do unless the game was coming to it...

inner-G

Banned
I enjoyed this on my Droid, it was pretty bad without buttons imo (I played with the controls mapped to the keyboard)

I bet it plays awesome on DSi though!

linkboy

inner-G said:
I enjoyed this on my Droid, it was pretty bad without buttons imo (I played with the controls mapped to the keyboard)
I bet it plays awesome on DSi though!

That's the only reason why I have trouble playing the game. I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo merge the Wii and DS Ware markets together. Basically make some games compatible with both

I don't have a DS.

DJ_Lae

Is the scaling wonky on the actual DSi screens or do those IGN screenshots just suck?

The text looks like shit.

Isn't it $6 on Android? It's still quite the "button tax" though.

DJ_Lae said:
Is the scaling wonky on the actual DSi screens or do those IGN screenshots just suck?

The text looks like shit.
The scaling is wonky, they are not at their native DSi resolution. 270px wide versus 256px wide.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I never played the iOS version but it feels fine on my DSi.

If the scaling is worse, at least it'll make up for it with button controls.

I actually find it to be one of the few tolerable traditionally controlled games on the iOS due to its great amount of control customization. You can change the size/placement of the d-pad and buttons. Found my sweet spot and as I said before, having a blast.

Can't wait to hear what you all think about Zenonia 2, with its four character classes and all.

wow, never heard of this game and I instantly want it. Need to check if or when this is out in Europe. Damn, not out yet.

Takao

Banned
The Minis (PSP/PS3) version seems to be hitting the US PlayStation Store this Tuesday if "The Drop" column on the PlayStation Blog is to be trusted.

OnPoint

Been playing this pretty hard the last week.

I'll say this: it's fun if you can get past the repetition. You'll seriously be killing many of the same monsters over and over in order to move on to the next screen and kill the next set of monsters over and over. It handles well enough but the pacing keeps it from being a game for people not ready to grind.

Check your expectations and you'll enjoy this. Fans of Secret of Mana will like this more than fans of Zelda. It's a dungeon crawler thick and through, not an action/adventure/puzzler. Seriously, I'm a few dungeons in and each dungeon is pretty much the same: kill everything until you reach the boss

Also a side note: don't run out of health at the same time as a boss. The game will glitch and you'll start the next segment unable to press any of the buttons. I had to redo a boss fight due to this, and I'm super glad the autosave function didn't kick in.

Been playing this on my phone for a month now and it is a very good game, worth a purchase.

I wish there were more traditional turn based RPGs on Droid devices though. They would work so much better with a touch screen than a game that is asking you to button mash or pull off complex moves. Imagine something like Lufia or Final Fantasy III on your phone.

And if it does exist, please point the way. :D

Dark Octave said:
Imagine something like Lufia or Final Fantasy III on your phone.

And if it does exist, please point the way. :D
At least the Lufia remake is coming out and we just got FF 4 Heroes of Light for the DS.

But yeah, Zenonia is pretty good. A lot of content for the price.

Takao said:
The Minis (PSP/PS3) version seems to be hitting the US PlayStation Store this Tuesday if "The Drop" column on the PlayStation Blog is to be trusted.
Hmm...depending on the price, I may double dip.

Luigiv

Hmm, I have something of a top-down 2D ARPG myself. May grab this game myself if it's hits the PAL PSN soon.

Jethro

Sry, for the bump but what the hell are you talking about? Downloaded it in November for 3DS because of the good reviews played 20 hours and all I can say what a waste of time. A 8.5-9 Game? How ridiculous is that? The balancing in this game is totally broken (you get Level 80 items, when you are Level 70), it's repetitive (same music, enemies, tasks over and over) and the controls feel clunky too.

Seriously if this game is one of the best examples for great iOS/Android Games then something is certainly going wrong.

Top Bottom