• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

kinggroin said:
Really glad I rented this. Multiplayer is danm near unplayable, running at 24fps if im lucky (online). Also, it really sucks that classic health HAS to go hand in hand with the hardest difficulty available. Would have been nice to use it with whichever difficulty you want. Also, maybe its just me, bu the color pallette chosen for the levels is such that its sometimes hard to make out enemies from a distance without zooming in.

Really though, all that would be forgiven if online multiplayer ran at a locked 30fps or higher. Using the wiimote with a low ass framerate is a recipe for disaster. Will try the cc before returning it.
I'm not sure what problems your having, but I have had a nearly flawless online experience, though 1 game did have lag. I played 5 games with 8 people and all ran smoothly, though perhaps I'm not able to detect FPS as well as others.

Anasui Kishibe said:
so basically, best Bond since EON? Might pick this one up tomorra

:lol I loled hard at the Oddjob-Jaws shootout at the end
My first impression personally is very strong. I am surprised at how enjoyable the multiplayer is, single player seems good so far though I'm only through level 2!

kinggroin

Banned
GregLombardi said:
I'm not sure what problems your having, but I have had a nearly flawless online experience, though 1 game did have lag. I played 5 games with 8 people and all ran smoothly, though perhaps I'm not able to detect FPS as well as others.

The framerate thing had me scratching my head. All previews I remember watching of it, the framerate was fine.

?

GregLombardi said:
My first impression personally is very strong. I am surprised at how enjoyable the multiplayer is, single player seems good so far though I'm only through level 2!

thanks for the impressions man. I'd love to sink my teeth into a good Bond game after all this time

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
cimg2516ep7q.jpg

good to see that heteon2 from The Conduit hacking last year is here too.

Just wow

Doorman

...some people have played 15 hours already? o_O The game's only been out since yesterday, right? Shouldn't these people have school or jobs or something?

Anyway, I don't give a damn, hack the leaderboards all you want, it doesn't matter so long as the actual matches themselves remain pretty clean. It was the combination of unintentional glitches (wall-spawning?) and game-breaking hacks that really killed the Conduit's multiplayer for me. I just hope that Activision and Eurocom continue to keep the game monitored and there's some sort of system in place for keeping problems in check.

antonz

Havent run into any problems online. Games run smooth and Im finding lots of little places to hide that let me pile on the kills. Funny getting like 4th on kills but getting more xp than the guy in first because of kill streaks etc heh

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Serenade said:
cimg2516ep7q.jpg

good to see that heteon2 from The Conduit hacking last year is here too.

Just wow

Level 999999 & Experience 99999999? If that isn't obvious hacking, i don't know what is.

Hopefully this Deathwolf will get banned soon. Does Wii players even get banned for online hacking?

And for people who played both Bloodstone & Goldeneye, which one is the best?

thefro

Have played a couple levels of the SP. Very impressed all around. Story is presented well. The choice of stealth or firefight is all over the place and while the levels are still pretty linear, there's usually at least a couple different paths, sometimes more to go through them. Great music score. I'm playing on operative and still dying a few times a level.

Online MP is basically like Modern Warfare, although the melee attack being so powerful makes things interesting. Haven't done any friends matches yet... hopefully you get some more choice in picking your settings as opposed to the random games.

The Advance Wiimote/Nunchuk setting 3 works great for me. I've been able to out-turn a ton of people on the MP maps leading to pretty easy melee kills. No lag at all yet.

With the multiplayer, this is easily the best Bond game since the original already.

Teknoman

JaxJag said:
Does GoldenEye look as bad as the videos?

Because visually, at least from the videos, it's one of the worst looking games I've seen in awhile.

Watch the MP HD videos posted earlier. It looks pretty decent widescreen and progressive scan.

SabinFigaro said:
Any opinions on spending the extra cash for the golden CC pro? I already have a regular CC, if that matters.
My justification was Amazon $20 credit, but more importantly it was local multiplayer...

Is the framerate tied to the host somehow? Like if his connection sucks, there will be slowdown? I can't imagining that making sense, but for some reason it feels that way. Sometimes it runs smooth, other times the FPS is like 20ish.

Also, where the fuck are all those supply crates in the Siberia level (or whatever it is in the redone story)? I've played it like 5 times and managed to find 4/5 once.

Locations I have found:
1 in a tunnel thing shortly after the objective gets added IIRC
2 in the big shootout area: one in the tower thing, another in a house across the open area
1 at the final shootout leading up to the Bunker entrance

Effect

Ugh. I guess it was fun while it lasted. I think I'll try to get a few more games in before the online is completely ruined. :( At least the single player is good enough for a few playthroughs.

It's really good guys. I've been playing with the remote setup and still trying to get used to it but it plays awesome.

this is kind of making me want to get Black Ops on Wii. I was just going to skip the game but I kinda want another Wii FPS.

Effect

Lonely1 said:
I wouldn't worry until they find in-game hacks.

Seems like their are some. Unlocking all the weapons via hack seems to be an in-game hack. Changing how you gain exp, etc as well. Game breaking. This pisses me off.

Doorman

Lonely1 said:
I wouldn't worry until they find in-game hacks.
The video that Serenade posted shows in-game hacks, at least in the sense of early unlocks and modifies and such, at the least. The "good" news is that I don't recall heotan2 being the type that spreads his hacks around for trolling the community. As long as the number of hackers remains low compared to the number of normal players, and we don't get to "hiding in a wall and firing rockets" levels of badness courtesy of the Conduit, it should still be alright to hop on and play.

The shame is that it's these sorts of cases that really highlight how shortsighted Nintendo's lack of persistent user accounts is.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:
Seems like their are some. Unlocking all the weapons via hack seems to be an in-game hack. Changing how you gain exp, etc as well. Game breaking. This pisses me off.
Nah, it not breaks more stuff than someone playing 24x7. When real hacking appears then yes, be pissed. But since CoD:BO seems to use different servers, im very hopeful of that game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Game hacking exists in all consoles. Of course Nintendo sucks at dealing with it

Picked my copy today. Awesome. Should have gone with CC bundle. Wii Aiming sucks ass :lol

Teknoman

Relix said:
Game hacking exists in all consoles. Of course Nintendo sucks at dealing with it

Picked my copy today. Awesome. Should have gone with CC bundle. Wii Aiming sucks ass :lol

Try messing with the settings abit.

Also we could still have online gaf battles or something.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I have a 42 inch TV. Should the sensor bar go above or below the screen? I am getting many "X" moments with the pointer... and I am sitting a few feet away from the screen. Really getting to me =/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Relix said:
I have a 42 inch TV. Should the sensor bar go above or below the screen? I am getting many "X" moments with the pointer... and I am sitting a few feet away from the screen. Really getting to me =/

A few feet of distance is better in my experience. unless you sit on the floor or your TV stand is really high, I recommend the sensor bar on top. Otherwise, is just matter of getting used to the control scheme and learn the limits of the camera.

Teknoman

Relix said:

I have it below the screen (dont have the game yet, but never had issues with Metroid Prime Trilogy or Conduit). Not sure if you've played other Wii FPS, but if you just use it like a mouse, you should be fine.

Threi

notag
a lot of the time spotty IR sensing can be solved easily by turning up the sensitivity in the wii menu settings, people just always forget about that option.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Relix said:

seems it is your setup that is giving you problems. ponter controls are great. they just take a long time to set up properly. make sure that your setup is good. perfectly smooth pointer on the wii menu. then tweek with the in game settings. make sure there are no lights near or behind your tv. sensor bar above should work.

jlevel13

I got to play some of the other online modes tonight - seems like more people are picking this up. Golden gun is good fun. The team objective stuff (Black Box and Goldeneye) less so because it's pretty hard to have worthwhile teamwork w/o voice or at least text chat. I didn't get to try Heroes (nobody in the playlist when I tried), though it sounds more interesting. The three locked modes are actually the ones I'm most interested in, License to Kill (basically hardcore) and Classic Conflict (Bond Villains) - I'm only at level 8 though, so some grinding to do yet to get to try those out :(

I'm doing okay with the pointer controls, but I think I'm going to pick up the classic controller pro tomorrow and give that a shot to see if I like it better. The main thing that bugs me with the Wii remote is that when I die I can't stop myself from unconsciously relaxing the remote - the unfortunate result being that half the time I spawn back the remote has gone off sync & I've sometimes been killed before I've even been able to get a cursor back on the screen.

Gilby

I have one question that will determine how soon/if I buy this game:

Can I lock the cursor in the centre of the screen?
(I don't understand why every wii FPS game doesn't have this option.)

Game arrived yesterday! Only played Offline Multiplayer but so far it has been good. Anyone know why they decided to not do widescreen?

antonz

Putting some time into Golden Gun mode. Now I remember why so many friends would refuse to play golden gun mode with me. I am a freaking monster if I got my hands on it lol. Nothing like finishing a match and getting like 10 accolades.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Got the game today.

Liking it a lot so far. The SP campaign is really impressive, I'm liking it more then I thought.

Multiplayer is decent. Frame rate drops can get annoying and that one nightclub map totally sucks and is more laggy then other maps, I find. Though, so far my online experience with it has been really good apart from that one random laggy map.

jlevel13 said:
I got to play some of the other online modes tonight - seems like more people are picking this up. Golden gun is good fun. The team objective stuff (Black Box and Goldeneye) less so because it's pretty hard to have worthwhile teamwork w/o voice or at least text chat. I didn't get to try Heroes (nobody in the playlist when I tried), though it sounds more interesting. The three locked modes are actually the ones I'm most interested in, License to Kill (basically hardcore) and Classic Conflict (Bond Villains) - I'm only at level 8 though, so some grinding to do yet to get to try those out :(

I'm doing okay with the pointer controls, but I think I'm going to pick up the classic controller pro tomorrow and give that a shot to see if I like it better. The main thing that bugs me with the Wii remote is that when I die I can't stop myself from unconsciously relaxing the remote - the unfortunate result being that half the time I spawn back the remote has gone off sync & I've sometimes been killed before I've even been able to get a cursor back on the screen.
It is true about the teamwork thing. Not so much because of lack of chat, but because some people are stupid. My first GoldenEye match: awesome, epic struggle to keep the majority of the consoles. I had a blast and I figured out how to use flash bangs and smoke grenades which help a lot in that mode. Match or two later I get paired with dumb asses who did nothing to help me. I got most the consoles hacked accolade despite us getting our asses kicked?? WTF team. Anyway do you guys want to swap FCs so maybe we can get a team going and kick some ass.

Also, I wish there was a Team Golden Gun. Gun kicks ass. Maybe give it to the hero on Heroes? Doubt they can even update it using Nintendo's shit service, but WaW ended up getting new playlists added so you never know.

Gilby said:
I have one question that will determine how soon/if I buy this game:

Can I lock the cursor in the centre of the screen?
(I don't understand why every wii FPS game doesn't have this option.)
Yes, hold A. Every Wii FPS I have played has had this. Then again I haven't played many. :lol
Shadowlink said:
Anyone know why they decided to not do widescreen?
Wait, wtf? Is this true?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yup. Those fixes made the game a lot more enjoyable :D :D

Is there any way to quick turn around?

Effect

As long as the hacking isn't wide spread I guess I can deal. :( I hope more people know how to play GoldenEye mode in the future though. Actually capture the computers and when someone is capturing one cover them. No voice chat is really needed for this. Only simple awareness of what is going on. This has to my least favorite mode at the moment. Kind of annoying as well since this is the mode I was most looking forward to.

The night club is pretty dark in single player. Great atmosphere but hard to see but then again maybe it's suppose to be that way. Though you waste a lot of ammo as a result. I like that map online though a lot.

Top Bottom