• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS Store back by the end of this week for everyone except Japan, HK, and Korea

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Update:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201105/11-0531E/index.html

Quote:
SONY AND SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE FULL RESTORATION OF PLAYSTATION®NETWORK SERVICES
Full PlayStation®Network Services Restored; Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity™ to Become Available on PlayStation®3, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs

Sony Corporation
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Tokyo, May 31, 2011 - Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week. The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available.

The company implemented considerable security enhancements to the network infrastructure, as well as conducted testing of the payment process and commerce functions. The first phase of PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration began on May 15 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Japan and Asian countries and regions on May 28, when the company brought partial services back online. With this partial restoration users were able to access to some of the services such as online game play, account management, friend lists and chat functionality were restored. The full restoration of PlayStation Network as well as part of services to become available on Qriocity will include:

Full functionality on PlayStation®Store
In-game commerce
Ability to redeem vouchers and codes
Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PCs
Full functionality on Media Go

Customers can now purchase and download games and video content from the PlayStation®Store on PS3 or PSP. In addition, consumers will have full access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity through PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PC’s. Service restoration of Video on Demand powered by Qriocity™ and Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for a variety of network-enabled Sony devices will be announced later.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

The company will be offering customers a “Welcome Back” package of services and premium content to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services. The details of this program will continue to be detailed regionally.

* Only available for those countries with access to PlayStation®Store.

About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $78 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2010. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

Speedymanic said:
Nope,

PlayStation Network will undergo routine maintenance today, between 16:00 BST and 00:00 BST. If you wish to play online during the maintenance, please ensure you sign in to PSN before 16:00.

The latest information I have on PlayStation Store is that we are aiming to have it live by the end of May. Contrary to popular rumours, it will not be reopening tomorrow but we will let you know here as soon as the date is confirmed.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this essential maintenance.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/24/playstation-network-maintenance-later-today/

:/

-------------

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...utraNews+(Gamasutra+News)&utm_content=Twitter

Barring any additional problems, Sony plans to bring the PlayStation Store back online next Tuesday, May 24, according to a memo sent to the console's publishing partners.

The company has sent a tentative publishing schedule to partners detailing when their games, expansions and other releases will become available to players. In the memo, obtained by Gamasutra, Sony unveils plans to do two content pushes per week for the next two weeks to catch up with the backlog of content.

"We thank you for your patience as we work to resume service of the PlayStation Store," wrote PSN content manager Jack Osorno to developer partners.

The first push, set to coincide with the PlayStation Store's reopening, will distribute content that was originally scheduled to publish on April 26. Three days later on the 27th, another round of games will go live, which were originally scheduled for May 3.

The following week, pushes will take place on May 31 and June 3, using content that originally had been planned to be spread over three weeks. At that point, the company will be back on schedule and, presumably, return to a single content push per week.

While Sony is trying to maintain the queue that was already in place, the company says it is willing to move some titles around, depending on urgency. Seemingly, this would include DLC packs for existing titles that have already released expansions on other platforms.

"If there are concerns, we are willing to consider adjusting the release date of your content on this schedule," says Osorno. "Adjustments will be made on a case by case basis."

The launch of the PlayStation Store is one of the final steps to bringing the PlayStation Network back to full operation. Sony has said many times that it expected the network to be fully operational before the end of May.

Osorno's note does not detail what plans, if any, Sony has to assist developers who were impacted by the outage.

In some cases, that impact has been substantial. Capcom corporate officer and SVP Christian Svensson, for instance, has previously estimated the company's lost revenue from the outage as being in the "hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars."

Other developers have remained more supportive of Sony, but have made public appeals to the company to assist them with marketing their titles once the Store goes back online so that they might recoup any losses.

Sony, though, is actually in something of a power position -- especially with smaller developers. Despite the security crisis, the company remains one of the most powerful players in the video game industry, so few, if any, small shops are going to make a lot of noise complaining about the way they feel they have been treated. While some could jump to Microsoft's Xbox Live platform, they're unlikely to do so immediately.

For consumers, the relaunch of the PlayStation Store should get them one step closer to being able to claim the contents of their "Welcome Back" package. As detailed on Sony's U.S. PlayStation Blog, PlayStation 3 owners with existing PSN accounts will be able to download two free games from a pool that includes Dead Nation, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD.

Sony has said that those (and other) freebies would be made available once services are fully restored.

StuBurns

Banned
I hope that's the case, I'm not really that eager to get my free games with LA Noire tomorrow, but it's somewhat reassuring.

Shadow780

My credit card is ready!

2pzjjgot7e8.gif

The first thing I'm going to do, oddly enough, is download AdHoc Party. I just started playing MGS: PW this week and it's crying for some co-op action.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Nice. It would be even nicer if Sony has a grand re-opening sale. C'mon Sony, you know you want the revenue!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Sweet, but for a while I think Im gonna just buy PSN credit off amazon, yeah Im overly paranoid.

V_Ben

Banned
Laguna X said:
Nice. It would be even nicer if Sony has a grand re-opening sale. C'mon Sony, you know you want the revenue!

Well, when the store opens, everybody will be a PSN+ member, so everybody can buy Outland and Clash of Heroes for less! :D

Edit: AND BG&E HD! BUY THAT TOO.

KAL2006

Banned
I have £25 voucher ready which I only paid £20 for. I will be getting Beyond Good and Evil with the PSN+ discount. I wonder what other discounts PSN+ will offer. Of course I will also download my free games, and free themes.

Nizz

tapedeck said:
Sweet, but for a while I think Im gonna just buy PSN credit off amazon, yeah Im overly paranoid.
That's the way I'm going from here on out. PSN cards all the way. Amazon makes it easy too by being able to buy it from them and just enter a code.

Personally, I'm more excited for the PSN Store thread so I can beg for Breath of Fire III and IV some more

INVITE RYU AND NIA TO THE REOPENING CAPCOM!!

While Sony is trying to maintain the queue that was already in place, the company says it is willing to move some titles around, depending on urgency. Seemingly, this would include DLC packs for existing titles that have already released expansions on other platforms.

Honest Hearts better be on the store the day it goes up.

SykoTech

I hope BG&E is up quick, but I get the feeling it might be pushed back to next month. Oh well, I'll have inFamous in the meantime.

The initial splash screen you see when going in the PSN store should be a picture of Kaz, Eric Lempel, and Grace Chen bowing their heads in shame.

But glad to see things are finally returning to normal and I can finally buy Outland and Threads of Fate!

Dunlop

Solstice said:
They don't tell us because what if they miss it? You'll be even more pissed than if they tell you nothing.

this.

We had pages just speculating what "a few days" meant and ensuing rage with each passing day

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Outland, Under Siege, inFamous, L.A. Noire... you're mine!

daffy

Banned
Should be interesting to see how the reward plan will be handled.

Finally I can buy Pixuljunk Shooter II :D

Atruvius

Great. I need Back to the Future part 3 now and this better not mess with the release schedules of the next episodes!

Degen

i love how the general public always seems to find this shit out from some random game website; it's like sony doesn't evenginaaa caranooo

Kafel

Banned
Poor devs.

I thought Sony said they would help them but planning twice more releases per week might be ugly for their sales.

Top Bottom