• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware aficionados: iPad 2 GPU vs 360/PS3 GPU's?

AppleBlade

This post is for the hardware experts. Anandtech recently released a report detailing how the iPad 2's GPU (sgx543mp2) has put up some impressive performance numbers. Can anyone tell me how those numbers compare to the GPU's in the current HD twins? Thanks in advance.

Not a profesional but:

"The RSX (PS3's GPU) to the Xenos (X360's GPU). The RSX has 24 pixel shader pipelines and 8 vertex shader pipelines. It’s capable of 136 shader operations per clock and performs 74.8 billion shader operations per second. It's clocked at 550 MHZ. The Xenos is clocked at 500 MHZ but has 48 unified shader units or pipelines. It performs 192 shader operations per clock and 96 billion shader operations per second. Think of the shader pipelines as water faucets, the bigger the faucet the more water that can go through...Same idea applies here. And this is just comparing the bare naked GPUs. I'm not even factoring in the eDRAM and Random Access Memory for the GPU and CPU and even the CPU"

Versus

"iPad 2 - 29 million Textured triangles per second and 20 million Fragment lit triangles per second"

PS: Don´t really know if this help in anything at all.

Luigiv

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Not a profesional but:

"The RSX (PS3's GPU) to the Xenos (X360's GPU). The RSX has 24 pixel shader pipelines and 8 vertex shader pipelines. It’s capable of 136 shader operations per clock and performs 74.8 billion shader operations per second. It's clocked at 550 MHZ. The Xenos is clocked at 500 MHZ but has 48 unified shader units or pipelines. It performs 192 shader operations per clock and 96 billion shader operations per second. Think of the shader pipelines as water faucets, the bigger the faucet the more water that can go through...Same idea applies here. And this is just comparing the bare naked GPUs. I'm not even factoring in the eDRAM and Random Access Memory for the GPU and CPU and even the CPU"

Versus

"iPad 2 - 29 million Textured triangles per second and 20 million Fragment lit triangles per second"

PS: Don´t really know if this help in anything at all.
It doesn't really, since you're comparing Shader cores to triangle output. For What it's worth, 20 million fragment lit triangles a second is maybe a little above Gamecube level performance. Adding advance shaders like normal maps would drop that number even lower.

The X360 and PS3 are capable of over 80 million triangles a second with all the bell and whistles enabled.

Like I said, it's not even close.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
In a scene with the right mix of high requirements for anti-aliasing, MRTs, stencils, texture quality, and Z accuracy, the comparison could actually get interesting.

But it's good to see how technology advances, impressive performance for a passive cooled chip with very low power consumption.

DonMigs85

I heard that the RSX was actually slightly downgraded to just 500MHz.
Also the PowerVR chips are still tile-based right?

Avtomat

MrVargas said:
This post is for the hardware experts. Anandtech recently released a report detailing how the iPad 2's GPU (sgx543mp2) has put up some impressive performance numbers. Can anyone tell me how those numbers compare to the GPU's in the current HD twins? Thanks in advance.

IMO current gen console GPUs ought to still give it a sound thrashing.

having said that it does not have to display visuals on a 50 inch HDTV. SO you can usually dumb down in some areas where the console GPU can't. Which numbers in aprticular are you lookign to compare?

OK decided to look at the anand article and compared 2 random results.

Measured on the iPad: 30 million triangles/s and 890 million texels/s

Theoretical on RSX: 275 million triangles/s and 13 billion texels/s

These number are pretty meaningless IMO, no one is daft enough to approach a tablet the same way you approach a home console.

szaromir

Banned
colinisation said:
IMO current gen console GPUs ought to still give it a sound thrashing.

having said that it does not have to display visuals on a 50 inch HDTV. SO you can usually dumb down in some areas where the console GPU can't. Which numbers in aprticular are you lookign to compare?

OK decided to look at the anand article and compared 2 random results.

Measured on the iPad: 30 million triangles/s and 890 million texels/s

Theoretical on RSX: 275 million triangles/s and 13 billion texels/s

These number are pretty meaningless IMO, no one is daft enough to approach a tablet the same way you approach a home console.
Give tablets 3 years and it'll be a completely different story :D

Wazzim

Banned
onQ123 said:
aficionados?

First of all, you throwin' too many big words at me, and because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take 'em as disrespect. Watch your mouth!

on topic the GPU in the NGP if clocked at 400Mhz can push 266 Million polygons per second just under the PS3 275 Million polygons per second

& fill rates of 8Gpixels per second vs PS3's GPU 4.4Gpixels per second?
PS3 only has a fill rate of 4.4Gp? NGP is gonna be a graphical beast though, can't wait to see the first direct feed game footage from that device.

DonMigs85

Wazzim said:
PS3 only has a fill rate of 4.4Gp? NGP is gonna be a graphical beast though, can't wait to see the first direct feed game footage from that device.
Yeah, 8 ROPs times the clockspeed. If RSX is really just 500 MHz then it's the same fillrate as Xenos without the benefits of eDRAM.

Lazy8s

Yeah, RSX wound up at 500 MHz, which means a 250M tri/sec set-up rate.

NGP won't be 400 MHz when it launches. More like 200 MHz, which yields a 1.6G tex/sec fill rate per layer of scene complexity on average.

onQ123

Lazy8s said:

NGP won't be 400 MHz when it launches. More like 200 MHz, which yields a 1.6G tex/sec fill rate per layer of scene complexity on average.

yeah I know do to battery life & heat. but if it was to run at 400Mhz it would put out better looking games than PS3 & Xbox 360 when looked at on that 5" OLED screen.

Zen

Banned
Lazy8s said:

I'll bet my bottom dollar that we'll eventually see a clock speed increase on the NGP CPU and GPU at some point, similar to the PSP.

Wazzim said:
Yeah but PS3 is not just RSX. Afaik the CELL also does some pretty impressive stuff and makes up for the weaker GPU chip.

Lazy8s

The performance of PowerVR Series6 for mobiles goes well above RSX, and that'll be out in the latter part of next year and in Apple products by iPad 4.

Top Bottom