• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk SideScroller - E3 2011 Screens and Info

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA)
Developer: Q-Games Ltd.
Genre: Strategic Action Shooter
Release: 2011

OVERVIEW
Q-Games, developer of the award-winning PixelJunk series, returns this summer with a nostalgic take on the series with its new side-scrolling shooter, PixelJunk™ SideScroller. Based on the unlockable stage from PixelJunk™ Shooter 2, PixelJunk Sidescroller is a complex and dynamic fluid simulation system, which fills the game world with flowing liquids and hazardous gases, while putting a new spin on arcade shooters. Blast holes in walls or use your ship itself to drill past scorching hot magma. The fluids react in real-time to the player’s actions and to other liquids, creating unique and exciting situations with every play.
Dodge flurries of alien bullets and strategically upgrade weapons as you battle your way through sweeping stages full of hazardous fluid and endless shooting mayhem. Each player’s goal is to get to the end of each level, while gathering scattered coins for points and protecting themselves from the barrage of enemy attacks. Players can look forward to brand new levels and ferocious boss attacks along the way.

KEY FEATURES
Stages as Puzzles - Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It takes strategy, planning and addictive replay to succeed.
Vector-Like Visuals – Water, magma, metal – and many other exciting fluids – get the PixelJunk treatment. Dodge pixelated magma-splosions as you navigate your ship through various reinvented environments.
Customize Your Arsenal – Retrofit your ship to match your style of play on the fly by switching between sophisticated weaponry to suit your strategic needs. Search for hidden Power Up items and upgrade your arsenal of weapons to unleash massive destruction!
Fully Adjustable Difficulty – Fear not! Play at your own pace by choosing your preferred difficulty setting. Checkpoints are plentiful, so PixelJunk SideScroller will keep pulling you back with its bubblingly addictive gameplay.
Online Rankings and YouTube Uploading – Share your scores and game footage with the world.

Ranger X

Well, they already did 2 shooters and here's a third one. I wish they would have gone the platformer route with this one. :/

NeoZylom

I was expecting a sidescroller platforming game :(

RyanardoDaVinci said:
So this is basically PixelJunk Shooter 3?

Oh yeah, very imaginative name.

Looks like it.
/disappointed (even if it looks gorgeous and will probably be awesome)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This sounds exactly like Shooter.

I am disappoint. :(

And sidescroller should be a PLATFORMER, not a shooter!

FootNinja said:
Looks like gravity crash.

Are we sure it isn't Gravity Crash? I mean damn they look exactly the same.

4308948225_48b1495369.jpg

kassatsu

Banned
Dylan told me tonight that this is actually a game that people in the PixelJunk Shooter universe play in the pods. That is why it has the CRT effects :p

dejay

Banned
It's funny because it's a side scroller and I have to scroll the screen sideways to read the op.

Neon styling like Gravity Crash - tick
Pixel Junk game - tick
Side scroller - tick

That's pretty much a guaranteed purchase from me. Shooter was ok but I actually prefer Gravity Crash. I haven't played a new side scroller in ages. I suck at them, like most games that require things like reflexes, but I like them.

Goldrusher

I'm sure it will be a good game, but so unoriginal.

Not only is it pretty much PixelJunk Shooter 3, they ripped off Gravity Crash's graphics.

Goldrusher said:
I'm sure it will be a good game, but so unoriginal.

Not only is it pretty much PixelJunk Shooter 3, they ripped off Gravity Crash's graphics.

This, I'm quite disappointed I must say, maybe the first PJ game I won't buy.

I'm really tired of the PixelJunk 'look'* and this looks like more of the same but mixed with a bit of Geometry Wars and Gravity Crash. There's so much stuff PixelJunk could be doing but aren't, a real shame. I was hoping for a platformer too when I saw the (terrible) title.

* What I mean by this is the distinct lack of hand-drawn artwork. I'm tired of the whole 2D meta/wireframe look. This is why Rayman Origins blew me away yesterday. Anyway, I'm sure this game will end up decent either way.

duckroll

Speedymanic said:

I hope this isn't representative of the game. It looks pretty disappointing from that footage. The screen stops scrolling, Shooter 2 enemies spawn on walls, you kill them, more spawn, repeat. The reuse of assets is probably the most disappointing part of this. I like the idea of a Pixeljunk sidescrolling shooter, but it could really have done with a completely original art design with brand new sprites, enemies, and effects. :/

V_Ben

Banned
Summer eh? Sounds like we might see some sort of PSN summer lineup or something. I hope so, they should be promoting their digital titles.

duckroll said:
I hope this isn't representative of the game. It looks pretty disappointing from that footage. The screen stops scrolling, Shooter 2 enemies spawn on walls, you kill them, more spawn, repeat. The reuse of assets is probably the most disappointing part of this. I like the idea of a Pixeljunk sidescrolling shooter, but it could really have done with a completely original art design with brand new sprites, enemies, and effects. :/

TBH they are not a big team and the amount of money they generate is not that high (multiplatform would help a lot IMHO) so I understand the need to recycle. Then again... this game looks like so many games on the iPad... they could have gone for something more interesting.

duckroll

NemesisPrime said:
TBH they are not a big team and the amount of money they generate is not that high (multiplatform would help a lot IMHO) so I understand the need to recycle. Then again... this game looks like so many games on the iPad... they could have gone for something more interesting.

I don't really agree here. Not being a big team is irrelevant in this case. If they want to recycle the assets for a sequel or expansion, it's fine and they have done so in the past. In fact, Pixeljunk Shooter 2 cost the full price of Shooter 1 and I don't think most people were bothered.

What bothers me is that they're positioning this as a new Pixeljunk title, but it is now the first brand new title to recycle stuff so obviously. That's disappointing. Racers, Monsters, Eden, and Shooter all had completely unique graphics and directions. That's what I expect when they come up with a new title. I don't think it's unreasonable.

We're not talking about 2 guys making a game they're releasing for free and asking for Paypal donations here. We're talking about a 10 buck digital download game from a developer in Japan with quite a long history of making interesting and unique stuff.

herod

I've all but given up on a Monsters sequel, which makes me very sad as it's by far my favourite game on PS3 and PSP.

I assume these shooting games are an easier sell, just like 3D shooters are on consoles?

Haunted

Came in here expecting this to top E3 so far (love Pixeljunk 1-4), but leave disappointed.

The recylcing of assets with a new filter is too blatant. Feels like this should be an optional mode for Pixeljunk Shooter 2 or something.

scrolling: ON
godmode: OFF
wireframe cheat: ON
sepia filter: OFF
neon filter: ON

Bam, there you go.

Top Bottom