• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geohot is asking for donations to help defend himself against Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
New news, new thread: Geohot's website is now the following.

On the subject of a Legal Defense Fund
Read groklaw, psx-scene, the case docket, and my new blog for updates on the case

Media, I need your help. This is the first time I have ever asked. Please, if you support this cause, help me out and spread the word.
I want, by the time this goes to trial, to have Sony facing some of the hardest hitting lawyers in the business.
Together, we can help fix the system

Donations here are for legal defense ONLY
I checked with my lawyers before setting this up
If you have another substantial way to donate aside from money, let me know

tl;dr
Sony is lame, and is suing me for hacking MY OWN PS3. Help me own them in court

Sony are bullies
Sony doesn't care if what you did was legal, if they don't like it, they sue. Sony tried to sue a guy for getting his AIBO to do non Sony approved tricks, making it apparent that they don't really care about piracy, they care about control. In (Sony v Bleem), Bleem was the winner on all counts, but the high cost of a legal defense shut them down. Fortunately, that suit helped set precedent on the legality of emulators. I would hate to lose this case due to resource starvation, and with the support of the masses, I won't. Lets turn the bully back on itself. This case has the ability to set a huge precedent for consoles and all closed systems to come. The other two should be begging Sony to back off.

Sony sued the wrong guy
I am an advocate against mass piracy, do not distribute anyone's copyrighted work but my own, do not take crap lying down, and am even pro DRM in a sense. For example, I believe Apple has every right to lock down their iPhone in the factory as much as they want, but once it's paid for and mine, I have the right to unlock it, smash it, jailbreak it, look at it, and hack on it. Fortunately, the courts agree with me on this point.
My PS3 goal has been to provide users a legitimate path to homebrew, which by the standards of all previous cases (or, in reverse), is 100% legal. Sony does not even try to allege piracy or copyright infringement in this case, they allege I did things like play "super mario world, an unauthorized game" on MY PS3. And access MY PS3 in an unauthorized way. Who are they to authorize what I do with my taxed and paid for property?
fail0verflow's goal was even nobler than mine. They wanted to give you back a feature Sony illegally stole, Linux on your PS3. It's shameful on Sony's part that they are being sued at all. If you have a problem with pirates, sue them, don't sue people who point out your shortcomings.

Why should I care about your personal legal troubles?
You shouldn't. For example, if I was taken to court for sex crimes in Sweden, I would never ask for donations. But this case isn't about me. Clearly I am not being sued because of something I have that Sony wants, I am being sued in order to send a message that Sony is not to be messed with. But if I(and all codefendants likewise) actually win this, we have the power to send a much stronger message back. That consumers have rights, and we aren't afraid to stand up for them.

Why should I trust you? I just saw you trying to rap battle Sony
My attempts at humor aside, I do take this whole matter very seriously. Again, it's not about me, I was on the verge of quitting this stuff last June, and I would hate to be the one who sets a reputation for hackers that all a company has to do is sue us and we back down. In fact, I want the opposite reputation set, that the more a company tries to abuse the legal system, the harder we rally back. I will be the first person in line on the launch date of the Xperia Play, and itching to get my hands on the Next GEOHOT Project.

Why did you wait until now to set this up?
I didn't want to be trigger happy, and thought the suit might go away quickly. Also, I had to consult with my lawyers about how to do this. It's been over a month, and it looks like this is going to be a drawn out case. I am in this for the long haul. I am very serious ethically when I take donations, for all iPhone work I only accepted after the fact, here after the fact is too late. Now I am pot committed so to say.

How much should I donate?
Put it this way, Sony has 5 lawyers, I have 2. I'd like to level the playing field, and really get some hard hitters in there. I have already racked up over 10k in legal bills; donate whatever you feel like. Leftover donations at the end of all this will be donated to the EFF.

What if I want to donate more than I feel comfortable sending through PayPal?
I'm excited! Email me, we'll figure it out.

Why doesn't the EFF fund this?
Ask them. They have offered to provide some legal help though, which is much appreciated.

Donate to help you, you're the reason I can't play Modern Warfare now…
No, I'm not. Kakaroto explains this really well here. I have never played PS3 online ever. Frankly I'm amazed by the apparent ease with which these cheats were created, security 101, why is the security in the client anyway? I had no idea this would happen, and am in full support of the cheaters being permabanned from PSN.

I'm a poor college student, what can I do to help?
I feel you, don't worry. Spread the word. Let people know how you feel about what Sony is doing. Let Sony know how you feel about what Sony is doing.

What if SCEA tries to settle?
Lets just say, I want the settlement terms to include OtherOS on all PS3s and an apology on the PlayStation blog for ever removing it. It'd be good PR for Sony too, lord knows they could use it. I'm also willing to accept a trade, a legit path to homebrew for knowledge of how to stop new firmwares from being decrypted.

Why isn't SCEA trying to settle?
RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE...THEY POINTED OUT OUR SECURITY FLAWS...IM SO MADDDDDDDD...WAHHHHHH

As crass as that stupid stupid rap song he released was, he raises some agreeable points.

We've had many threads discussing the consequences of a Sony victory, how it would be a distastrous precedent for consumer rights and cement that we effectively rent our consoles and do not own them. Combined with Sony's abhorent attempt to go after YouTube and Twitter users who watched videos and tweets they disapproved of, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and donating. Its not much, but hopefully every little helps.

For those that want him to lose this case (and there are a fair number on GAF and in other places, who have suggested much harsher "punishments"): He's anti-piracy, anti-cheater and agrees that anyone caught cheating on PSN should be banned, which is fair. He also has directly nothing to do with the creation of mechanisms that allow people to cheat on PSN.

He's also trying to set a legal precedent that we can do what we want with our consoles, and I think that's pretty bloody important.

He racked up 10k in bills already. Wow. Is asking for donations like this ok? What if Sony's competitor gives some donation?

I like his anti-piracy stance but I really just don't know about him. I sort of feel like he was asking for this.

Sony is doing some things right but is doing just as many wrong things with this whole situation. I don't even know who to agree with these days.

His rap was ridiculously dumb though. Almost don't want to agree with him because of that.

Massa

Sony is lame, and is suing me for hacking MY OWN PS3. Help me own them in court.

I figured a smart guy like Geohot would understand the difference between hacking his own PS3 and sharing Sony's master keys online.

Cmagus

he may think what he is doing is good and he can go on about anti-piracy but 98% of the people downloading this stuff is doing to pirate games which is hurting the industry.

Five? You only need one.

1230519.jpg

Mako_Drug

Mama Robotnik said:
We've had many threads discussing the consequences of a Sony victory, how it would be a distastrous precedent for consumer rights and cement that we effectively rent our consoles and do not own them.

Well you can do whatever you want...just don't post a way to crack companies security, right?

Mama Robotnik said:
He's also trying to set a legal precedent that we can do what we want with our consoles, and I think that's pretty bloody important.

Leaving aside the question of whether you should be able to modify you console hardware or software - Why not just do it on PC? Why not just emulate on pc? Why not run linux on PC? Seriously, PC is a pretty cool guy.

Just because its the human instinct to stick your dick in every hole even when there is no reward doesn't mean you have to follow it.

canova said:
He asked for it. no sympathy whatsoever
Although I dont as strongly as this, I do sort of sympathize with him. 10k in debt with Sony's legal team staring at your face is tough place to be in for a 20 year old. But anyway, I'd rather donate to American cancer society and other more pressing charities than this dude. Best of luck though.

I'm all about hacking the shit out of the ps3 and every console out there but I have zero sympathy for this kid. If he didn't do everything so publicly he could avoid all this trouble and perhaps still be able to contribute to the scene.

iceatcs

Eh, I thought Sony sue him for uploaded the security key online publicly.

Anyway, I'm too scary to donate but all I can good luck him.

i'm not 100% up to date on the situation but I find it funny that he is claiming that sony is "lame" for hacking his own ps3 when he made the master keys available online. If it was just for his own personal use then that'd be one thing but he made the thing available to anyone and everyone who wants it.

RustyNails said:
I'd rather donate to American cancer society and other more pressing charities than this dude. Best of luck though.

I don't meant to be a self-righteous prig, but I already donate to a number of causes and work regularly with a big charity in the UK. I'm not choosing one cause over another more pressing cause.

Even then, I still think this case is going to set an incredibly important precedent.

KingOfKong said:
...so how do we donate to help Sony out?

Submit your personal details to Sony's legal team for daring to post in a thread that mentioned homebrew. Also include all the times you clicked on a NeoGAF thread in which someone posted the security keys in animated GIF form. They'll claim their "donation" from you in court soon enough.

Canova

Banned
RustyNails said:
Although I dont as strongly as this, I do sort of sympathize with him. 10k in debt with Sony's legal team staring at your face is tough place to be in for a 20 year old. But anyway, I'd rather donate to American cancer society and other more pressing charities than this dude. Best of luck though.

He knew what's coming at him. He's been through this with Apple. He's just too stupid to do it again.

KingOfKong said:
...so how do we donate to help Sony out?

I just pre-ordered InFamous 2 Hero Edition.

that was earlier this afternoon

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I can't believe how many ignorant people in here are cheering Sony on or saying geohot got what was coming to him...seriously people? Try to use your brains a bit.

RustyNails said:
He racked up 10k in bills already. Wow. Is asking for donations like this ok? What if Sony's competitor gives some donation?

Ummm, you realize when it comes to this case, MS and Nintendo are undoubtedly in Sony's corner, right?

VGChampion said:
I like his anti-piracy stance

Thanks, he just recently developed that stance.

There is nothing for Sony to stop. The info is already out and they've done everything possible to effectively eliminate it. Anyways, what geohot released did not enable piracy, but he is the scapegoat because he is in America and they can fuck him up the ass in court.

Effect

He should have thought of this before he decided to hack and release what he and others did to the rest of the world. Hope he and the others like him are crushed. No sympathy at all.

Kyoufu

Mama Robotnik said:
I don't meant to be a self-righteous prig, but I already donate to a number of causes and work regularly with a big charity in the UK. I'm not choosing one cause over another more pressing cause.

Even then, I still think this case is going to set an incredibly important precedent.

You must really want piracy to smother PS3 in the face. You should donate to the guy and keep us posted on how the case goes.

- J - D -

I sympathize, but dude should've known better for playing with fire.

This thread will become very interesting, I predict.

Neki

Thaedolus said:
I can't believe how many ignorant people in here are cheering Sony on or saying geohot got what was coming to him...seriously people? Try to use your brains a bit.
Yeah, you're right man. I won't be happy until he has 20k in bills! Hurraaaaaaah!

Kyoufu said:
You must really want piracy to smother PS3 in the face. You should donate to the guy and keep us posted on how the case goes.

(1) Please don't tell me what my motives are. Piracy is shit. Renting all consoles with no consumer rights is even shitter. I'm focussing on the latter as whereas we can increase our anti-piracy measures, its very difficult to recover rights once they have been lost.

(2) Have donated a fiver.

Ceebs

Do not even own a console and I am donating. Corporations trying to squash consumer rights is one issue that will get my attention every time.

WinFonda

Massa said:
I figured a smart guy like Geohot would understand the difference between hacking his own PS3 and sharing Sony's master keys online.
Duuuudddeee.... I only shared the keys to your house with like.... 3 billion people, that's all.

jay

Thaedolus said:

This whole thing reminds me a bit of illegal search and seizures in the states. In that case you have this vague evil, terrorism and its goal of defeating freedom, and that's motivation enough for people to say things like, "if I'm not guilty of anything I shouldn't mind being violated." In this case, there are masses of people afraid of the specter of piracy and cheating to the point where they do not believe they have the right to do what they want with their own belongings. People say stuff like, "only a pirate would want to hack their system." It's the same line of "if you want your rights then you must be evil" logic.

WinFonda said:
Duuuudddeee.... I only shared the keys to your house with like.... 3 billion people, that's all.

Only it isn't Sony's house. I own my PS3, not Sony.

I'd donate but I just don't feel the cause that much. I assume people with more of an understanding of the situation will help him.

I find it funny people are so against him yet we have homebrew threads all over this site. Oh wate, but datz different.

RyanDG

Thaedolus said:

I think this whole situation is a lot more nuanced than what either side is really giving credit to the other side for, but the solution to that isn't to call people ignorant. Either way you look at it, this is not a black and white case in any stretch of the imagination, and though it does have ramifications for personal property ownership, the hinge of Sony's case isn't dependent on that fact. The problem that I see is that for the pro-Geohot crowd, the immediate knee jerk reaction is to make this case solely about personal ownership rights, which is intellectually dishonest if you consider the court filings and the case that Sony is building against Geohot. For the pro-Sony crowd, the immediate knee jerk reaction is to make this solely about piracy and cheating, which also fails in the consideration of what Geohot actually has opened up with his work and narrowly focuses on one aspect of it.

People can use their 'brains' however and come up with their own feelings on the case without being ignorant, even if that does mean that some may end up siding with Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom