• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is being developed by Next Level Games

Salsa

This thread title is correct ;P

logo.gif

Luigi_s_Mansion_2_32656.jpg

A highlight from the roundtable in case some people missed it.

Canadian team behind Punch-Out! Wii and the Mario Strikers games. Full devs on this one, should be interesting!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Cool, they earned it. It's great to see Nintendo trusting a Western company with high-profile titles. Hopefully they have Monster games making a new game as well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hahaha. Good that the real Nintendo developers aren't wasting their time on this C-tier project.

This makes me more interested in it. (Still haven't played the original.)

I wish they were working on a new Pro Wrestling though. That's my dream game from them after they did so well with Punch-Out!!

Figure this is as good a place as any to ask; do we have any sort of estimated or official release date for this and the other 3DS games that were announced? I wasn't really interested in owning one before but this, the new Mario Kart trailer, the Super Mario game and Paper Mario have changed my mind a bit, and I'm thinking about trading in my DSi towards a 3DS and Zelda later this month.

Outside of the Shin Megami Tensei game and maybe Mercenaries, there's not anything I want until the three Mario/ Luigi games, so if they're going to be fall/ winter releases, I might just wait. If one or more are coming out a bit sooner, like August/ September/ October time frame, I could deal with that.

Oblivion

Regulus Tera said:
Oblivion you used to be a cool guy.

:(

Real talk though, I played LM, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But come on, was anybody clamoring for a sequel afterwards? And of the many games in Nintendo's library that they could have created a sequel for, they choose LM?

Once they don't end up adding some stupid new mechanics I am good.

Just copy and paste the ideas of the original, and I am happy :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oblivion said:

Real talk though, I played LM, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But come on, was anybody clamoring for a sequel afterwards? And of the many games in Nintendo's library that they could have created a sequel for, they choose LM?

It was a wonderful concept that was over really quickly, maybe one or two sittings and with really scarce side stuff. That's why people wanted more.

Oblivion said:

personally i'd have liked them to add to that library, but i like this too. though Nintendo didn't choose this, Miyamoto wanted to make this, so it was made, cause he just don't give a fuck.

Tenck

Oblivion said:

It was too short, and could have been executed a lot better. My friend and I loved LM, yeah odd, and we happily waited for a sequel that would help us with our LM craving. Too bad it took this long :eek:

maeda

Gamer @ Heart said:
Nintendo needs to buy NLG already.
Exactly my thoughts, don't forget to add HeadStrong and Monster! Save them from the development of crappy licensed games.

Oblivion said:

I thought it was a great game and yes i have been clamoring for a sequel. What other nintendo franchises are screaming for sequels more than this (besides the ones that have already had heaps of sequels)?

Ushojax

maeda said:
Exactly my thoughts, don't forget to add HeadStrong and Monster! Save them from the development of crappy licensed games.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Art Academy, Punch-Out and PilotWings Resort all felt like internally developed games.

Oblivion said:
Hahaha. Good that the real Nintendo developers aren't wasting their time on this C-tier project.

Based on the trailers we've seen today.

I'd take Luigi's Mansion 2 over Super Mario 3DS if given the choice. Hands down.

AdventureRacing said:
I thought it was a great game and yes i have been clamoring for a sequel. What other nintendo franchises are screaming for sequels more than this (besides the ones that have already had heaps of sequels)?

F zero is the only one I can think of that hasn't had a sequel almost equally as long as luigi's mansion hasn't, since pikmin is still being teased as coming.

Bluth54

maeda said:
Yeah I totally agree, Next Level, Headstrong and Monster would all make excellent purchases for Nintendo.

Madao

why is that most 3DS games are outsourced? is WiiU development really eating away nintendo's resources that badly?

at least this is a proven dev so there shouldn't be issues. as long as the game is longer than the first one and has more variety, it should be good.

GCX

DoomXploder7 said:
F zero is the only one I can think of that hasn't had a sequel almost equally as long as luigi's mansion hasn't, since pikmin is still being teased as coming.
Wave Race.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DoomXploder7 said:
I'm stilll waiting for my sequel to Nazo no Murasame Jo.. but maybe that's just me...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gameboy said:
Why Nintendo, why? Why do you release this game on the 3DS? I want this on the WiiU.
Maybe because Luigi's Mansion was originally going to be a 3D game. Now that they have a system that supports 3D for the consumer they can finally bring that vision to life.

Well I guess this confirms that LM2 will have god tier animation.

klier

Regulus Tera said:
Oblivion you used to be a cool guy.

He's right. I absolutely LOVE Luigi's Mansion, but on the 3DS it's good to see it's not an EAD team developing it. This way they have more time/space for WiiU projects like Pikmin 3. If Luigi's Mansion 2 was on WiiU; different story of course.

Besides, LM 2 looks just perfect already. EAD or no EAD. Even the animations are stunning, not to mention the particle system, lighting system, textures..everything looks good! A true LM sequel.

Salsa

linko9 said:
First step: Put Takamaru in Smash as a playable character. Worked for Pit.

more like put Takamaru in Smash Bros to make it a familiar face to the west. Worked for this guy:

ike.png

Ushojax

BGBW said:
Maybe because Luigi's Mansion was originally going to be a 3D game. Now that they have a system that supports 3D for the consumer they can finally bring that vision to life.

I think this game really suits 3D. The design of the ghosts and the lighting used, there are all sorts of cool effects they can use. With another 6-12 months in the cooker I'm sure this will be one of the best looking games on the 3DS, the Cube game still looks sumptuous.

BGBW said:

But LM was also originally a waggle game.

maeda

I just thought of an Utopian set up of Nintendo western dev satellites around Retro Studios. I wish Nintendo expanded and got a hold of more little brilliant developers like NLG.
And what's up with the sentiment that all internal Nintendo teams should focus on Wii U, while 3ds dev should be relegated to outside partners? I mean 3ds has things that Wii U does not...

Oblivion

Regulus Tera said:
It was a wonderful concept that was over really quickly, maybe one or two sittings and with really scarce side stuff. That's why people wanted more.

I'll definitely agree it would should have had more content. Probably may have changed my opinion.

MrCookiepants said:
Based on the trailers we've seen today.

I'd take Luigi's Mansion 2 over Super Mario 3DS if given the choice. Hands down.

Wow, and here I thought I supported Hitler!

How do you sleep at night, sir?

Top Bottom