• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MC of Nintendo 3DS Euro event claims surprises, fans speculate maybe Metroid 3DS

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
As we all (well most) know, Jonathan Ross will be hosting the Nintendo 3DS Preview Conference in Amsterdam 9AM EST Wednesday. Johnathan Ross, being the big gaming nerd he is, seems to be rather excited about it and has been tweeting his heart away! Here are some examples of his Nintendo tweteing awesomeness (don't worry, it's ok to be jealous).

Johnathan Ross said:
I have been invited by Nintendo to host a conference next week that gives out info on the 3DS. Tried it yesterday! Booyah!

Johnathan Ross said:
What I can say about 3DS is that the 3D is far better than I would have thought possible without glasses. Can be switched to regular 2D!

Johnathan Ross said:
The games that seem to benefit the most are the driving and shooting games – the perspective makes it all feel more accurate

Johnathan Ross said:
A few other faves coming as well – plus a few unexpected revivals!

Of course it is possible that Mr. Ross hasn't been keeping up with all the 3DS information lately, so I wasn't too excited.... until I saw this!

Johnathan Ross Twitter fan said:
It's absolutely fine, I don't expect you to spill anything, it's nice to have a surprise. I have my fingers crossed for Metroid..

Johnathan Ross's Reply said:
I think you're going to be pleased then...

Metroid? Coming for 3DS?!?!? OH MY!!!! If it happens, will it be a remake or a brand new entry? And who will be making it? Retro, Sakamoto, NST, or even Team Ninja.... Guess we find out on in less then two days!

You can view Johnathan Ross's twitter here.

UPDATE:

You started a lot of 3DS rumours! You meant @_________ will be pleased about general surprises not about a Metroid 3DS didn't you?

Johnathan Ross said:
yes. Why? Did he think I meant new Meteoid?

Hmmm....is Mr. Ross doing some damage control now or is did he actually miss-speak?

Boney

Banned
Prolly nothing really. Maybe it was the diorama, or and best Hunters 2 and nobody wants that.

That said give me Dread or Other M 2 with me on the team and I'd fucking go crazy.

Gravijah said:
Can't wait for Pinball 2.

I am serious.
You haven't played Pinball, but it is indeed awesome. Best Prime game by far.

StuBurns

Banned
I think he's saying he has his fingers crossed for a future Metroid on the 3DS, not that it's the reveal at the show, he wouldn't post that.

Skiesofwonder

UPDATE:

You started a lot of 3DS rumours! You meant @_________ will be pleased about general surprises not about a Metroid 3DS didn't you?

Johnathan Ross said:
yes. Why? Did he think I meant new Meteoid?

Hmmm....is Mr. Ross doing some damage control now or is did he actually miss-speak?

The way he worded that answer makes me think he is hiding something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
Finally, Metroid Prime Hunters 2: What Is This Franchise Anymore.
New character Morflex has +5 stamina and can command other units, Samus has -5 agility due to constant longing for Baby

Gravijah

Y2Kev said:
New character Morflex has +5 stamina and can command other units, Samus has -5 agility due to constant longing for Baby

Do we have word on how itemization of the next tier of gear is going to look? I'm hoping for more variety.

Y2Kev said:
Samus picks up her rocket launcher and battle rifle and jetpack as she jumps into a Space Pirate Hover-Skiff.

StuBurns

Banned
Willy105 said:
You know what, I think Nintendo is putting too much resources on the 3DS if this is true. What about the Wii?
They only have a limited number of developers. The 3DS is far more important than the Wii.

Gravijah said:
Do we have word on how itemization of the next tier of gear is going to look? I'm hoping for more variety.
Not yet, but I've heard that the 3 killstreak is a personal Baby that attacks your enemies, 5 killstreak is a bombing run from Ridley, and the final 20 killstreak is Adam unauthorizing your enemies' gear.

Duderz

Banned
Metroid needs a rest - like Star Fox, it's clear Nintendo doesn't know what to do with the franchise at this point.

Emitan

Hunters was like Quake you could take with you anywhere. If it didn't have the Metroid branding it would have been perfect.

If this is another Other M put me on suicide watch. Just kidding, but this had better be a new 2D Metroid. I think it's sad when the last great traditional Metroid game was an XBLA title that wasn't even a part of the series. Shadow Complex was awesome.

Samus puts on her robe and wizard hat. Wait, what?

Srsly, though, I wouldn't be surprised at a new Hunters game. I really wanted to finish the first one but somehow lost my copy. It was pretty fun, even if it wasn't really much of a Metroid game. It felt more like a 3D Mega Man game with beating humanoid bosses to gain their power ups and each boss having a certain weakness to a power up.

Willy105 said:
You know what, I think Nintendo is putting too much resources on the 3DS if this is true. What about the Wii?

Wii is already making them money, 3DS is only proven on paper so far. They need to get people to buy it, so why would they spare the expense if they can print some more money when it launches?

Skiesofwonder

I just want Retro to have another shot at Metroid (if they want to). Because as amazing as DKCR is, I don't want them to just be making Donkey Kong side-scrollers for the next 5 or so years.

Other M made me really miss Retro's Metroid games a lot. :(

or at least give them a shot at a new IP

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We've had Retro's Metroid, and just recently had Team Ninja's Metroid.

Its time for Hideo Kojima's Metroid.

WillyFive

For the 3DS we already have Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, and if true, Metroid.

How about some restraint? Once you get over the shock, it seems like Nintendo has moved to the 3DS and restarting up their franchise cycle.

Meanwhile Xenoblade and Last Story stay in Japan, and the only guaranteed one is Zelda.

Nintendo only has a limited set of developers, after all.

Emitan

Willy105 said:
The Wii? It's almost irrelevant at this point. It's supported almost solely by Nintendo's games while the 3DS has amazing third party support. And with the 3DS's hardware being powerful enough to practically match the Wii, what's the point in focusing on a 5 year old system when there's a shiny new one to exploit?

Billychu said:
The Wii? It's almost irrelevant at this point. It's supported almost solely by Nintendo's games while the 3DS has amazing third party support. And with the 3DS's hardware being powerful enough to practically match the Wii, what's the point in focusing on a 5 year old system when there's a shiny new one to exploit?
This is the saddest yet truest point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Saint Gregory said:
This is the saddest yet truest point.

The saddest part is that in some areas, specifically programmable shaders, the 3DS outclasses the Wii quite easily.

Top Bottom