• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wada and Kimura depart MMV for greener pastures at Grasshopper

duckroll

Famitsu reports that Yasuhiro Wada and Yoshirou Kimura have left MMV to join Grasshopper Manufacture. Is this a sign that MMV is truly going to step away from making core games and stuff people care about anymore? Or is MMV about to buy Grasshopper? Lol. Discuss.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
10 years later...

"I miss the old Grasshopper. Back when they were a studio of 40-something people and understood what punk is about"

-Eddman-

I hope MMV is not buying Grasshopper, they're awesome freelancers. Their model of making standalone projects for different publishers should be more frequent in the industry.

Doorman

First thing when I read the topic title.

"The Grasshopper is always greener on the other side."

Puns aside, it will be interesting to see what might come of this partnership. I'm not completely on the up of what Marvelous has been doing, but I'm aware of at least a couple of Wii games that they most likely didn't turn a profit on, or if they did it wasn't by much. Could mean an interesting shift for both parties involved, or it might not change much at all. What had Wada and Kimura been responsible for while they were at MMV?

Zihark

Doorman said:
First thing when I read the topic title.

"The Grasshopper is always greener on the other side."

Puns aside, it will be interesting to see what might come of this partnership. I'm not completely on the up of what Marvelous has been doing, but I'm aware of at least a couple of Wii games that they most likely didn't turn a profit on, or if they did it wasn't by much. Could mean an interesting shift for both parties involved, or it might not change much at all. What had Wada and Kimura been responsible for while they were at MMV?
Wada is the harvest moon creator and kimura did the wonderful little king's story. doesn't really make sense given how niche grasshopper is- maybe they'll continue to do ea partner stuff.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Now that Wada and Yamaoka are united under one roof my dreams of a Harvest Moon/Silent Hill crossover are one step closer to reality.

ixix said:
Now that Wada and Yamaoka are united under one roof my dreams of a Harvest Moon/Silent Hill crossover are one step closer to reality.
:lol day negative 1. What does this mean for harvest moon though, hopefully not much (unless it's good news and not bad =( )

-Pyromaniac- said:
:lol day negative 1. What does this mean for harvest moon though, hopefully not much (unless it's good news and not bad =( )

Harvest moon with weird voices, pixel blood, and style over substance.

geebee

Banned
Serenade said:
10 years later...

"I miss the old Grasshopper. Back when they were a studio of 40-something people and understood what punk is about"
Some could make that argument today honestly. It won't be me, but after Killer 7, Grasshopper and Suda51 dont seem the same for some reason. Maybe it's the success and attention from the Western gaming market?

geebee said:
Some could make that argument today honestly. It won't be me, but after Killer 7, Grasshopper and Suda51 dont seem the same for some reason. Maybe it's the success and attention from the Western gaming market?

Come on. NMH is very much a Grasshopper game in spirit.

I will admit to being very irritated Suda didn't do much work on NMH2, though :(

I will also admit to being very worried that Grasshopper will stop making the kinds of games that make me love Grasshopper.

Twig

Banned
F yeah Kimura I met him once he is a cool dude.

I look forward to seeing the wacky games he will make at Grasshopper!

I don't really follow J-gaming news much anymore, but I think I read recently that MMV is like... dying. Am I just on The Drugs, or is that true?

GhaleonQ

Twig said:
F yeah Kimura I met him once he is a cool dude.

I look forward to seeing the wacky games he will make at Grasshopper!

It sounds like he's respected, I believe he produced No More Heroes 2, and Suda has played Love-De-Lic's games. Hopefully, he gets to take the reins on something.

Twig

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
It sounds like he's respected, I believe he produced No More Heroes 2, and Suda has played Love-De-Lic's games. Hopefully, he gets to take the reins on something.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kimura did something with NMH2.

At the very least, he definitely helped with NMH:
Mr. Soga tells us that Kimura-san really loved No More Heroes, and actually did a lot of design work on the game. "Not many people know, but I was working on the game while hidden," Kimura says. I am amused for a moment, unsure whether he really wishes he was a part of the production, or actually worked on the title. A cursory Internet search lists him as a producer for the game, and it's not hard to imagine his design work making it in.

He and Suda are buddies, I believe.

faridmon

While many regard Kamiya, Namuro, Miyamoto, Inaba, Mikami Etc. the most influantial and awsome Japanese game makers, For me its Wada, This man has talent and created lot of great game I love.

May you posper great man.

GhaleonQ

black_vegeta said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is MMV?

Marvelous Entertainment Inc. (株式会社 マーベラスエンターテイメント, Kabushiki-gaisha Māberasu Entāteimento?) (MMV) is a multinational corporation that produces animation, music, video games, television series. MMV is most widely known for its involvement in the Harvest Moon series.

The MMV abbreviation, found in the company logo, stands for Marvelous Media Vibration, which originally stood for Marvelous Music Vibration.

Edit: NOOOOO

Top Bottom