• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor? New PS3 Feature: Region Locks... Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
JardeL said:
Mathieulh said:
by the way I wonder if anyone figured out how sony has been discreetly implementing ps3 games region locking since 3.30 ? xD

Implementing doesn't mean it's in effect yet, starting with sdk 3.50 publishers can now chose to region lock their games though.

I wrote all about it here: http://www.ps3gen.fr/region-zone-actualite-13497.html
badregion3_090300024200051786.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
!*(@^#*

StuBurns

Banned
It has always been there, the Uncharted demo was region locked at first, all the apps are region locked too, NetFlix won't work outside of the US and Canada for example.

StuBurns said:
It has always been there, the Uncharted demo was region locked at first, all the apps are region locked too, NetFlix won't work outside of the US and Canada for example.

We're talking about ps3 GAMES. And no, the option has not been there. The Uncharted thing was a mistake that was promptly fixed.

Maybe something to do with all the hacking biz? Seems weird to start doing this now.

I thought the reasoning of region free games was that it took away some of the incentive to hack the system. Same goes for Linux. Seemed to be working pretty well for Sony.

StuBurns said:
Bluray movies are region locked too a la UMDs, aren't they? Maybe that's the issue.

DonMigs85

Some games like War for Cybertron already didn't respect the X/O functionality if played on a non-US console.
Fortunately most major games do get an R3 release for my Asian console, but still they really shouldn't do this.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
We're talking about ps3 GAMES. And no, the option has not been there. The Uncharted thing was a mistake that was promptly fixed.
Clearly it was always possible, because it was on the Uncharted demo. They said they didn't know you could have them be region free so they changed it, but they were able to do it to begin with, it was a feature, not a bug or something.

BLagiver

Banned
Some content is supposed to be region locked because it is illegal or for other strange reasons. What was the point of this thread again?

But PS3 disc based games don't actually have region coding to them, do they?

EDIT: Also, from those screen shots, the apparent game they're running is allowed in regions 1-11, but requires region locking support. Couldn't that just be their way they coded it to make sure you have the required firmware?

andymcc

Banned
BLagiver said:
Some content is supposed to be region locked because it is illegal or for other strange reasons. What was the point of this thread again?

this applies to game discs, which have not been region locked.

Peff

Psychotext said:
If they had done this to Demon's Souls, I would have cared.

A SHITLOAD.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hopefully Project Dark won't use this/is released worldwide.

Yama

Pretty sure that's the PS1/2 screen, or for DVD's. I doubt region free software will suddenly become locked. There are always a few exceptions, but I doubt we'll see a big change here. Either way, glad I have two different region PS3's. Even though I try to savor my 60GB and use it only for US DVD's / PS2 here and there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thread derailment into "blame pirates/no blame Sony" argument commence!

Yama said:
Pretty sure that's the PS1/2 screen, or for DVD's.
Since they already have the screen, if they did implement it why wouldn't they just reuse that screen?

StuBurns said:
Clearly it was always possible, because it was on the Uncharted demo. They said they didn't know you could have them be region free so they changed it, but they were able to do it to begin with, it was a feature, not a bug or something.

How do you explain multiplatform games that are region locked on the 360 but not on the ps3? How do you explain the fact that there are ZERO region locked games on the ps3? How do you explain the fact region free games was one of the features Sony advertised at the ps3 launch?

StuBurns

Banned
Solstice said:
But PS3 disc based games don't actually have region coding to them, do they?
They do, it's the DVD regions not the BluRay ones if I remember correctly.

H_Prestige said:
How do you explain multiplatform games that are region locked on the 360 but not on the ps3? How do you explain the fact that there are ZERO region locked games on the ps3? How do you explain the fact region free games was one of the features Sony advertised at the ps3 launch?
How do you explain the Uncharted demo? Region locking is in place, it always has been. It's never been used on a game, because Sony doesn't allow it, but the system has been in every firmware I'd imagine. The picture doesn't mean anything.

So are new games using this or what? I thought the ability had always been there. We had these arguments 3 years ago I thought.

bigswords

Again it depends on the publisher, same as on the 360. I seriously doubt that games that you currently own will get patched to be region locked.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AmericanNinja said:
umm.. who cares? o_0

I would because my system is an import...and I like being able to buy games either online from the states or locally here.

I can see why they would technically accomodate region locks for certain applications (e.g. content distribution ones), but otherwise it supposedly is a matter of licensing, and the PS3 license agreement for games (I thought) lays out that there's no region locking. So I hope this isn't a generally usable thing. If it is, it sucks enormously - changing something so important midway through a generation is not how to do things. Sony made it clear games would be region free, and it's the only reason I was happy to buy an import system.

StuBurns said:
Uncharted was a bug and was fixed and Netflix has IP filters, they don't need to block the app from running on different region consoles when the service blocks foreign IP's from streaming anyway!

gofreak said:
I can see why they would technically accomodate region locks for certain applications (e.g. content distribution ones), but otherwise it supposedly is a matter of licensing, and the PS3 license agreement for games (I thought) lays out that there's no region locking. So I hope this isn't a generally usable thing. If it is, it sucks enormously - changing something so important midway through a generation is not how to do things.

Well, they did dump Linux support...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AmericanNinja said:
umm.. who cares? o_0

People who actually play games from multiple regions...or was that too hard to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom