• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live coming to the PC

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Microsoft reveals Xbox LIVE will be built into Windows 8
winrumors said:
Microsoft has revealed that its Xbox LIVE service will be built into PCs in the future.

Mike Delman, Microsoft’s vice president of global marketing in the interactive entertainment business unit, revealed the company’s plans in an interview this week. Speaking to The Seattle Times, Delman confirmed that Windows 8 will include Xbox LIVE integration:
Mike Delman said:
Live has been successful on the Windows Phone. Live will be built into the PC. It will be the service where you get your entertainment. We were talking about it — you will not just see consoles and handhelds at this show next year, this show’s going to morph into other devices.
Delman also answered questions on how the service and content will be part of Windows 8:
Mike Delman said:
There will be a lot of similarities in design and service philosophy. Whether it’s us or Apple or anybody else, people want to be able to navigate through multiple devices in a certain ecosystem very seamlessly so we’re committed to that.
Asked whether Xbox LIVE would be a cloud media service that works across Windows PCs as well as phones and Xbox, Delman confirmed that Xbox LIVE will be the “pervasive media service” across devices. He also revealed that the company’s Xbox LIVE and SkyDrive storage asssets will be unified and that the change will be good for Microsoft and “good for consumers.”

WinRumors revealed earlier this week that Microsoft is currently experimenting with Silverlight applications on Xbox and Windows 8. The company will reveal its true three screens and a cloud strategy at its BUILD developer conference in September. Xbox is clearly a very important part of the overall strategy and a strong consumer brand.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I fail to see how this is great news.

Aurarian

Don't really know what to think about this... As long as it doesn't turn into that awful spawn of evil called GFWL then I guess I'll be cool with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Watch, Microsoft, as I promptly uninstall your bullshit and fire up Steam.

Cimarron

Interesting... Will my achievements on both platforms be added to my gamer tag? If yes then I may soon be ascending to the PC master race.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i wonder if it will have anything to do with games at all though, they have been saying for awhile that the Xbox Brand will be their entertainment brand and not just a gaming brand from now on.

JaseC

Shard said:
They tried before and failed spectacularly with Games For Windows Live.

That would be the point, yes.

1-D_FTW said:
Windows 7 to be the new XP confirmed?

This has been the case for a while now. Win7 is everything Vista should have been.

Salaadin

I wonder if its going to replace GFWL. I hope so.

I was on XBL voice chat last night and went to play Batman:AA on my PC. Doing so logged me out of XBL and into GFWL, kicking me from the chat. You cant join voice chats from GFWL so I had to stop playing Batman if I wanted to talk to my friends over Xbox.

Shard said:
They tried before and failed spectacularly with Games For Windows Live.
Yeah, I do remember they tried it for cross platform play. It failed miserably, and I'm glad it did. They better not even think of doing that again.

Before Games for Windows, I'd have been pretty passive to this news.

But we're in a post Games for Windows world, so all I can think is kill it with fire.

coopolon

capitalCORN said:
Trying to charge for multiplayer are we?

They've already tried it and it met with disastrous results. Even as multiplayer PC gaming gets more and more consolized by the Infinity Wards of the world, actually being able to charge for it is still a long way away I think. At least as long as Steam is as pervasive as it is.

Are they really trying again? I wish they would have just left it out of Halo 2 PC and went with regular old server list and skipped all that Games for Windows crap.

Mrbob

Xbox Live is already on PC.

Edit: Built into Windows 8. Not a big deal MS bundles all their software with Windows all the time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, if it comes with their main console games, I'm not opposed, assuming there's no charge for it.

Interfectum said:
So regardless of platform "xbox" is now the name of their entertainment brand?
Yeah, since the brand is now popular among mainstream audiences as well they decided to expand it to everything.

This isn't about paying for multiplayer, this is about buying stuff on one device and using it on all the other live devices.
Q: Will Xbox offer games on certified phones, similar to what Sony's PlayStation is doing with Android phones?

A: We think there's a lot of potential on the Windows phones. With the Nokia relationship, we're going to have a lot more distribution of phones and Live will be the primary entertainment service. I think that's going to be a good play for us.

If we have that and the PCs to leverage, that will be a big Live base. It's our job to make "buy a movie in one place and play it everywhere, buy a game in one place and play it everywhere." Making things portable will be a big focus of ours.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Cimarron said:
Interesting... Will my achievements on both platforms be added to my gamer tag? If yes then I may soon be ascending to the PC master race.
i'd tell you something about gfwl right now, but the mere thought of your grubby mtn dew fuelled fingers gracing the wasd cluster is causing my neurons to die off by means of escape.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You mean I'll be able to play games, watch movies, and talk to my friends on my computer? Surely what a magical service this is.

Goddamn I hate the name "Xbox". I wish they could have thought of a better name before taking the brand to the next level. I thought "Zune" was stupid too. I guess it's hard to come up with good names.

The_Technomancer said:
You mean I'll be able to play games, watch movies, and talk to my friends on my computer? Surely what a magical service this is.
i love you.

dionysus

Yaldog
So now PCs will have Windows Live, Game for Windows Live, and Xbox Live. All of them focused on entertainment and connectivity. Awesome. How many silos does MS have?

Oreoleo

kadotsu said:
If live arcade makes it to PCs there will be no reason for me to own a current or future XBOX.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a bigger push for this to happen. From a technical perspective there's no reason why XBLA games couldn't come out day and date on PC as well as 360.

JaseC

AbsoluteZero said:
Should be just as easy as uninstalling Internet Explorer back in Windows 98.

I'll download a modified ISO with XBL removed if I have to. It's not piracy if I have my legit key obtained through MSDNAA. ;)

Unless... removing it really is as hellish as removing IE from Win98 was. :p

54-46!

eWt7o.jpg

dionysus

Yaldog
TimmiT said:
Does this mean that XBLA games are coming to PC?

This is a good thing. One downside though is if XBLA games stop having other PC versions. XBLA prices tend to be higher over time than the same game distributed through Steam.

You all realize that GFWL is still around and kicking right? I mean, it's absolutely a shitty shitty abomination but games as recent as Dirt 3 shipped with it a couple weeks ago. It's still around, it won't die.

:(

JaseC

Houston3000 said:
You all realize that GFWL is still around and kicking right? I mean, it's absolutely a shitty shitty abomination but games as recent as Dirt 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon shipped with it a couple weeks ago . Tons of games use that crap - all the shitty Capcom ports (Dead Rising 2 for example), Codemaster games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the last two Red Faction games, etc. It's still around, it won't die.

How can you kill that which has never lived?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Houston3000 said:
You all realize that GFWL is still around and kicking right? I mean, it's absolutely a shitty shitty abomination but games as recent as Dirt 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon shipped with it a couple weeks ago . Tons of games use that crap - all the shitty Capcom ports (Dead Rising 2 for example), Codemaster games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the last two Red Faction games, etc. It's still around, it won't die.

RF:A isn't GFWL, it is Steamworks.

New Vegas isn't GFWL, it is Steamworks.

Top Bottom