• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 getting pc multiplayer demo soon (Update: March 1st)

Did a quick search, found nothing. Clock if bold. xD

http://twitter.com/#!/Crysis/status/30759160287076352

At this time, Crytek & EA are glad to confirm that we'll be releasing a pre-launch Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on PC! Stay tuned for details.

Dabanton

Mik2121 said:
No PS3 again? This looks quite suspicious :p

They probably have an exclusive agreement with MS for the demo the same way Sony had one with Ubisoft the the AC:Brotherhood beta.

Well i hope that's the reason...

Mr_Zombie

Dabanton said:
They probably have an exclusive agreement with MS for the demo the same way Sony had one with Ubisoft the the AC:Brotherhood beta.

I could understand the deal for a beta, but for a damn demo? Damn, what times do we live in, where even a demonstration version that should encourage one to buy your game, can be a platform exclusive. :/

DennisK4 said:
I want a SP demo instead.

Me too.

It's better than nothing though; demo (hopefully with all the graphic options) along with system requirements will make for a good benchmark before release.

I'm quite curious to see what this game can do on capable hardware.

Dabanton said:

Usually if MS has an agreement they make it so that a beta or demo can only appear on the 360. The War for Cybertron demo was 360 exclusive and there was never a PC or PS3 demo.

alf717

wwm0nkey said:
Ended up being the 360 Alpha test.

Yea that was a huge bust, wasted a 1 month card on it to. Not bad but not my cup of tea with a game controller. Any word on when to expect the demo? I'm kind of looking forward to it but I'm wondering if my current PC (can run Crysis + Warhead on medium/mainstream) will be good enough for the game.

Dabanton said:

Purely speculation, but my guess is that isn't the case. Almost all of the gameplay we've seen has either been 360 or PC (usually at console settings), but until very recently when it became impossible to hide, Crytek had been extremely vague about what version was being shown. I would think if they had a deal with MS, they would have been a lot more open about it being 360.

Add to the fact that over a year ago Crytek was very vocal about how incredible Crysis 2 was going to be on PS3 before becoming very quiet outside of admitting that the PS3 was proving difficult to develop for, my guess is they are struggling with the PS3 version.

Yeah, count me in as another person who would rather have a single player demo. I never touched the multiplayer in Crysis or Warhead and IF I buy Crysis 2, the multiplayer is totally superfluous. I want to see and experience how the open-ended design has been compromised.

Truespeed

The Nature Roy said:
Purely speculation, but my guess is that isn't the case. Almost all of the gameplay we've seen has either been 360 or PC (usually at console settings), but until very recently when it became impossible to hide, Crytek had been extremely vague about what version was being shown. I would think if they had a deal with MS, they would have been a lot more open about it being 360.

Add to the fact that over a year ago Crytek was very vocal about how incredible Crysis 2 was going to be on PS3 before becoming very quiet outside of admitting that the PS3 was proving difficult to develop for, my guess is they are struggling with the PS3 version.

If Crytek are indeed talented developers then what's there to worry about? They have an engine to sell so it would be marketing suicide to release a sub-par PS3 version after extolling the virtues of their cross platform engine. They've released the 360 demo, they'll be releasing the PC demo and they'll wrap it up with the PS3 demo. Just because they haven't shown it recently doesn't really mean anything. The last preview was in April, 2010 and CVG said it looked exactly like the 360 version. They've also publicly stated that they've had no issues developing for the PS3 and even mentioned they're getting slightly more performance out of it.

Truespeed said:
If Crytek are indeed talented developers then what's there to worry about? They have an engine to sell so it would be marketing suicide to release a sub-par PS3 version after extolling the virtues of their cross platform engine. They've released the 360 demo, they'll be releasing the PC demo and they'll wrap it up with the PS3 demo. Just because they haven't shown it recently doesn't really mean anything. The last preview was in April, 2010 and CVG said it looked exactly like the 360 version. They've also publicly stated that they've had no issues developing for the PS3 and even mentioned they're getting slightly more performance out of it.
You could be right. Like I said, it's purely speculation on my part.

In a recent interview, when asked which was the lead version, Crysis 2 Level Designer Daniel Phillips said, "At the start I believe it was the Xbox 360 that was used as the console benchmark. As of now though, we’ve switched to the PS3 as our “low end” benchmark. Not because it’s inferior to the 360, but because it’s just so much harder to develop on. It has very different specs compared to the 360."

So maybe they will get the exact same result in the end, but that doesn't sound like 'no issues developing for the PS3' to me.

UFRA

It's ok guys, maybe they just forgot to mention a PS3 demo as well, right?

.....right? ................RIGHT?!?!?

*cries in corner*

ArjanN

jaundicejuice said:
Yeah, count me in as another person who would rather have a single player demo. I never touched the multiplayer in Crysis or Warhead and IF I buy Crysis 2, the multiplayer is totally superfluous. I want to see and experience how the open-ended design has been compromised.

I expect the Crysis 2 multiplayer to be a lot better than the MP in their previous titles.

Truespeed

The Nature Roy said:
You could be right. Like I said, it's purely speculation on my part.

In a recent interview, when asked which was the lead version, Crysis 2 Level Designer Daniel Phillips said, "At the start I believe it was the Xbox 360 that was used as the console benchmark. As of now though, we’ve switched to the PS3 as our “low end” benchmark. Not because it’s inferior to the 360, but because it’s just so much harder to develop on. It has very different specs compared to the 360."

So maybe they will get the exact same result in the end, but that doesn't sound like 'no issues developing for the PS3' to me.

Hmm, the Crytek director of global business development says one thing and a level designer says another. They should get on the same page.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Instead of appreciating the fact that we finally get a demo, people bitch about some SP bench. Glass is half empty etc etc

I have no interest at all in the multi-player. Give me a single player demo so I can see how small the levels are compared to Crysis so I know not to buy.

Xdrive05

Stitch said:
release this thing now. i want to benchmark my gtx 560 ti.

Which one did you get? I'm thinking about buying the MSI.

Looking forward to this demo stressing my machine:

Phenom II x4 @ 3.6Ghz
8GB Ram
BFG GTX 260 maxcore55 @ 680/1160 896mb
Windows 7 ultimate x64

Might need that 560 after all...

subversus

I <3 Memes said:
I have no interest at all in the multi-player. Give me a single player demo so I can see how small the levels are compared to Crysis so I know not to buy.

Lol, confirms my post above.

markot

Banned
Well, I just mean no one really got crysis for the MP. People want to see if the SP sticks up post consolification on the PC.

Erasus

Why does everyone need an SP demo to max out the graphics?

Open empty server -> Max out graphics without players hogging CPU.

subversus

Erasus said:

they want an SP demo to be sure that they won't enjoy the game no matter what.

Grayman

I never did try the multiplayer for crysis and warhead. Seems to me like it would be Iron sights + dead player ad infinitum.
subversus said:
they want an SP demo to be sure that they won't enjoy the game no matter what.
they already know its bad.

PS3 owners also know it runs poorly.

UFRA said:
It's ok guys, maybe they just forgot to mention a PS3 demo as well, right?

.....right? ................RIGHT?!?!?

*cries in corner*
Don't worry JM. When the game releases we'll have our 540p game that runs at 23 fps with tons of screen tearing and did I mention tons of lag?

Hope that's not the case,but Crytek is giving us nothing. It's best to assume that.

Better than nothing, perhaps an admittance that the SP got console'd and they're trying to hide it.
markot said:
Well, I just mean no one really got crysis for the MP. People want to see if the SP sticks up post consolification on the PC.
I played the train station demo on PC in October, seemed to be the case. They probably could do a SP demo quite easily, but I don't think they want the game to be remembered by a short scripted 'vertical' slice. And at the same time, if there are huge open world chunks of the game. Like say, a ruined central park and surrounding areas they probably don't want to give it away in a demo.

Erasus said:

You can't really compare a small empty MP map with SP where lots of shit is going on and the maps are much larger.

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Don't worry JM. When the game releases we'll have our 540p game that runs at 23 fps with tons of screen tearing and did I mention tons of lag?

Hope that's not the case,but Crytek is giving us nothing. It's best to assume that.

And probably an online system hosted by GameSpy.

Top Bottom