• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help a fellow GAFer win a new goalie mask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

expy

Banned

m3UU9.png

INTRODUCTION

Hi GAF! I've been playing hockey for around 10 years now, and I've always been playing the goaltender position, or goalie as most would call it. It's always been a passion of mine, I've never really felt so attached to any other sport, and even any other position in a sport than I did to hockey goaltending. One of the best parts about being a goalie is the adrenaline you get from having to perform a save on a piece of vulcanized rubber going upwards of 90mph, there's just no other feeling like it for me in any other sport.

But what I also love about the position is the style, the goaltender's equipment has become somewhat of a fashion statement in the sport. Goalies are now sporting modern designs on their gear, have artistic interpretations painted onto their helmets, the position of goaltender has grown in both play-style and gear-fashion.

tl;dr This is a Facebook contest in which the entry with the most votes wins a goalie mask with a custom paint job. Vote here: http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/93637/voteable_entries/17078388 . You can vote once per day every day until March 31st! THANKS!

WIN A NEW GOALIE MASK YOU SAY?

Yep, it's as it says in the header image, basically here's the rundown. There's a company called Head Strong Grafx holding a competition on Facebook for goalies to design their dream masks. Now the grand prize (the one with the most votes) will win his/her design as well as get it painted onto a brand new goalie mask!

I've been using my current goalie mask since I started playing the position back in 2000, and it's really starting to show signs of aging, although still doing it's job rather well. But I think it's time I upgraded, and this contest is a good opportunity for me to possibly obtain a new helmet, as well as get a brand new paint job applied onto it.

So that's where GAF comes in, since this is a Facebook contest, it really all comes down to "who has the most Facebook friends" to decide the winner, so I found myself looking for alternatives. When the voting system goes up, I'm hoping that the GAF community can help me out so that I can replace my 11 year old helmet and retire it for good, it's served me well but I do think it's time to replace it. I'll explain in a little more detail in the next section on how to actually participate in the vote and to reach my entry.

WHAT IS YOUR ENTRY?!

I've got a few older pictures of my mask, first when it was bare (white), then when I had applied some designs on it using electrical tape (second and third picture) and then in the last picture, is my entry for this Facebook competition.

About the entry itself

My entry is based off the colors of the Montreal Canadiens, my personal favorite NHL hockey team, and off the Japanese anime series Fate Stay/Night. I went with light/dark blue tons for the background as to not be too aggressive and blended in a background I found of Fate Stay/Night with hundreds of blades/swords burries into the desolate ground. I placed the Montreal Canadiens' emblem up on the forehead of the mask as it is the most prominent feature and on both sides of the mask, Rin Rohsaka in her red uniform, and on the opposite side Saber, in her blue and armor attire. The mixture of Red/Blue and light highlights the Montreal Canadiens' red/white/blue colors. I topped it off with a few Fate/Stay Night vector emblems faded behind the Montreal Canadiens' logo and behind the #31 which is my player number. On the backplate, I use the backdrop of the blades in the ground, and attached a Canadian flag to the edge on the sowrd, waving in the deserted air.

jV9NW.jpg

Click to enlarge

HOW CAN WE HELP OUT?

In order to vote in the first place, since this is a Facebook contest, you'll obviously need a Facebook account, so only those who have Facebook accounts can vote. But here's the rundown of the steps to take to be able to vote for my entry (it does require to add an app to the page but can be removed after the competition is over).
  • Unfortunately, since this is a Facebook contest, I'm afraid it's only available to those who already have Facebook accounts, and I won't really ask anyone to create an account just for this. lol
  • Visit the page for my entry at http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/93637/voteable_entries/17078388
  • You'll most likely need to accept to have the app added to your Facebook account for the duration of the contest, afterwards can be removed.
  • Voting period is from March 15th to March 31st (17 days).
  • Once you've got the app up on your Facebook account, you can then click on the [VOTE NOW] button on my entry page, a confirmation should pop-up once it's done. (Thanks!)
  • You can vote once per day on an entry, meaning over the course of the contest, you can vote multiple times for the same entry up to 17 times in total!
  • Important! As far as I know (can't confirm) you must keep the contest app on your Facebook account until the end of the contest period (April 2nd), otherwise the contest will not count your vote.

LET'S NOT FORGET...
TxsDA.png

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for your help! Even if I don't win, I really appreciate all your assistance! Thanks GAF! :D

Special thanks to bishoptl for letting me make this thread, and to all of the GAF community for reading, and voting!

DISCLAIMER

I've obtained permission from bishoptl to post this thread.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dude, if you play for the Montreal Canadiens I'm pretty sure you can afford your own mask.

j/k, voted for you

Voted!

I have to say, it kind of cracks me up thinking of anime themed helmets out on the ice, but this is a well thought out reason. The canadian flag on the back is freaking awesome.
Good luck to you!

I hope I don't forget to remove that app...

expy

Banned
Typographenia said:
Voted!

I have to say, it kind of cracks me up thinking of anime themed helmets out on the ice, but this is a well thought out reason. The canadian flag on the back is freaking awesome.
Good luck to you!

lol, Thanks everyone!

(I'll remind everyone once the contest to remove the app) =p

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Hmm...Voted for you.

Only because my love for Patrick Roy is eclipsed by my hate for the ending of that series.

Chuckie

Typographenia said:

Yeah remind me of that once this contest is over ok ;)

Btw... I just noticed the NERV logo on that red/white/blue helmet.

expy

Banned
Tence said:
Yeah remind me of that once this contest is over ok ;)

Btw... I just noticed the NERV logo on that red/white/blue helmet.
Yea, I thought it was pretty easy to do with some electrical tape so I opted to slap that on there... lol I was getting tired of it just being plain.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Solo said:
Anime on your mask? I don't know if we can both root for the Habs anymore...

I do have a question for Habs fan.

Still mad at Roy? Or have you forgive him?

ChiTownBuffalo

expy said:
Great goalie, horrible person.

Well, yes. And his kids are following in his footsteps.

Damnit, I miss Joe Sakic.

Solo

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I do have a question for Habs fan.

Still mad at Roy? Or have you forgive him?

Personally, I was never mad at him. He singlehandedly won us a Cup (1993) and he was a huge part of the 1986 one too. For those feats and many years of great play for us, he earned the right to leave. Coach was dumb for letting him get shelled like that anyways.

FOOTE

Aren't you the one who was cheering for every team that beat Halak this season? I'll have to think about voting.

I will

expy

Banned
FOOTE said:
Aren't you the one who was cheering for every team that beat Halak this season? I'll have to think about voting.

I will

No, but I wasn't sad that he got traded ;)

expy

Banned
Thanks everyone. Also, I'm not exactly sure when the "day" restarts to allow you to vote again... This morning it started at 8am EDT.

expy

Banned
Typographenia said:
I had no idea this was a day to day thing. Voted again, though!
Yea, don't think many people read the entire OP... Guess I should edit the tl;dr.. lol

I'm not sure how I feel about your helmet design but I think it would be hilarious to see a goalie with an anime helmet, so I will vote for you.

You could've had a mask with a turd on it and I would've voted
probably not
. Nice helmet. Gotta support fellow gaffers, you have my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom