• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: PlayStation Move Sales Reach Over 4.1 Million...(shipped to retail)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Didn't see this posted.

PLAYSTATION®MOVE MOTION CONTROLLER SALES REACH

OVER 4.1 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

Remarkable Milestone Achieved in Just 2 Months since Its Release in September

Tokyo, November 30, 2010 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the sales of PlayStation®Move motion controller for the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system reached over 4.1 million units worldwide*1. The milestone was reached in just 2 months since its release in September for North America, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, and 1 month since the release in October for Japan. The number not only shows clear success of the launch of the new motion sensing controller but also indicates positive momentum going in to the holiday season and to the year 2011.

PlayStation Move motion controller is used in combination with the PlayStation®Eye camera*2 to detect the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of the user, thereby allowing users to intuitively play as if they are within the game. Delivering the most realistic and immersive experience, PlayStation Move not only captures user's motion but also player's image itself to offer new augmented reality experiences in select games.

PlayStation Move offers more than 25 supported/dedicated titles for Europe/PAL territories up to date with vast line-up of software titles from all genres and all types of audiences. Some of the successful titles include Sports Champions, Start the Party, EyePet Move Edition, MAG, SingStar Dance and more. Upcoming PlayStation Move titles include the platform-defining franchises like Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 that will further establish PlayStation Move as the must have motion experience for casual and hard-core gamers alike.

More than 41.6 million PS3 system has been sold globally*3 and despite entering its 5th year since launch, the system is yet to record another year of success. PS3, equipped with sophisticated processing units as well as future proof cutting-edge technologies, unfolded its potential, this year, with the introduction of PlayStation Move and stereoscopic 3D capabilities. SCEI will further continue to deliver strong value to the platform and will accelerate the growth of the platform by vigorously enhancing the entertainment experience only possible on the PlayStation® platform.

*1 Number as of November 2010. Cumulative number since its release date, September 15 for Europe/PAL territories and Asian countries/regions, September 19 for North America and October 21 for Japan. The number does not include sales of stand-alone PlayStation®Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation®Move navigation controller.

*2 Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy PlayStation Move motion controller on PS3®.

*3 Number as of September 2010.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What ??

Oh god... time to eat some crow... and my hat too ! :(

CozMick

Banned
Holy shit, that is an incredible amount of pink spheres!

Tumble is worth the purchase of PS MOVE alone.

Buy Tumble GAF

Ha! The Kinect PR put a shot across the bow and Sony returns fire :lol

EDIT:

And, yes, nice numbers for Move sales, but no indications from the UK charts, Media-Create/Famitsu or NPD that Move software sales are matching up yet.

How do they count, i thought they counted everything as a move sku so navi controller, move controller, camera etc?. Still good numbers.

Crisco

Banned
In before "but people buy more than one motion controller!!!!". Did I do that right?

In all seriousness, this is good news. It's a pretty solid piece of tech and hopefully this means it'll get good developer support.

justjohn

supermackem said:
How do they count, i thought they counted everything as a move sku so navi controller, move controller, camera etc?. Still good numbers.
I hope you're not trying to doubt this report.

agm2502

supermackem said:

Read the op, it is only counting the move controller with the sphere.

Majine

Banned
supermackem said:
Camera and navicon doesn't count, read again.

apana

What does this mean? A single move controller without the camera counts?

Edit: I see, that isnt as big of a deal.

CozMick

Banned
justjohn said:

*Looks at his PSN account*

Online 3 days ago......................I believe he is, GET HIM GAF! :lol

Buttons.

BUTTONS!!!

Yoshiya

supermackem said:
Sony PR said:
The number does not include sales of stand-alone PlayStation®Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation®Move navigation controller.

sangreal

supermackem said:

*1 Number as of November 2010. Cumulative number since its release date, September 15 for Europe/PAL territories and Asian countries/regions, September 19 for North America and October 21 for Japan. The number does not include sales of stand-alone PlayStation®Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation®Move navigation controller.

justjohn said:

How so?, im wondering as its worded so. The first shipped numbers back at launch counted all the bits of move as move i just wondering if this is just move controllers or all the parts as well.

FrankT

So basically since when mid Ocotber they have done 1.6 million more? And basically if Pachter is to be believed it had done 400k(actual sale through to customer) or so by the end of October in the US. Europe must be a beast or Nov NPD they did some amazing numbers.

It has managed this with an average at best retail launch line up too.

2011 should be a good year for it, even though we have few retail games announced thus far. I reckon Sony have a few things up their sleeve. OPM has hinted at some big third party games too.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Probably sold to retailers so it's not directly comparable with the Kinect numbers.

Ah, good point - nothing in the PR suggesting that this is sold to retail or sold to consumers.

...and:

the system is yet to record another year of success

Slightly awkward wording? ;-)

TheOddOne

Nuclear Muffin said:
Probably sold to retailers so it's not directly comparable with the Kinect numbers.
I read the text 2 times but could not figure out if it was sold to retailers or customers.

Massa

Door2Dawn said:
It's still going to fizzle out like the Kinect, so who cares :/

It won't because of the variety of games that can be played with it, as well as the ease of supporting it optionally alongside the Dual Shock 3.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I can't buy the second Move controller because every store here (Finland, Oulu) says it is impossible to get. "Good luck finding it. Move providers say next year is possible"
That is definitely going to criple my christmas plans of 2 player gaming.

justjohn

DieH@rd said:
Good news for sony and 3rd party devs. More hardware = more potential for software sales.
Pretty much. I never doubted Sony for a second. I really hope they port re4 over though :)

It is literally impossible to parse a userbase from these stats, even omitting the nav and standalone camera sales. If the controller attach rate is identical to Wii households, that would reflect ~2 million consoles using Sony's motion control, which is still a very good number, more than I anticipated.

Rolf NB

supermackem said:
How do they count, i thought they counted everything as a move sku so navi controller, move controller, camera etc?
How do you get that from this:
PR said:
sales of PlayStation®Move motion controller for the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system

Majine

Banned
supermackem said:
So theyve sold to consumers 4.1m bundles wtf if true. My two stand alones and navi dont count then?.

The standalone Move controller most definately count. Why are people so incapable of reading?

Top Bottom