• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight Night Champions Update - No Move/3D/Kinect support

shwimpy

EA-Sports-Fight-Night-Champion-Coming-In-2011.jpg

Video explaining the new controls.

In addition to a revamped and improved Legacy Mode, Champion Mode takes you through the life of Andre Bishop and his path to becoming a Champion. We’re stoked about this first opportunity for an EA Sports title to have a dramatic game mode with mature themes. I think our boxing fans will feel connected with our hero and really want to get to that next chapter to see how the story all plays out.

The big question from PlayStation Fight Night fans will most definitely be about gameplay. The biggest improvement that the team made was implanting a new control scheme dubbed Full Spectrum Punch Control. I asked Producer Brian Hayes what the inspiration behind the new controls came from.

“So the first thing we decided to do was remove the need for all the quarter-circle or half circle gestures on the analog stick,” continues Hayes, “Now it’s a lot easier to throw punches. It’s also gentler on your thumbs and nicer on your controller. A lot of people tell us all the time about how many controllers they have worn out, hopefully that will be a thing of the past too.”

Look out for the demo to drop on the PlayStation Network in February and look up my PSN ID EA_sk88z if you need a lesson or two in the school of hard knocks once Fight Night Champion drops March 1st!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-punch-control-saves-your-thumbs-controllers/

I series that I've never been interested in but I was actually pretty excited about Move/Kinect support.

Oh well...

rvy said:
Oh, hell yeah.
Oh well, Fight Night is one of the worst franchises I've ever played. Hell, Genesis had better boxing games than this. It needs a major overhaul and needs newer game-modes for casual for it's way too hardcore for it's own good. It's one of the reason why Skateboarding/music franchises are failing cause either they are too casual or too hardcore. They need to find a middleground and Move/Kinect will make this hardcore game appealing to casuals.

Everything doesn't need to be Modern Warfare.

No Move/Eye or Kinect controls for Boxing? Total fail! I loved that Konami Arcade Motion tracknig boxing game, what was that again? I want that and 911 for Kinect and or Move. They should see it as a two in one pack.

Pimpbaa said:
"Gamers" actually wanting move/kinect support is fail.
*sigh* It's like saying drinking sucks; but you can't cause you haven't tried it!

After playing The Fight: Lights Out, the awesomeness of Move implementation is a lot, especially when done right. You, sir, are a fail for not admiring the fluidity and naturality of motion implementation on basic games like boxing or darts or tennis.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
thehillissilent said:
If this game doesn't have Move/kinect support, that is a major fail :(

I agree. I can't believe they'd omit something like this. Maybe if us gamers put up enough of a racket they'll include it eventually. The Fight: Lights Out is one of the better games out on Move right now too.

KiNeSiS

Banned
It doesn't concern me at this moment in time, as I have neither.
Still I would have preferred that both were supported.
This reeks of laziness on the part of the Dev teams!
It would be great to have a high quality game to get your cardio flowing well.
Specifically a "real" boxing game....

Pimpbaa

parasight said:
So if you like Kinect/Move and want to see it supported in the industry by third-parties, you're not a real "gamer"?

Yes, now stop helping the de-evolution of gameplay by supporting this crap.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Messi said:
Why is Floyd Mayweather never in these games? I wanna knock his ass out with pacman :lol

It's because he is also ducking & dodging Pacquiao in the virtual arena as well....
He wants no part of The Pac-Man!

Zachack

The Faceless Master said:
how much would they have to dumb down the game to be able to have Move/Kinect support?
None for Kinect? It's not like you wander around in the ring in previous versions and many of the actions would become both simpler and more complex by moving towards motions. The only thing that might be tough would be the actual punching/blocking and that could be accomplished with the controller, while ducks/weaves and hand placement could be handled with the camera. Or they could use the camera for everything and put in slowdown modifiers (since I'm not as fast as a real boxer) if you're using Kinect.

Yeah I know, right? How fucking dare they not tack on some shitty motion control option that would suck. The nerve of these fuckers. THE NERVE, I SAY.

kitch9

Banned
No buy for me......

After playing The Fight, normal thumb controlled boxing games can fuck right off.

By the way EA, the fucking thumb control stuff is shit. (IMO.)

If I'm completely honest, I think it would take another generational leap in visuals or good motion control support to get me excited about one of these again.

Pimpbaa

kitch9 said:
Come back when you've played some stuff.

I used kinect and own the move set. It sucks, sucks so much that I built myself a gaming PC. I dunno why console gamers are so eager to destroy their own hobby with gimmicky crap.

Zachack said:
None for Kinect? It's not like you wander around in the ring in previous versions and many of the actions would become both simpler and more complex by moving towards motions. The only thing that might be tough would be the actual punching/blocking and that could be accomplished with the controller, while ducks/weaves and hand placement could be handled with the camera. Or they could use the camera for everything and put in slowdown modifiers (since I'm not as fast as a real boxer) if you're using Kinect.

Everything but the movement part is handled quite well with fight night:lights out. However, the lag is noticable w/ controllers so I have a hard time believing it wouldnt be there with kinect. From my viewpoint kinect and move would have the same issues.

Kabuki Waq said:
every single motion controlled boxing experience has SUCKED so far. why would you guys want it for this?

meh thats not true. I am at least enjoying fight night: lights out but there are many that dont. One just has to learn the gameplay mechanics and it works beautifully. The main point is this may not be a game to use these motion controls.

Motion/Tracking Controls for a boxing game done properly are not a gimmick. Assuming minimal lag, Ill be there day 1 when somebody implements a proper boxing game for Move&Eye/Kinect. Especially if there is online support.

By the way here is the game I was referring to earlier.

118124213881.jpg

Brinbe

Hooray, was never quite good at consistently pulling off those analog motions, so I appreciate these changes. :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
These guys still don't realize (apparently) there's more to boxing than just throwing punches. Looks like you're still stuck in place when you block and dodge.

It's so retarded. :lol

abuC

recklessmind said:
These guys still don't realize (apparently) there's more to boxing than just throwing punches. Looks like you're still stuck in place when you block and dodge.

It's so retarded. :lol

Yeah, Im a huge boxing fan and boxed a bit when I was a kid, so all these garbage boxing games just make me sad :(

I always wanted a physics based boxing game, where you have to step into your punches for more power rather than just using some stupid modifier. Why don't punches have individual ratings too, I could go on but it'll make me even sadder :(

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I really liked FNR3. The fourth game would've been awesome hadn't they removed the career mode. I hope this one solves this.

Doodis

Pimpbaa said:
I used kinect and own the move set. It sucks, sucks so much that I built myself a gaming PC. I dunno why console gamers are so eager to destroy their own hobby with gimmicky crap.
Because there are lots of different types of "fun." Some types of fun require a controller in your hands. Some other types of fun don't. But apparently you only know about one type of fun.

beat

"So the first thing we decided to do was remove the need for all the quarter-circle or half circle gestures on the analog stick," continues Hayes, "Now it's a lot easier to throw punches. It's also gentler on your thumbs and nicer on your controller. A lot of people tell us all the time about how many controllers they have worn out, hopefully that will be a thing of the past too."
Good start. How about just using the damn buttons?

Who is it at EA who mandated the "must use right thumbstick for everything" rule?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I waited until FN4 was patched with the buttons before I bought it. Can we use buttons right out of the gate? If not, I'll change my preorder to something else.

Top Bottom