• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam?INTCMP=SRCH

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.

"If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," he said.

The lack of regulations has meant that even prisoners can be exploited in this virtual world for profit.

According to figures from the China Internet Centre, nearly £1.2bn of make- believe currencies were traded in China in 2008 and the number of gamers who play to earn and trade credits are on the rise.

It is estimated that 80% of all gold farmers are in China and with the largest internet population in the world there are thought to be 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country.

UFRA

"If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," he said.

Wow, what the fuck...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dram said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam?INTCMP=SRCH

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.

The lack of regulations has meant that even prisoners can be exploited in this virtual world for profit.

According to figures from the China Internet Centre, nearly £1.2bn of make- believe currencies were traded in China in 2008 and the number of gamers who play to earn and trade credits are on the rise.

It is estimated that 80% of all gold farmers are in China and with the largest internet population in the world there are thought to be 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country.

Holy shit. Man, fuck China.

Archer

A related article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/may/25/gold-farmers-online-gaming/print

World-of-Warcraft-007.jpg

Josh Halliday
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 May 2011 20.15 BST

Tens of millions of people spend hours and pay big money for virtual gains on the most popular multiplayer online games, including World of Warcraft, Eve Online and EverQuest.

Behind these games are "gold farmers", who spend hours within the games each day, gathering virtual credits and selling them to gamers for real world cash.

The most recent estimates, from 2009, suggest that 400,000 people are employed as gold farmers across the world, with 85% of those in China and Vietnam, according to Professor Richard Heeks of the University of Manchester.

These gold farmers are almost entirely males between 18 and 25, and most are either cash-strapped college students or unemployed rural migrants. They sell in-game advantages – an increased skill level, or a virtual ore – to players eager to boost their online reputation.

The multiplayer online games industry has boomed in recent years thanks to increased internet access and the rise of social networks. World of Warcraft, easily the most popular of its kind, had 12 million subscribers last year.

According to a report published by the World Bank last month, gold farming was worth about $3bn (£1.85bn) in 2009 – most of which was kept by developing countries.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2011

Zhengi

So why aren't we doing that here in the US? We could be back filling our state budgets this way. Lazy good for nothing prisoners.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Archer said:
According to a report published by the World Bank last month, gold farming was worth about $3bn (£1.85bn) in 2009 – most of which was kept by developing countries.
Shieet. How much hours a day do you have to farm gold to be lucrative?

xbhaskarx

The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown

This is the worst part of the article...

Twilight Princess said:
Prisoners were forced to play wow, what does that make the average wow player?

lol

numble

The laojiao system needs to be abolished. It's a shame the movement 4 years ago to abolish it didn't pick up any speed. They've been cracking down on black jails and constantly reforming the death penalty system, but it's a shame that the re-education through labor system has not been touched. To those that don't know, re-education through labor system is separate from the formal criminal or judicial process--its ostensibly for "small crimes" like prostitution and drug use (but not drug trafficking) and the local police act as both prosecutor and judge, so it's rife with more corruption problems than average. I guess this NYT article is a okay primer: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/09/international/asia/09china.html

If they don't abolish it, I guess at least 1 step would be to allow a hearing or an impartial decisionmaker.

That all said, I would expect something like what happened in the story to have been more widely reported. The single source for this item is this anonymous Liu Dali guy, and I trust the reporting of the NYT, WSJ, Economist, and BBC on China reporting much more than the Guardian, which I've always found lacking. Heck, I'd even trust Caixin and Southern Weekly (private China papers) or Humans Right in China and China Labour Bulletin (NGOs that are explicitly against the Chinese government) before the Guardian's China reporting. Even the ChinaSmack blog. I've just always found the Guardian very lacking in the China-reporting end.

Forkball

Dram said:
The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown,
They sure are serious about filling out the right forms.

Duki

Banned
Blitz2o said:
Does Blizzard know about this?

edit: seriously though, how does china get away with cruelty this severe?
lmao what do you mean how do they get away with it

whos gonna stop them

Blitz2o

Banned
Duki said:
lmao what do you mean how do they get away with it

whos gonna stop them

Can't Blizzard just say something like "we don't like how you're using our game?"

I know they're all about profit, but surely they must still have some morals.

Xyphie

The worst thing is I've probably ganked the shit out of and corpsecamped this poor guy repeatedly, so I guess I'm responsible for him getting beaten for not doing his quota.

Back when WoW had farmers (now the gold sellers get all their gold through account scams) I harassed them so much it's not even funny.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
MYE said:
The WHAT?

GAF has a few posters who defend anything and everything China. Other sites have even more defenders of any news article that hurts China's image in any way. It's believed that on other sites, some of those posters are actually paid by the Chinese government.

numble

wienke said:
GAF has a few posters who defend anything and everything China. Other sites have even more defenders of any news article that hurts China's image in any way. It's believed that on other sites, some of those posters are actually paid by the Chinese government.
There isn't one single GAF poster like that. Even _Xenon_ who is actually from China and seems to be a nationalist, says bad stuff about officials and censorship, or the growing inequality. I think people correct misconceptions more than anything else.

midonnay

I don't see the downside of prisoners working their arses off (lay off the beatings though)

they should be put to work to build national infrastructure

eg: fibre internet.... most of the cost is through labour

obviously the downside is privatisation happy governments are willing to give corporations a gift for short term gain.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
midonnay said:
I don't see the downside of prisoners working their arses off (lay off the beatings though)

they should be put to work to build national infrastructure

eg: fibre internet.... most of the cost is through labour

obviously the downside is privatisation happy governments are willing to give corporations a gift for short term gain.

Fuck this noise.. Breaking the law shouldn't make you a slave...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Blitz2o said:
Can't Blizzard just say something like "we don't like how you're using our game?"

I know they're all about profit, but surely they must still have some morals.
I'd say it really is all about profit. What percentage of their userbase is over there? Even if they would want to ban the game over there, if Activision has any control over it I'd doubt they would even let em

Kentpaul said:
Tyson never had a prime, only a shitload of easy fights.
C'mon man, it was only made to look easy because of Tyson and how he loved to knock 'em dead early on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom