• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked

devilsurvivor3ds_faithful_announcement_1c.jpg

We knew it was coming but still, official announcement.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
would have preferred Strange Journey getting an update. 3D first person dungeon crawling up in this bitch

Chris R

xxracerxx said:
Fully voiced gives me a woody for Persona 5 on consoles.
You mean consoles like the 3DS or PSP2?

Currently watching the GiantBomb P4 Endurance Run... I need to get into SMT/Persona at some point :< looks like fun.

Guess I scrounge for a used copy of Strange Journey sometime this week.

Kurtofan

Nirolak said:
If you want niche Japanese games, I probably wouldn't suggest a European 3DS.
I want normal mainstream games and a few odd(Atlus) Japanese games.
Atlus are the last Japanese developpers who didn't realise that RPGs sell in Europe.

Pooya

Atlus needs to open shop in Europe, even Nippon Ichi stuff releases here, seriously.
Atlus games take like 6 months to arrive or never.

seady said:
Is the DS version hard to find?
I saw one copy at a local store today for $19 on clearance.

Dunno but you might as well wait. It's the same game plus extras. It'll be the superior version.

Lain

I would have preferred for them to announce Catherine instead, mostly because with region lock on the 3DS, I'll have to miss on this for a while.

OMG Aero

I really wish Atlus would get a Europe division. Theirs are the only games I'm really bothered about missing on the 3DS, and it's kinda stupid getting a different region system just for one company.

Lain

Volcynika said:
Every Atlus USA related thread, never fails!

I'm sorry! I loved Devil Survivor on the DS, but with the region lock on 3DS I won't be able to love this right away, so I can't help it but feel a bit disappointed that I'll have a game sitting there doing nothing for who knows how long (while there wouldn't be such a problem with Catherine >.>)! XD

iconoclast said:
I'll bend over and take it once I get a 3DS. No harm in replaying the best portable RPG ever made, I guess.

I think my opinion on the 3DS version will hinge upon 2 voices. Naoya needs to sound like crazy and Nikaido needs to sound like a douche (genuine).

Ratrat

Brobzoid said:
would have preferred Strange Journey getting an update. 3D first person dungeon crawling up in this bitch
hell yes! I never got to finish the game but I loved the 5 hours I had with it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sweet

as much as i love playing persona 4 right now, i would really get more play time in on a handheld.

fully voiced is great, too - i think the voice acting in P4 really helps you connect with the characters

JoeFenix

Is the original DS Survivor really THAT good? What exactly elevates it over similar strategy rpg titles?

I'm getting really interested, I didn't know the game was held in such high regards!

Yaweee

Hopefully they speed the game up a bit. The movement speed and attack effects felt pretty slow, even for the already slow SRPG genre.

Augemitbutter said:
you bailed out at the best time. game is getting worse and worse as you keep progressing.

The first two dungeons were easily my least favorite.

Yaweee said:
The first two dungeons were easily my least favorite.

i don't think aynthing is worse than that one unmappable dungeon with its conveyor belts. the story and characters are also very boring. the abundance of unintersting text is almost golden sun one level.

Chorazin

I sort of gave up on the original version, but I was burnt out on SRPGs at the time. I'll give this one a shot for sure, in fact I just pre-ordered it!

Fularu

Banned
Lain said:
I'm sorry! I loved Devil Survivor on the DS, but with the region lock on 3DS I won't be able to love this right away, so I can't help it but feel a bit disappointed that I'll have a game sitting there doing nothing for who knows how long (while there wouldn't be such a problem with Catherine >.>)! XD
This isn't a Catherine or a region lock thread

Yaweee

Augemitbutter said:
i don't think aynthing is worse than that one unmappable dungeon with its conveyor belts. the story and characters are also very boring. the abundance of unintersting text is almost golden sun one level.

What does it matter if it is unmappable? There's only, like, 3 or 4 parts on the floor that have conveyor belts with destinations that are not immediately 100% clear, and by that point you can have crippled the encounter rate so the floor doesn't take much time at all.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not even remotely surprising, but a happy announcement nonetheless. Rushed port or not, it'll make for a better early 3DS RPG than what Lunar or Tao did for the DS.

matmanx1

I'm not hating on Devil Survivor here as I got some enjoyment out of it. But let's not pretend that this remake won't have the same fairly boring maps and tons of recycled sprites. The story and characters were very cool and I appreciated the darker tone of the story but several aspects of the game felt "low budget" and I doubt that this remake is going to completely remedy that.

Just musing aloud but I wonder why they chose Devil Survivor over Strange Journey? Anyway, at $30 or less it might be worth a double dip.

Yaweee said:
What does it matter if it is unmappable? There's only, like, 3 or 4 parts on the floor that have conveyor belts with destinations that are not immediately 100% clear, and by that point you can have crippled the encounter rate so the floor doesn't take much time at all.

that was only a small example. most dungeons from there on were bland and boring and there was no new music at all, they kept reusing the same music from previous dungeons. also don't forget the fact that you'll be too weak to beat the boss if you skip too many battles, it is a necessity to fight as much as possible.

easily the worst SMT experience i've had in years.

I still haven't beat the original.

I will keep an eye on this to see if it's worth purchasing.
Who am I kidding? I'm going to buy it. Atlus always has my support

Yaweee

The font looks so, so much nicer than what Atlus used for their DS games.

What would make me really interested in the game would be the addition of any additional scenes to the first 7 days, or an increase to the game speed (Strange Journey's battles were way faster than the FP part of Devil Survivor, and EO3 had an increase in speed over its predecessors due to the NoWait option).

As it stands now with the revealed content, merely having Day 8, remastered graphics, and voice seems like a less meaningful upgrade than FES, Maniacs, P3P, or even P1P.

Mashing

Brobzoid said:

OMG, this statement has me so excited for EO4 on the 3DS (if/when it happens).

O damnit, I thought overclocked meant it was an HD collection of some sort. argh. Well whenever I get a 3DS someitme in the next 5 years, i guess i'll pick this up.

Big One

Banned
You know I hope the "Shin Megami Tensei" brand doesn't just only apply to this. I think they should port/remake all of the mainline SMT games using the Etrian Odyssey engine + SMTIII port + Strange Journey port/remake. SMT1, SMT2, and SMTif... really do need updates and this could be an easy way to get them to the US.

Boney

Banned
Big One said:
You know I hope the "Shin Megami Tensei" brand doesn't just only apply to this. I think they should port/remake all of the mainline SMT games using the Etrian Odyssey engine + SMTIII port + Strange Journey port/remake. SMT1, SMT2, and SMTif... really do need updates and this could be an easy way to get them to the US.
Devil Survivor, Persona and SMT were listed as 3 different entries. That said, it could mean shit.

cj_iwakura

Not buying a 3ds anytime soon, but still fascinating. Is this dub VA, I wonder?

Let's just hope this is the start. Save the big guns for last.

Top Bottom