• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here used those USB-powered PS3 Cooling Fans (phat model)?

offshore

Now that summer is approaching, my PS3 is beginning to heat up again. Four nights in a row now my PS3 has overheated and turned off.

Has anyone here used these things, and do they work? I don't want to just drop £200 on a slim PS3 on a whim, and would like to keep using my 60GB one if I could keep it cool.
59WP5.jpg

not one of those, but I keep my 60gb on a usb powered laptop cooling pad, and have never had any overheating issues. When I dont turn on the cooling pad, my ps3 fans kick on high after like 5 minutes of play, and pretty much stay there, but when the pad is turned on, they barely ever goes to high, and when they do, it's only for a minute or two. I just wish there was a usb port on the back of the console.

offshore

you got a link for which one, Jody?

I didn't think things like that would work, but I'm prepared to try it out rather than buying a new PS3.

fernoca

JodyAnthony said:
not one of those, but I keep my 60gb on a usb powered laptop cooling pad, and have never had any overheating issues. When I dont turn on the cooling pad, my ps3 fans kick on high after like 5 minutes of play, and pretty much stay there, but when the pad is turned on, they barely ever goes to high, and when they do, it's only for a minute or two. I just wish there was a usb port on the back of the console.
Which one are you using?
I'm planning on getting one for mine (slim); but the ones I like (flat) are really pricey ($50) and the cheaper ones (under $20) have all this curves and holes.

Hmm, never thought of using those... My PS3 also kicks into high gear pretty quick, something like this would help...

But why are some people recommending against these?

fernoca

JodyAnthony said:
I'd have to check the brand, I bought it at target years ago for like $25. It's similar to this one, only without removable fans: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NU5V4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
That one looks nice. Nice elevation, removable fans...hmm..will check if those are available around here; thanks.

@Regarding the negativity towards the Intercooler.
I only remember it towards the original 360 version.

That one plugged directly to the unit, and you had to connect the power cable to that extension. That caused the Xbox to not receive power directly from the supply, but through the Intercooler which caused some unbalance and inefficiency. This also caused Microsoft to not cover the warranty on people that reported problems because of using that Intercooler, or problems that started after the use of it.

It was fixed on later models that connected directly to the USB ports. I also remember some talk about the system being programmed to use more (or less) the fans depending on the temperature; so the extra fans confused the unit about which was the proper temperature...or something like that.

But I'm a little outdated about that info, so I don't know. :p

linkboy

Sounds like your PS3 could use some spring cleaning. Do you have any place that does console repair?

My 20GB was getting really loud, so I took it to my local Play N Trade and we did the following to it

A) Replaced the power supply with one from the 40GB model. It pulls less watts then the original (275 vs 315 if I recall correctly) and works with the 20 & 60s just fine.

B) Re-did the thermal paste. The stuff Sony uses is pure shit. It dries up and they just glob it on. Popped some Artic Silver 5 on it instead.

C) Vaccumed the dust out (I need to do this again when I get back home).

Just those things helped my PS3 big time. The fans still kick on, but nowhere near as bad as they used to. Its pretty much back to how it was when I bought it.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend those fans at all.

Zoe

This weekend the bf just drilled holes all over the case of my resurrected 60GB.

linkboy said:
A) Replaced the power supply with one from the 40GB model. It pulls less watts then the original (275 vs 315 if I recall correctly) and works with the 20 & 60s just fine.

Is there any risk here? I'm tempted to do that.

linkboy said:
Sounds like your PS3 could use some spring cleaning. Do you have any place that does console repair?

My 20GB was getting really loud, so I took it to my local Play N Trade and we did the following to it

B) Re-did the thermal paste. The stuff Sony uses is pure shit. It dries up and they just glob it on. Popped some Artic Silver 5 on it instead.

C) Vaccumed the dust out (I need to do this again when I get back home).

Just those things helped my PS3 big time. The fans still kick on, but nowhere near as bad as they used to. Its pretty much back to how it was when I bought it.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend those fans at all.
Wow that sounds like a nice option too, although I'm terrified of opening my console. Are there any easy to follow guides out there on how to do any of this?

clav

Do not use.

The only sufficient cooling would be to drill the casing to fit the pc fan through. You can borrow 5V from a USB port or if there are any non-soldered ports on the board.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Zoe said:
This weekend the bf just drilled holes all over the case of my resurrected 60GB.
Heh, that sounds hilarious but the phat could actually do with some extra holes!

DonMigs85

I prefer Ceramique to Arctic Silver since there's a lower risk of accidental short-circuits.
You can probably also pass on getting a lower-wattage PSU - cleaning out dust and reapplying thermal goo should suffice.

Cornbread78

I bought one of the Nyko fans, but it didn't help, once the system is on it's downword spiral, it will only delay the ineviatable. It did buy me enough time to back up almost everything on a 16 Gig USB drive, but it didn't stop my B/C from kickin' it.

clav

DonMigs85 said:
I prefer Ceramique to Arctic Silver since there's a lower risk of accidental short-circuits.
You can probably also pass on getting a lower-wattage PSU - cleaning out dust and reapplying thermal goo should suffice.
Ceramique is pretty old and doesn't cool as well. If you want to stay away from the silver-based compounds, what about the MX-2 or the OCZ Freeze?

linkboy

Zoe said:
Is there any risk here? I'm tempted to do that.

Not that I've seen. Its been almost a year since mine was replaced and my PS3 is still up and running

offshore said:
Can you change the power supply to a lower wattage? I didn't know you could do that.

Yes, the PS in the 40GB PS3 is works just fine with the 20 & 60GB models.

SwiftSketcher said:
Wow that sounds like a nice option too, although I'm terrified of opening my console. Are there any easy to follow guides out there on how to do any of this?

I was the same way, so I just took mine into my local Play N Trade. I know the managers there and they did it essentially for free (i gave them my old parts).

This is what I followed to replace the parts

3 tips for a cooler PS3

All together it cost me about $50 in parts (I also replaced my PS3's fan). I'm pretty sure there's some easy to follow guides out there.

I would only recommend the fine Nyko™ Intercooler® Nothing else comes close to the peace of mind you get from bolting a big wad of plastic onto your consoles vital ventilation holes! Also available in wine-cooler varieties!

offshore

linkboy said:
Yes, the PS in the 40GB PS3 is works just fine with the 20 & 60GB models.
Nice, I'll email my local electrical place and see if they can do that.

If I'd have known it could be done and saved power, I'd have enquired about it a long time ago.

linkboy

SwiftSketcher said:
I still don't understand why so many people are against a usb fan? Does it damage the system?

The original Nyko fan for the 360 plugged into the systems power cord port (and you just plugged the cord into that). It messed up some 360s due to connection issues (one actually caught on fire). MS didn't cover the warranty since it was caused by an unlicensed product.

Are the USB fans going to cause a problem like that, probably not. However, once people have that in their heads, its not going to change their minds.

I personally don't like them since they don't address the actual problem. Does it cool your system down, yes. Does it actually solve your problem, no.

Hellion

I bought some Rubber Feet for my 60g and its helped it stay cool. They cost about $3 at Radio Shack. I did the same to a friends 60g and he said it runs quieter and cooler now.

Zoe

Hellion said:
I bought some Rubber Feet for my 60g and its helped it stay cool. They cost about $3 at Radio Shack. I did the same to a friends 60g and he said it runs quieter and cooler now.

We did this too, to go along with the newly drilled holes on the bottom :lol

Borman

If you do want to use it, dont attach it to the console. If you have your PS3 in an entertainment center, use it to move air around to get cool air into the compartment (not that it should be in a tight spot anyway)

Zoe

Kyoufu said:
Sounds like your poor PS3 got defiled :(

It did :(

I hesitated when he asked me for permission, but I knew in the long run it would be the right thing to do.

JWong

Banned
Remembering people using those back then, the fans actually cause the PS3 to generate more heat than it is cooling. It can lead to burning out the PS3 or something.

Zoe

JWong said:
Remembering people using those back then, the fans actually cause the PS3 to generate more heat than it is cooling. It can lead to burning out the PS3 or something.

I believe that was the 360 where it'd even leave scorch marks. You'd void your warranty if you used one of them.

JWong said:
Wow what? Is it because it's supplying power somewhere else? Would plugging the usb in through another power source solve this?

Vorador

Banned
They work, but it's better to clean the insides of the machine. You can use canned air in the airflow ports, or far better, open the console and vacuuming the insides.

Zoe

Surprisingly, there was hardly any dust inside my PS3. This is after 4 years with three cats and no extra cleaning.

distrbnce

Banned
SwiftSketcher said:
I still don't understand why so many people are against a usb fan? Does it damage the system?

The PS3 was designed to have excellent ventilation... tacking on an extra piece of plastic destroys the elegance. It's just a way to get $20 out of you.

I would think the most yours needs is a vacuuming. PS3's overheating and shutting off is not a common problem.

This answer does not apply to the 360.

Top Bottom