• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

PJX

Emperor Bohe said:
yeah, that's definitely something I've been wishing for. All SF3 stages in 3S online edition

That's something I would love as well but I don't think Capcom would be willing to waste the time and effort to do it.

Azure J

You know, the more I look at this one:

LuFTz.gif

the more I wish I could make it my PC background, complete with rainy animation.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
AzureJericho said:

LuFTz.gif

the more I wish I could make it my PC background, complete with rainy animation.

Animated gif's work as desktop wallpapers, actually.

edit: mm, its not working? Weird, Ive gotten them to work before ...

jett

D-Member
Man SNK's background artists are just the best. Where are you getting those animated MOTW background gifs from? I'd like to see Terry's stage.

Nishastra

Banned
AzureJericho said:

[Rain]

That's funny. I thought about doing exactly that earlier today, but then I discovered that Windows can't do it without extra software any more. Used to be able to do that kind of thing with ActiveDesktop, but they killed it off with Vista.

PBMax

To really appreciate the sheer skill of SNK's artists it's worth noting the Neo-Geo's tech specs:

Main processor: Motorola 68000, 12 MHz
Co-processor: Zilog Z80, 4 MHz
Main memory (used directly by 68000): 64 KB
Main video memory : 74 KB
Video memory: 64 KB
Palette memory : 8 KB
Fast video RAM : 2 KB
Sound memory (used directly by Z80): 2 KB
Display resolution: 320x224 (many games only used the centermost 304 pixels)
Color palette: 65,536 (16-bit)
Maximum colors on screen: 4,096 (12-bit)

Syril

jett said:
Man SNK's background artists are just the best. Where are you getting those animated MOTW background gifs from? I'd like to see Terry's stage.

All three of them, you mean?

Platy

2 things that i NEVER noticed that i think that should be pretty visible : The gravity problem on darkstalkers and the ..... well ... the ... neo geo logo above

PBMax said:

And talking about snk .... while i hate most of SNK's art direction, i LOVE everything related to Last Blade 1 and 2

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
someguyinahat said:
so Raging Spaniard, did you make your final decision on a background yet?

Nope, but Im leaning towards the ones that arent so omgfuckingperfect. Theres a fun challenge in taking something from "Last Blade" and making it steampunk though ...

Raging Spaniard

Flying_Phoenix said:

Trust me, neither of those are the most original ideas for a background ever. Theyre both going for landscapes you see in Japan occasionally.

Rocwell

Man this thread is awesome, I wanted to post the MVC bathhouse stage but my google fu has failed me. The best I could find was this partial shot from some mugen forum...
bathfull.png

SNK really makes the best backgrounds though, that plaza with the rain in particular is absolutely stunning.

Raging Spaniard said:
Nope, but Im leaning towards the ones that arent so omgfuckingperfect. Theres a fun challenge in taking something from "Last Blade" and making it steampunk though ...

Oh, you want IMPERFECT backgrounds! This might be a good challenge then...going back to the granddaddy of them all...

bijatyki1.jpg

Raging Spaniard

someguyinahat said:
Oh, you want IMPERFECT backgrounds! This might be a good challenge then...going back to the granddaddy of them all...

bijatyki1.jpg

I guess the YELLOW needs to be there in order to be recognizable!

Found a bunch more, all from the vs. series or a few from Children of the Atom

MarvelVsCapcom-ClashOfSuperHeroes-AvengersBase.png

MarvelVsCapcom-ClashOfSuperHeroes-DailyBulgeRooftops.png

MarvelVsCapcom-ClashOfSuperHeroes-DrWily'sLab.png

MarvelSuperHeroesVsStreetFighter-ApocalypseNow!-Apocalypse.png

This ones more funny than anything

MarvelSuperHeroesVsStreetFighter-DeathValley.png

X-Men-ChildrenOfTheAtom-IceOnTheBeach.png

X-Men-ChildrenOfTheAtom-OnTheBlackbird.png

67.png

mvc-stage1.gif

Bonus, Dans stage in Alpha 2 is dope!

sfz2-dan.gif

daemonic

Banned
I had no idea how amazingly detailed some of those KoF backgrounds were.. incredible. Especially the one with the rain... damn.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AzureJericho said:
I love how the moon has a "NeoGeo" inscribed on it in that Last Blade background. :lol
OMG

and yeah that's samurai spirits :p

PBMax said:
Garou: Mark of the Wolves:
This is amazing. I've never even really noticed the incredible lighting in this scene.

krakov

So many awesome memories, my mind is blown by the sheer amount of details in some of these that I haven't noticed before. I really like the old KOF backgrounds and the intros they had back then.

mollipen

LiquidMetal14 said:
Someone post Stage of SNK from CvS1 please, I can't find it!

If you're talking about the rainy street scene with the arcade, that's exactly what I'm trying to find. Probably my favorite 2D fighting game background ever.

Finaika

shidoshi said:
If you're talking about the rainy street scene with the arcade, that's exactly what I'm trying to find. Probably my favorite 2D fighting game background ever.
This one?

xm3eh2.png

Raife

I never noticed how stunning the backgrounds in some of these games I've spent hours and hours playing are. Definitely dragging Last Blade 2 out of the closet to play some matches.

Top Bottom