• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Turtles in Time Re-Shelled will be GONE in the US after June 30

LiK

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/23/tmnt-re-shelled-no-longer-available-in-us-after-june-30/

An expired license has done what Shredder, Baxter Stockman, Krang, and even Krang in a big robot suit could never do: defeated the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Reader Marty alerted us to an ad on the PlayStation Store noting that it's the "Last Chance to Purchase!" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled. We then checked with Ubisoft, who revealed to Joystiq that the game is going away in the US on June 30.

So if you were ever planning on trying that out, perhaps with a nice pizza ... do it now. But do replace that pizza you ordered two years ago when you first had the idea.

http://www.destructoid.com/tmnt-turtles-in-time-re-shelled-getting-pulled-from-us-204514.phtml

Ubisoft has confirmed that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled will soon be de-listed and abolished from Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network in North America. The yanking is due to an expiring license, and it'll occur on June 30.

The game was largely considered an awful take on a classic game, so I doubt many tears will be shed. Just goes to show, however, that one can't rely on digital content forever. Makes one wonder what'll happen in this industry's fabled all-digital future, though, that games can just disappear forever like that.

Probably a good thing. Game was a terrible remake. Hope someone puts the original arcade version up instead.

The candle that burns the brightest etc etc etc

I'm pissed because for some reason I was in the mood for Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe on XBLA and that was delisted.

Struct09

I thought the remake was OK.

I still would love a simple re-release of the game, with all the original music intact. Hopefully whoever gets the license can make that happen.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Just goes to show, however, that one can't rely on digital content forever.
More like one can't rely on creating games off of other people's properties forever.

But hey, theirs is more sensationalist and fear-mongering.

On one of the other sites, a person was quick to point out that a fully playable version of the original classic is on the PS2 disk for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.

Mrbob

This remake sucked so not the worst thing to happen.

Give me the arcade version unaltered, or better yet SNES revision.

sajj316

I enjoyed the game .. somewhat. Since I have it downloaded already, I assume it should still be in my download list?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wait. Why would this affect Re-Shelled but not the 1989 Arcade game?

VillageBC said:
So, if I already bought it and my PS3/HDD craps out. I won't be able to re-download it?
You will be (at least I think, not sure how it is on PSN).

You just can't BUY it after the stated date.

Mrbob

VillageBC said:
So, if I already bought it and my PS3/HDD craps out. I won't be able to re-download it?

You should be able to download again from your purchase history. Just won't be able to buy it anymore.

Princess Skittles said:
Wait. Why would this affect Re-Shelled but not the 1989 Arcade game?

It is a good question to ask. Maybe UBI using this as an excuse to pull this abomination off the shelf and give us the real deal.

surly

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
More like one can't rely on creating games off of other people's properties forever.

This will be the 26th game delisted from XBLA though, so they have a point I guess.

giggas

So if Ubi is losing their license for this, is it for TMNT in total or just this game? Would this also affect the NES TMNT on Wii and TMNT Arcade on Xbox?

Tymerend

Meh, never really cared for Turtles in Time. It's remake did nothing to change that. I loved the hell out of the first game in the arcade, though.

This one vanishing off of the stores doesn't really concern me.

jediyoshi

VillageBC said:

I would assume you can still download it if it was purchased, at least that's the case with content on the 360 that gets pulled

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
surly said:
This will be the 26th game delisted from XBLA though, so they have a point I guess.
Now count how many of those were due to licensing issues.

Original content will by far and wide, rarely ever be affected by this.

Takao

Banned
giggas said:
So if Ubi is losing their license for this, is it for TMNT in total or just this game? Would this also affect the NES TMNT on Wii and TMNT Arcade on Xbox?

It's probably the entire license. Ubisoft was given their license by two companies who no longer own the Ninja Turtles.

2ithgsm.jpg

I'm a huge turtles fan, and I was more disappointed with Re-Shell then almost anything last year. Really wish someone would get the turtles license other than Ubi.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Can't they just remove it permanently from every store?

surly said:

if it weren't for XBLA and DD most of those games (including this one) wouldn't have existed in the first place. Or would you rather pay $50 for a disc version of TMNT Reshelled?

crimzonflame said:
I have never played the remake but why was it universally panned?

There was loads of little things, but the music from the original was replaced with what sounded like music you hear while riding a lift. Every single song, on every single level, sucked. That annoyed me the most.

LosDaddie

Banned
It was good for a nostalgia trip, and that's it.

TiT was designed as an arcade game and it showed. I don't know why people were disappointed with the game.

Princess Skittles said:

Which describes just about EVERYTHING about Destructoid.

giggas

crimzonflame said:
I have never played the remake but why was it universally panned?

Number one, the music is a total abomination. That's like the biggest crime. Aside from that, it's a soulless remake that kind of doesn't understand what made the original work so well. Even though in spirit they're the same, it plays a lot different, and not for the better either.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Hey, I am liking that publishers are being more progressive in giving us warnings on these situations, such as Sega did with Outrun 2 XBLA.

Ninja Scooter said:
if it weren't for XBLA and DD most of those games (including this one) wouldn't have existed in the first place. Or would you rather pay $50 for a disc version of TMNT Reshelled?
Preach!

LiK

Lord-Audie said:
You're joking right?
Nope, SNES version added a ton of enhancements that the arcade version didnt have. Look up the differences. SNES version is the superior one...seriously.

fernoca

Already have the game and enjoyed it. Anyone that got it can download it anyway, by going to the purchase history.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Princess Skittles said:

I just hope they don't take away Scott Pilgrim vs. The World game. :/

Salsa

good, now no one has to buy this ugly ass version and we can all enjoy the music of the original and pretend this never happened

giggas

Takao said:
It's probably the entire license. Ubisoft was given their license by two companies who no longer own the Ninja Turtles.

If that's the case, I guess its because Nick owns them. So I guess this means THQ will be involved with future TMNT games. Probably just as bad as Ubi having the license.

Oh well, TMNT games haven't been good since the 16 bit days anyway.

Mithos

Princess Skittles said:
Hey, I am liking that publishers are being more progressive in giving us warnings on these situations, such as Sega did with Outrun 2 XBLA.
Would like them a lot more if they just stopped removing games period.

Anslon said:
On one of the other sites, a person was quick to point out that a fully playable version of the original classic is on the PS2 disk for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.
Playable, yes. But all of the original music has been stripped out and replaced with generic rubbish.

Regarding Re-Shelled being de-listed, it's about time. Turtles in Time Re-Shelled is completely awful in every way and Ubisoft should be ashamed for even putting it out.

LiK said:
Nope, SNES version added a ton of enhancements that the arcade version didnt have. Look up the differences. SNES version is the superior one...seriously.

What enhancements?

SNES:

2 Player
6 Characters on the screen at the same time limit.
Both the Sewer and the Sky board stages were RUINED... RUINNNNEENENEND
Also Rat King sucked.
The technodrome stage wasn't worth it.
THEY TOOK OUT LIGHTSABER SHREDDER FOR LAME ASS MUTANT SHREDDER...

*HEAD EXPLODES*

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE.

i can't forget how much i raged on the SNES ver. because of how crap it was compared to arcade.

Come at me Bro. This is my childhood ruined by one game that failed to live up to the arcade.

Note: More lame stages =/= Better game.

Top Bottom