• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohhhh so THAT'S why "Pet Sounds" is so highly regarded....you will say wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

nSENI.jpg

The Pet Sounds box set features behind the scenes audio during the making of Pet Sounds. This user set that audio to pictures for a better illustration and the result is fanfuckingtastic.

Behind The Sounds - Pet Sounds
============================
Part 1 God Only Knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVUBpzlELOg

Part 2 Sloop John B.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9iu65sot1E

Part 3 Let's Go Away For A While: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qytcPopEalE

Part 4 I'm Waiting For The Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sl6IG_uxx8

Part 5 Don't Talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIETb-6n1M8

Part 6 That's Not Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFEAoF7RC7Y

Part 7 You Still Believe In Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF565zjxZw

Part 8 Wouldn't It Be Nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofByti7A4uM (this one is my fav.)

I suggest reading the Pet Sounds Wikipedia to put it all in proper context
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds

besada

Banned
A truly beautiful and amazing album. And technically amazing considering what Wilson had to work with.

Shame the next album drove him crazy.

He and Phil Spector and George Martin ought to be feted by every modern producer, since they largely invented the job. And the competition between Wilson and the Beatles made some sublime music.

God Only Knows still gets to me more than three decades later, and the opening of Good Vibrations is still one of the best things I've heard.

Edit: Nice, spotify has the stereo remixes as well as the original monos.

woxel1

Fantastic album. Just picked up the mono vinyl reissue the other day. Holland is also worth checking out.

desertdroog

The Beach Boys, this album in particular, was going to define the American music-scape, at the time.

Then the British invaded...

The rest is history.

magicstop

Very cool, thanks for the links. I've always enjoyed the Beach Boys as a casual listener, but this certainly allows for some new perspective and enjoyment. Something about the Beach Boys subtle complexity and rich musical textures remind me of Paul Simon, who I adore. Cheers!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Im' at work and can't view youtube so I have no idea what's going on, but definitely bookmarked.

see5harp

Gonna watch the movies, but if you can't listen to the album and tell why it's regarded as great, you have no ears.

EDIT: That Don't Talk 8 track vocal acapella is beautiful.

see5harp said:
Gonna watch the movies, but if you can't listen to the album and tell why it's regarding as great, you have no ears.

Yeah, but there are still some things revealed in the vids that, even to someone like me, who probably listened to Pet Sounds 1,000 times with headphones on in the darkroom during my college days are pretty mind-blowing. (There were two years where, for some inexplicable reason, the only albums I ever bothered to bring to my darkroom were Pet Sounds, Elvis Costello's This Year's Model, and the Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot albums)

The thing in the "Wouldn't It Be Nice" video about the accordion... I would have never believed that wasn't a mandolin.

dream

I've only watched the Wouldn't It Be Nice video so far but I love how you can tell Brian Wilson has this amazing music all composed and recorded in his head and he just struggles trying to get it across to the session musicians because it's so intricately layered.

dream said:
Aren't they finishing and releasing the original SMiLE sometime this year?
how much of it was actually finished to begin with though?

I thought the new version came out pretty good, isn't it considered to be definitive?

dream

AlteredBeast said:
I guess I am just one of those crazies. I will take the worst Beatles stuff over this any day.

You might like this more:

41KIe1Oh7oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

poly, I don't know what they're actually releasing. I just remember reading this article a few months ago and I haven't heard anything about it since.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
polyh3dron said:
how much of it was actually finished to begin with though?

I thought the new version came out pretty good, isn't it considered to be definitive?
No way.
New version is interesting but not quite there.

There's some high quality bootlegs of the original Smile sessions that are fantastic.

Joe

i've known and felt that Pet Sounds was a great and classic album, it's obvious. but i've always wondered why it was considered to be one of the top 3 albums of all-times because there are literally tons of great and classic albums. these videos show me why. i would have never guessed there was this much complexity and so many various instruments in these songs.

see5harp

There's supposedly a Brian Wilson biopic or doc that is being developed. If you like this everyone should be watching the Harry Nilsson documentary on Netflix. That is particularly awesome if you like amazing male vocalists...guys like Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney.

Salazar

I recently listened to Sloop John B over and over and over again for a large part of the duration of a long haul flight.

This is heavenly, OP. Cheers.

Loxley

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" is one of my favorite songs of all time, so it's awesome to hear the behind the scenes recordings.

Also, Brian Wilson is a goddamn genius, and also a little crazy. Reading about how the song "Good Vibrations" was recorded alone gave me a whole new level of appreciation for his experimentation with sound recording/mixing, which was completely unique at the time.

EliCash

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

This seems as good a place as any to post my favourite Beach Boys song, blew me away the first time I heard it - Trader. Holland is an underrated album.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, Brian Wilson was a genius producer and engineer. Quite amazing when you learn more about him.

I miss the falsetto in music.

Imagine how much fucking money it would cost today for someone to hire all those session players and book a top of the line hollywood studio to record an album like that. Keep in mind a lot of this like you can hear in these youtube links was arranged in the studio with a lot of on-the-spot experimentation. That's a shitload of studio time and session player time. goddam.

see5harp

I think it's possible in the modern era. Maybe not to the extent, but I could see a band like Grizzly Bear going all out with their next release. Veckatimest had a ton of mixing and session work, I imagine.

The video reminded me of the scene in Walk Hard.

"We need more didjeridoos! 50,000 Didgiridoos!"

That being said, yes, this is one of the most perfect albums of all time and should be in EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S music collection. I don't know why we need a video of pictures to show the instruments that were used in it, but yes, miraculous the end result.

To the guy who said he would take the worst Beatles stuff any day, the best Beatles stuff may have never arrived were it not for this album. They had specifically mentioned how Revolver was released in response to Pet Sounds. Brian Wilson, in my liner notes, conversely mentioned that his passion to make Pet Sounds what it was was in response to Rubber Soul, so the two groups shaped each other's music and popular music as a whole. The Beatles deserve an enormous amount of respect, but I don't think they ever quite reached the apex of Pet Sounds. This is debatable of course, I say that as a person who believes the Beatles made some truly amazing album, worthy of any "best albums of all time" list a magazine cares to create. But Pet Sounds is just.... well, when something from Pet Sounds comes up on my mp3 player, I never push skip. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the Beatles.

Timber

the way brian wilson pronounces "world" in wouldn't it be nice is the reason i get out of bed every morning

You know, soon I am going to have to listen to the top 20 albums or so of Rolling Stone's 100 greatest albums. There's so much great stuff I've missed out on and if I don't start getting on with it now, I never will.

Altazor

DAT VOCAL HARMONIES

Brian Wilson was (still is? dunno, haven't heard his latest albums) a complete genius. And he had a wonderful, pure voice - sadly, years of drug abuse took the toll on him and by the time the BB released "Love You" his voice was a shadow of what it once was. A shame.

Still, "Pet Sounds" is one of the greatest albums of all time - OF ALL TIME.

dream said:
You might like this more:

41KIe1Oh7oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

poly, I don't know what they're actually releasing. I just remember reading this article a few months ago and I haven't heard anything about it since.

Yup amazing story behind that album, too. They did a fantastic job. I'm happy Wilson was able to get that release out, even 40 years later.

Brian Wilson is a genius. Especially when you take into account of how many of those Beach Boys hits that he wrote(pretty much on his own) at such a young age, oh and he's pretty much deaf in one ear.

Shiv47

dallow_bg said:
Greatest love song of all time, and never uses the word.

Used in the first line of the song. But a fantastic song, yes. Were people unaware this material was out there? The Pet Sounds box set has tons of this stuff, for the hardcore types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom