• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba Regza HDTVs + PSP + Game Mode Portable Zoom

duckroll

I'm wondering if anyone has actual hands-on experience with this technology. It seems to be something that I don't hear much about anywhere from forums or mainstream press, but certain Japanese PSP developers like Square Enix seem to be raving about the technology.

Basically on Toshiba's Regza HDTV sets, they have something known as a game mode display, which controls the picture output and scales it such that no information is lost due to overscan ande whatnot. But at the same time, it also supports a Portable Zoom feature which allows PSP output (from the 2000 or 3000 series) to be scaled to full screen with pretty solid picture quality.

This seems really cool and from the looks of impressions from Tabata at S-E, and videos on Youtube, it looks like you basically get a full screen PS2 quality experience from the PSP on the HDTV without any CFW. Is this really as good as it looks? Does anyone play their PSP games this way?

Videos:
Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bLi2N87wk
Monster Hunter Portable 2G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeCUyT5jBs
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGSee_cfl4

Foffy

Banned
I wish I had that TV. My Samsung will only stretch the image to fit the screen in a 4:3 form, which also crops a bit of the top and bottom away. And the sides are just black borders

The Regza one looks pretty damn stellar, too. :D

I don't know about the HDTV sets, but I have a device called the LKV7000 that upscales PSP to full screen.

It mostly works fine except it slightly crops the top and bottom of the screen. There is supposedly a slight delay associated with upscaling too (1-2 frames, similar to PS3 upscaling PS2 games). But it was pretty cheap and included everything. There is an HDMI version (LKV8000) that is a bit more expensive, but I got VGA so I could use it on my TV. Oh, and the HDMI/8000 model supposedly works with a PSP Go. The PSP Go lets you use a dual shock 3 as a controller via bluetooth, so that is probably the ideal setup.

The XBR3 does full screen psp scaling too

duckroll

Linkzg said:
I don't know about the HDTV sets, but I have a device called the LKV7000 that upscales PSP to full screen.

It mostly works fine except it slightly crops the top and bottom of the screen. There is supposedly a slight delay associated with upscaling too (1-2 frames, similar to PS3 upscaling PS2 games). But it was pretty cheap and included everything. There is an HDMI version (LKV8000) that is a bit more expensive, but I got VGA so I could use it on my TV. Oh, and the HDMI/8000 model supposedly works with a PSP Go. The PSP Go lets you use a dual shock 3 as a controller via bluetooth, so that is probably the ideal setup.

The XBR3 does full screen psp scaling too

Yeah I know about upscaling devices, but what interests me in this particular case is that it's a built in feature on a major HDTV brand which seems specifically tailored for PSP play in fullscreen without any drawbacks. It's pretty interesting and I want to know if anyone actually has experience with using this feature, and the TVs in general.

Afrikan

I have a Toshiba 1080p 120hz Regza TV that came out last year...

I don't ever use game mode though.

but I use the Zoom feature ALL the time... from watching 4+ streams at once from my laptop connected to the screen...then I zoom in..to fill up the screen..

for PC games, I have played Crysis at a lower windowed resolution, then I would zoom in to fill up the screen...

don't know if this is the same thing yall are talking about though.

Phloxy

Love using this. Don't have that tv though. But the tv we have in the living room basically does this and that plus my PSPGo and the dual shock are how I play all my psp stuff. Love it.

gamingeek

I have a regza and the scaling is sharp but adds jaggies.

It's resolution + tech is overated honestly. Bravia engine 3 TVs are better I hear.

mehdi_san

Don't have a Regza at home, but they had them everywhere at TGS. I remember The 3rd Birthday looking really really good on that.

edbrat

Phloxy said:
Love using this. Don't have that tv though. But the tv we have in the living room basically does this and that plus my PSPGo and the dual shock are how I play all my psp stuff. Love it.

wow next tv i get will have this capability, would use my pspgo so much more with it.

Top Bottom