• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MacGruber is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This movie is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time, how did this bomb at the box office?

The gratuitous swearing was actually funny, whereas in Step-Brothers, it was a crutch the director and writers relied on that became less and less funny as the movie wore on.

sk3

Banned
One of the worst movies I've ever (mostly) seen, couldn't watch it all. My opinion of the lonely island guys changed dramatically when I found out they were responsible for this filth.

TheHakku

If you've never seen the original SNL skits... you should. They're way funnier. Probably because they're much shorter.

JTran2003

TheHakku said:
If you've never seen the original SNL skits... you should. They're way funnier. Probably because they're much shorter.

Never seen the movie... might one of these days when it comes on netflix streaming but the skits on SNL are funny imo

woolley

I can't stand the MacGruber skits on SNL, they aren't funny at all, so there's no way I would go and watch a whole movie about it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
wow, I guess it really is that polarizing. Is there anything that has come out in the last few years that is this funny?

Snake

I wanted to like it, but I really couldn't. A single SNL MacGruber sketch is worth more laughs than the entire movie.

Damn! All this time I thought I was alone.

The audience at the theater I was watching it at seemed to be mildly enjoying it. It just didn't work for me. Too slap-stick, I guess. I stepped right the fuck out and saw something else instead.

Edit: oh, and I wasn't the first to leave either. lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Rentahamster said:
This movie is hilarious, but I can see how morons would have a different opinion.

( j/k morons! :D )

I'm with you. I liked pretty much everything about this movie, especially once the colonel tells him he is through and he is trying to convince Piper to join his team. I was rolling. I haven't laughed like that since the first time I saw Anchorman.

It's hilarious at points. Other times it falls flat on its face.

The funniest part was when he was screaming for them to call an ambulance after he
accidentally blew up his newly assembled crew

That part had me laughing soooo hard.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
AwesomeSauce said:
Kfbr392!

I love Macgruber. Funniest movie I've seen at the theaters last year.

Damn, when Piper was flipping through MacGruber's note pad and all it had was the KFBR392 in it, I was dying. That shit was too funny.

AlteredBeast said:
This movie is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time, how did this bomb at the box office?

The gratuitous swearing was actually funny, whereas in Step-Brothers, it was a crutch the director and writers relied on that became less and less funny as the movie wore on.

It's really a horrible movie, word of mouth guaranteed this film would never be successful

Grifter

AlteredBeast said:
Damn, when Piper was flipping through MacGruber's note pad and all it had was the KFBR392 in it, I was dying. That shit was too funny.
That scene killed me, as did his attitudes toward Piper throughout the movie and Val Kilmer (driving past his wedding, lowering his car window, and yelling "FUCK YOU" in slow motion... come on). This movie needs some love.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
yeah, this is definitely one of the funniest movies I have seen. Can't believe most people are hating on this (probably loved the Hangover, which I thought was CRAZY overhyped)

ArjanN

I haven't seen it, from what I heard it's like all those other SNL sketches turned in to movies, in that it's basically one joke streched out over a full movie.

MacGruber is absolutely hilarious. It's not like the typical garbage attempts at comedy you see at the movies today...which are usually just a string of unrelated skits loosely tied together.

Unfortunately most SNL based movies are garbage and I don't think SNL has the draw/clout that it had in years passed. That's the only reason I can think of for MacGruber not doing well at the theaters when it was released.

guest1321

The movie wasn't funny at all. I watched until the end in hopes of it getting better, but that never happened. Overall it was a huge dissapointment

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Foxy Fox 39 said:
It's hilarious at points. Other times it falls flat on its face.

How I felt. I got a few hearty laughs out of it, but there was a lot of awkward silence too. Disappointing since it sounded great but I've seen worse.

AlteredBeast said:

best part

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
the part where Vicki goes in dressed as MacGruber to order coffee was hilarious, too. I hate her SNL stuff almost entirely, but she played the meek, neurotic character perfectly. His exchanges with her during this scene were hilarious.

What movie were you guys watching? How could this not be funny!

lol, I like all the agro posters in this thread who can't comprehend that not everybody shares their tastes in movies. Talk about butthurt.

Regrettably, I sat through this whole thing and didn't enjoy it. The only part I laughed at was the scene with the wires near the end of the film. I think that part was also in the trailers.

slider

Some bits were crap but other's were pure comedy genius IMO. But, unsurprisingly, it doesn't stand up to repeated viewings. I've made my gf watch it a few times and whilst it's getting funnier for her each time, it's getting slowly worse for me.

I had a friend round and I made him watch it. But I insisted he have a beer or two before viewing. It definitely helps

Will something's performance was brilliant I thought. Quite a bit of subtlety in all the stupidity.

the only 2 parts I found funny have already been mentioned
1. the girl going dressed as macgruber and repeating everything he says, easily the funniest part of the movie, and all around awesome scene.

2. guy flipping thru macgruber's notebook and seeing the license plate written down like a thousand times, was enough for a quick laugh

I don't watch SNL so I wasn't familiar with the macgruber skits but went into it wanting to like it, for the most part i didnt

big_z

The movie is stupid humor but it's really well done. It reminds me of comedies like loaded weapon.

Loved the parts with the car and when he asked for whiteout for lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom