• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm didn't make money.

Mike Capps, president of Gears of War development studio, doesn't regret Bulletstorm. That game got a lot of hype—and some extraordinarily odd press coverage—when it was released earlier this year. It was an odd first-person shooter that was vulgar in tone and creative in execution, rewarding players for, well, being creative in how they executed kills in the game—more points, for example, if you shotgunned a guy into a giant space cactus.

I played it, enjoyed it, and tell people it's one of my 2011 favorites so far.

But Bulletstorm could hardly crack 300,000 units in its first month, according to a financial analyst. Someone from its publisher EA recently told me the game "under-performed." And Capps told me yesterday that it "didn't make money for us."

Epic still seems to be happy with what they made though.

http://kotaku.com/5823810/bulletstorm-didnt-make-money-but-it-was-worth-it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Odd juxtaposition between bright, vivacious colours and a really nasty, dirty tone (even on the cover art) + shooter with no multiplayer element + chain-scoring element not really well conveyed by the demo or the marketing + personally I felt like EA half-assed the marketing and distribution.

Pity, it looks like a pretty good game. I haven't seen it below $20 so I haven't picked it up yet.

S1kkZ

my goty so far. damn shame about the sales. finally a shooter that is different and no one cares...

the demo was also pretty bad and gave a wrong impression.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What a shame, and it's not like Bulletstorm is some niche game, it's something that could have appealed to a lot of gamers. I thought it would do much better than it did.

It's a great fucking game and it deserved to do better. ;_;

LiK

Stumpokapow said:
Odd juxtaposition between bright, vivacious colours and a really nasty, dirty tone (even on the cover art) + shooter with no multiplayer element + chain-scoring element not really well conveyed by the demo or the marketing + personally I felt like EA half-assed the marketing and distribution.

Pity, it looks like a pretty good game. I haven't seen it below $20 so I haven't picked it up yet.

so much fun.

Hopefully it was enough for them to consider a Bulletstorm 2. For as ridiculous as the story was, I'm genuinely interested with where they could go with it. Gameplay was incredibly solid.

Duffyside

Banned
I just started playing this game yesterday and am really enjoying it. Knew I would initially, but decided what was there wasn't worth 60 bucks. Don't regret that decision at all, but the game's very fun and extremely pretty. That's my favorite part about it; the lush, beautiful environments. I'm stopping all the time to look at the world and appreciate my surroundings. Very refreshing in a world of brown and gray shooters, especially coming from Epic.

KingJ2002

Good game but i saw this coming. A game like that is better being introduced at the beginning of a generation rather than the end. I'm sure if it was a Xbox 720 / PS4/ Wii U launch title... it would have sold like hot cakes.

same goes for shadows of the damned.

jackdoe

Stumpokapow said:
It's been $13 to $18 bucks during EA flash sales. I got the PC version for $13, but the console versions would ring you up $18.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Looked pretty good and I heard mostly good things about it. Wonder why it didn't sell.

Bummer, it was fucking amazing.

Here's hoping Epic considers it a foundation for a new IP and we get a sequel anyway (with New Game+!).

DryvBy

I blame that demo. I wanted it either way, but every one of my friends didn't get it due to the demo.

Bumhead

Banned
My GOTY 2011 so far and one of the most purely entertaining games I've played in years.

So sad this didn't sell.

MooMoo

Well maybe if it went on sale during the Steam summer sale they'd have a lot more sales :p This is still on my must-buy list since I liked the little I played of the demo. Just can't fork out the money for the full price at the moment.

Grisby

Dayum shame.

Game was a lot of fun. So bright, the characters were fun, and the skillshot system was a breath of fresh air. I felt like I was playing the pac-man of FPS's, always trying to get a better score.

Muffdraul

Bought it a few days after release, played it for a couple of hours. Never bothered with it again, regretted the spend.

V_Ben

Banned
It really was great fun, but it just felt like it didnt know what it wanted to be at all. Very strange.

Pimpbaa

Gamers really suck this generation. One of the best first person shooters, and it doesn't sell that good.

Bumhead

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
I blame that demo.

If I trusted solely the demo I wouldn't have bought the game. I thought the demo drastically undersold both the games humour and the skillshot system. I only bought the game on the recommendation of friends who I trust over such matters. On the basis of demo's and marketing I wouldn't have bothered.

-PXG-

Atolm said:
How's the PS3 version? I want the game but I don't have a 360 and my PC is a dinosaur.

Both versions are pretty much identical. Go for it. It should be dirt cheap by now.

Muffdraul said:
Bought it a few days after release, played it for a couple of hours. Never bothered with it again, regretted the spend.

ngbbs4cbfd2d27c8ef.jpg

LQX

It seems kind of backwards but I think it would have done better as an exclusive. There was just not much anticipation for it spread over three platforms. Great game though. I had lot of fun with it and hope they continue it.

Grisby said:
Dayum shame.

Game was a lot of fun. So bright, the characters were fun, and the skillshot system was a breath of fresh air. I felt like I was playing the pac-man of FPS's, always trying to get a better score.

Which is probably why it didn't sell.

It sounds like a indie/niche game in a AAA package.

sam27368

Banned
It was a really great game, AAA production and amazing set pieces, fantastic graphics (especially on PC, I was blown away by some parts) with a great story.

Really hope there is a sequel, although I doubt it.

It's a shame the game didn't do great. It was a great title. Really fun shooting and I mean the act of shooting was fun in it self thanks to the skill shot system. Some great set pieces and a surprisingly decent story. It really was a great package.

Game was OK. Bought it at launch and finished the single player in a day or so and maybe 5 minutes of multi. I haven't touch it since, and I doubt I ever will again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Pimpbaa said:
Gamers really suck this generation. One of the best first person shooters, and it doesn't sell that good.

This makes me wonder just who it is we're blaming when people say this. People always seem to default back to the 13 year old CoD player.

Stumpokapow said:
I thought some one mentioned that the game uses GFWL and that it would be a problem for you.

Edit: Right console version I guess.

Top Bottom