• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion sickness -- How do you deal with it?

Hieberrr

I've known that I had motion sickness the moment I began playing my first shooter, Halo. I was never interested in FPS or any games that required guns until Halo blew up on the Xbox and I decided to give it a try. Within minutes.. literally around 1-2 minutes into the actual game, my felt my head wobble, I felt the food in my stomach creeping up.. I couldn't handle it.

This happens with pretty much every single third person shooter and FPS game ssuch as COD, GTA, etc... I have yet to find a game in that category that won't force me to quit after a short session.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and bought TF2 through Steam, even though I fully knew that I wasn't going to be able to play it for a long time. It was 5 bucks... can you blame me? I love this game already, but my god... after 15-20 minutes, that same feeling comes back and haunts me.

I read that ginger sort of makes it more tolerable. But is there any actual fix or more effective method of dealing with this outside of medication?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Frame lock, and 60fps if possible, do wonders for me. Also, avoid deep of field and motion blur.

I have motion sickness with old FPSes (Duke Nukem 3D for example). Not sure why. I just can't enjoy a game like this anymore sadly.

Dragmire

14y70g4.jpg

Hieberrr

Lonely1 said:
Frame lock, and 60fps if possible, do wonders for me. Also, avoid deep of field and motion blur.

Huh.. I didn't know I could do this. I'll look for this the next time I boot it up. Hopefully it'll help :D

MikeE21286 said:
I get motion sickness like 90% of the time playing portables on a car/plane/bus/etc.

I just don't play em :/

I've kept myself away from those games for years, but I really wanted to try this. I guess, this may be my only option :(

Fantasy Final said:
I have motion sickness with old FPSes (Duke Nukem 3D for example). Not sure why. I just can't enjoy a game like this anymore sadly.

Tell me about it... it makes me so sad when I hear about how many players each game has :'(

stuminus3

I don't get motion sickness, but for some reason if I'm playing a portable game on a train and the ride gets a little bumpy, I get motion rage. It's weird. Like seriously, I just want to punch the shit out of whoever is sitting closest to me just because I'm getting jostled about a little by a rough train ride. It goes away when I put the game down. o_O

RSB

Banned
apana said:
Only in cars when I was a kid. I wonder why I never got it while playing games?
Same here, I've never experienced any kind of motion sickness while playing a game (not even those that are supposed to make you feel dizzy) Oh, and I still get motion sickness in cars (although only when I'm not the one driving) :D

Bye ;)

TheUsual

Gold Member
The only time I've felt motion sickness was when I was watching someone play Kane & Lynch 2 and having the camera shake around. When I play it though, I don't feel sick at all. Weird.

Hieberrr

Now that the whole car thing has been brought up. I was fine with cars up until maybe.. a few years ago, when I would always get a little iffy when sitting in the back seat. If I drive or if Im in the passenger side, then I'm fine.

There's also a distinct smell that I smell when I get this feeling. Or maybe its the other way around.. there is always a distinct car smell that makes me feel this way. But yeah.. definitely in the back seat.. shit sucks.

dwu8991

Banned
In Super Street Fighter 4, Juri's stage, that gave a lot of motion sickness with the camera moving up and down and all the colours and environments popping. I thought i was having an ecliptic seizure moment, like that pikachu episode in Japan.
It's also one of the best 3d stages, so the effects are doubled.
I can imagine people will complain when they play this on the nintendo 3ds.:lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
jaxword said:
Anyone tried any drugs, like Dramamine or something?
I tried (once) while playing Gears of War. Stupid shaking camera, still like the game though. And my motion sickness (while playing that game) went away.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The only time I've ever experience motion sickness was CoD4 single-player. And after that, it just sort of went away. It helped to look away from the screen every so often to re-orient my eyes though.

Papa

Banned
As much as I love the game, I haven't been able to finish my replay of HL2 because I start feeling ill within 30 mins of playing. Weird thing is, although I remember feeling this way on my first playthrough way back in 2004/2005, I don't remember feeling any sort of sickness in the latter half of the game. Also, I've logged hundreds of hours in TF2 without a problem, so I'm not sure why it's just HL2 that does it to me.

Old FPS's get to my stomach. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, HL, even HL2. Changing the FOV to 90 degrees helps though. Any camera bobble? Turn it off. I tried the latest LURK mod for STALKER. Made me want to make my stomach fly out of my mouth.

AT LEAST locked 30fps. 60fps locked is great. I have most my games locked at 120 though, which makes me feel fine.

matt404au said:
As much as I love the game, I haven't been able to finish my replay of HL2 because I start feeling ill within 30 mins of playing. Weird thing is, although I remember feeling this way on my first playthrough way back in 2004/2005, I don't remember feeling any sort of sickness in the latter half of the game. Also, I've logged hundreds of hours in TF2 without a problem, so I'm not sure why it's just HL2 that does it to me.

Same. I play TF2 almost daily, and I have ZERO problem with that game, but HL2 makes me real sick.

Portal? Ugh... 3 hours at most... (lol half the game).

Papa

Banned
phosphor112 said:
Old FPS's get to my stomach. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, HL, even HL2. Changing the FOV to 90 degrees helps though. Any camera bobble? Turn it off. I tried the latest LURK mod for STALKER. Made me want to make my stomach fly out of my mouth.

AT LEAST locked 30fps. 60fps locked is great. I have most my games locked at 120 though, which makes me feel fine.

Same. I play TF2 almost daily, and I have ZERO problem with that game, but HL2 makes me real sick.

Portal? Ugh... 3 hours at most... (lol half the game).

I had no issue with Portal either. It's only HL2 that does it to me. I've tried changing Field of View and some other things but to no avail.

matt404au said:
I had no issue with Portal either. It's only HL2 that does it to me. I've tried changing Field of View and some other things but to no avail.
I'm not sure wtf they did. Hell, console FPS's don't make me sick (unless they have ridiculous frame drops + screen tearing below 30 fps)

Hieberrr

Sorry for being a noob, but how do I lock my framerate? I just changed my FOV to 90 and it seems like it's helping a little :)

You can change the angle of the field of view to something more natural. It helps with a lot of people. I think HL is 90 degrees but changing it can make people feel better.

Hieberrr said:
Sorry for being a noob, but how do I lock my framerate? I just changed my FOV to 90 and it seems like it's helping a little :)

Well, your hardware needs to be capable enough. My laptop (godly ASUS G73) can hit 299(max) fps on Source games. Though, I don't run it on max because I don't need to, giving me extra frames just in case (also easier on the power supply).

Each game has a different way of locking the FPS. Easiest way is selecting "vsync." MOST games will not only prevent screen tearing with that, but will lock the FPS at a certain frame rate as well.

In source games just use "fps_max 60" in console, or what ever you want it to make sure it wont go above... of course you need certain hardware requirements to keep it at 60. Lower settings to let your computer keep it at around that.

Like I said, I lock my FPS at 121fps (since putting it at 120 usually gives 119fps), it'll dip to 80 at times in ultra ridiculous firefights but for the most part it will keep it at a silky smooth 120fps.

Hieberrr

phosphor112 said:
Well, your hardware needs to be capable enough. My laptop (godly ASUS G73) can hit 299(max) fps on Source games. Though, I don't run it on max because I don't need to, giving me extra frames just in case (also easier on the power supply).

Each game has a different way of locking the FPS. Easiest way is selecting "vsync." MOST games will not only prevent screen tearing with that, but will lock the FPS at a certain frame rate as well.

In source games just use "fps_max 60" in console, or what ever you want it to make sure it wont go above... of course you need certain hardware requirements to keep it at 60. Lower settings to let your computer keep it at around that.

Like I said, I lock my FPS at 121fps (since putting it at 120 usually gives 119fps), it'll dip to 80 at times in ultra ridiculous firefights but for the most part it will keep it at a silky smooth 120fps.

Hmm.. I don't have a beast for sure.

But I have enabled vsync and that didn't really help noticeably. It's the same as it was before.

any slow fps gives me motion sickness/a headache. its weird though, if im playing with friends or im playing a "fast" fps like ut2k4 or something, its non-existent, or at least tolerable. halo reach was borderline unplayable for me during the campaign because of their frequent use of it to compensate for the low fps.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Hieberrr said:
I read that ginger sort of makes it more tolerable. But is there any actual fix or more effective method of dealing with this outside of medication?
Ginger pills are incredible at crushing nausea. Superior to Dramamine.

FoxSpirit

Fantasy Final said:

Actually, I suspect the high grade of pixel noise to be the culprit. Those games gave me such a headache >.<
And when other people played and I watched and they started to rotate wildly all over the place... *stomach starts to complain violently*

@phosphor: Not to mention if you have a 120Hz display you get a good boost in motion clarity if you can support it.

But yeah, good FoV, high and stable frame rate, AF, a dash of AA and a good display go miles in reducing motion sickness.

I don't really get motion sickness, but I do feel disorientated when I play games with a low field of vision (unfortunately, quite a lot of games these days).

Off the top of my head, it happened with the Turok (PS3/360/PC ver) demo. Other games like Modern Warfare 2 get bad when you're up close to the enemy. I wish all games had an adjustable fov, or at least a way to change some files to get it to work on PC; I prefer over 85.

suzu

I used to get that way with some FPS games even when I wasn't playing (just watching). It eventually went away after I kept trying to play them lol. If I don't play any for a long time, I get all sick again.

Vaporak

Small field of views make me motion sick, needs to be ~75 degrees minimum in order for me not to feel like I'm gonna puke just from seeing the screen. I don't even have to be playing, just watching for a few seconds is enough to make me feel like shit. Only solution really is to only play shooters on PC where I can change the FOV if I need to, basically all console shooters are unplayable for me because of this.

Ginger.

Sip on some Ginger Ale, (make sure it contains actual ginger) or talk to your doctor about taking ginger supplements.

1stStrike

Banned
I've only known one person IRL who actually got motion sickness from games, but she went from a hot chick to living in vermont as a farmer's apprentice in a 10x10 cabin with no electricity... not sure what happened in the time I was gone 0_o

I've not found any game yet that can bother me with motion sickness, but sometimes heights get to me in a game. Like, I actually get scared of falling and my hands start sweating.

This most recently happened to me in infamous when I was climbing that giant fucking junk tower and the city was waaaaay below me.

1stStrike said:
I've not found any game yet that can bother me with motion sickness, but sometimes heights get to me in a game. Like, I actually get scared of falling and my hands start sweating.

This most recently happened to me in infamous when I was climbing that giant fucking junk tower and the city was waaaaay below me.

This happens to me. I get nervous standing on top of buildings and cliffs. When I fall from great heights, it feels like my colon is going to slide out of my asshole. I'm fine if I'm in an aircraft though.

Hieberrr

I changed the FOV to 90 and that seemed to have done the trick. Fuck console shooters! PC lives on!

Gunloc said:
Ginger.

Sip on some Ginger Ale, (make sure it contains actual ginger) or talk to your doctor about taking ginger supplements.

I've got to try this!

Vaporak

Hieberrr said:
I changed the FOV to 90 and that seemed to have done the trick. Fuck console shooters! PC lives on!

Glad to hear that your problem was the same as mine and just needed a shot of PC gaming to fix it up. :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's completely unrelated to any game discussed here but so far the only game that's actually made me physically feel "sick" playing it was FF Tactics War of the Lions on the PSP, the small font size made me squeeze my eyes too much and I usually ended with a head ache after one session of that game.

mm04

Half-Life 2 on 360 made me feel nauseous in the worst way. Occassionally other console FPS's make me feel some motion sickness. On PC, I haven't had the sensation in a long time. I'm guessing stable framerate has something to do with it.

Oreoleo

matt404au said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Metro 2033 gave me motion sickness too.

There's a fix for the narrow FOV you can download somewhere. Can't be bothered though, sorry :)

Gunloc said:
Ginger.

Seasickness pills are just ginger, so this is a pretty good idea actually.

Top Bottom