• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Q3 FY2010 report - Vanquish, Sonic Colors shipments

Pooya

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/1103_3q_hosokufinal_e.pdf
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/2011033q_tanshin_e.pdf

capturehut5.jpg

capture2dn0i.jpg

capture3yux5.jpg

capture4btk8.jpg

andriasang
The company's consumer division, which includes both video games and toys, saw an 18.9% drop in sales to 67,413 million yen. Video game software alone saw a 25.4% drop in sales to 36,800 billion yen. Operating income for the division increased 98.4% to 2,811 million yen.

In its earnings report, the company noted that it released such games as Sonic Colors, Vanquish, Football Manager 2011 and Shining Hearts in the third quarter. Overseas sales for new titles were slow due to adverse market conditions, the company said. In Japan, however, sales were solid.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, nearly 2 million for Sonic Colours? Nice! I hope it can sustain some of this and has some legs :).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-Eddman- said:
Is that good or bad for Vanquish? GAF made it seem like the game bombed hard.
It depends on:

1.) How much of that actually sold through.

2.) The average selling price of the copies that did sell through.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What is Catalog? Does that just represent games published in previous years that are still on the market?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Drkirby said:
What is Catalog? Does that just represent games published in previous years that are still on the market?
Yeah.

When people refer to their catalog, it's anything that wasn't released either this fiscal year or this fiscal quarter, depending on if the report is about a quarter or the year as a whole.

As far as presentation goes, Sonic Colours is absolutely brilliant.

The game itself is merely solid with some moments of greatness, but the overall package is the most impressive thing Sonic has seen since 3&Knuckles.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The fact that their back catalog only makes up 33% of their sales is a major problem in the video game industry as a whole. Really wish games were kept on the market for longer periods of times, but current console publishers don't allow this due to a minimum order size of 1000+ units plus fairly high licensing fees. Allow publishers to reprint batches of 100 for $5 to $8 a copy and I am bet you could get web and specialty stores to keep stocking games that have demand.

thuway

Interesting, most companies had the PS3 as their top selling console. Looks like both the Wii and 360 outdid this one.

Drkirby said:
The fact that their back catalog only makes up 33% of their sales is a major problem in the video game industry as a whole. Really wish games were kept on the market for longer periods of times, but current console publishers don't allow this due to a minimum order size of 1000+ units plus fairly high licensing fees. Allow publishers to reprint batches of 100 for $5 to $8 a copy and I am bet you could get web and specialty stores to keep stocking games that have demand.

Seems more and more unlikely there will be any major efforts to do that with Digital distribution being a much easier and profitable method of selling your back catalogue.

Suzuki Yu

net income for the whole group for 9 Months Ended December 31, 2010
the Group recorded a net income of ¥36,821 million(about $451 million), an increase of 117.3% for the same period in the previous fiscal year.

and by segments
*Operating income numbers

Pachinco/Pachislots
operating income was ¥54,666 million(about $670 million) (an increase of 102.8% for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

Amusement Machine Sales
operating income was ¥8,458 million(about $103 million) (an increase of 79.7% for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

Amusement Center Operations
operating income was ¥817 million(about $10 million) (compared with an operating loss of ¥644 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

Consumer Business "game software segment"
operating income was ¥2,811 million(about $34 million) (an increase of 98.4% for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

AniHawk

Suzuki Yu said:
net income for the whole group for 9 Months Ended December 31, 2010

and by segments
*Operating income numbers

Pachinco/Pachislots

Amusement Machine Sales

Amusement Center Operations

Consumer Business "game software segment"

Awesome! So when's the new system?

klee123

thuway said:
Interesting, most companies had the PS3 as their top selling console. Looks like both the Wii and 360 outdid this one.

They've got more 360 and Wii titles planned than for PS3 in 2011 though. I suspect for 360, a lot of them are kinect titles.

thuway

I just wish Sega would get some real money together and beef up Sonic Team again. This company makes so many stupid decisions, its mind rattling. The only thing that I don't understand is how PS3 sales are so low with both Vanquish and Yakuza being exclusive launching this year. Oh well, more power to 360 + Wii.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Sega, you've made me wait way too long for the inevitable Sonic Colors 3DS announcement. Just do it already!

Gravijah

thuway said:
the only thing that I don't understand is how PS3 sales are so low with both Vanquish and Yakuza being exclusive launching this year.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Vanquish isn't exclusive...?

AniHawk

thuway said:
I just wish Sega would get some real money together and beef up Sonic Team again. This company makes so many stupid decisions, its mind rattling. The only thing that I don't understand is how PS3 sales are so low with both Vanquish and Yakuza being exclusive launching this year. Oh well, more power to 360 + Wii.

Yakuza was never a big franchise in the States. That said, I think Yakuza 3 hit last FY.

Drkirby said:
The fact that their back catalog only makes up 33% of their sales is a major problem in the video game industry as a whole. Really wish games were kept on the market for longer periods of times, but current console publishers don't allow this due to a minimum order size of 1000+ units plus fairly high licensing fees.

Used copies have a nice deal to do with it too.

thuway said:

How did you come to that conclusion?!

Anyway Sonic Colors was fantastic and I guess the sales are a testament to the great experience that we had with the game. It is so fun. Though I guess this also means I need to continue on my quest to get Vanquish.

mclem

Is there any word on the breakdown between DS and Wii? Unless I'm missing something, the numbers above are only ever counted jointly.

mclem

Cerebral Assassin said:
Football Manager seems a bit low, surely they sell more than a million copies?

I've never quite understood why it's not available on the DS. Menus + Touchscreen!

Curufinwe

-Eddman- said:
Is that good or bad for Vanquish? GAF made it seem like the game bombed hard.

820,000 is more than I thought, and more than Enslaved sold, at least.

Did they ever release overall sales numbers for Bayonetta?

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I agree a high quality Shenmue port is a must.

people will go bananas. I will do duck racing whole day on the topic though Sonic colours was very awesome. I hope it sold very good too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nirolak said:
It depends on:

1.) How much of that actually sold through.

2.) The average selling price of the copies that did sell through.
At least in Japan it collapsed in price very early.

_Alkaline_ said:
Aren't those numbers quite good?
Yeah, I'm just so used to hearing about SEGA screwing themselves that its good to see them make some cash, even if its from something I didn't really think was all that good on a fundamental level. Hopefully things can stay on a upbeat for them, lord knows they need it.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm playing through Vanquish right now, and it's deserving of good sales. Really strong presentation married to entertaining gameplay mechanics that make you feel pretty powerful. Like most JPN games, the characters are really strong, but you also get some great shooting to go with it. Also it's technically amazing at times with expansive vistas and seemingly limitless geometry in the scenes.

At its current price of $39.99, it's well worth getting.

Also, Wii 3rd party games don't sell!

Top Bottom