• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Interactive to publish Lollipop Chainsaw

Lock if old.

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT AND KADOKAWA GAMES BRING TOGETHER THE SWEET AND THE “UN-DEAD” IN LOLLIPOP CHAINSAW

Killer Heroine with a Chainsaw Fights to Stop Zombie Take Over in Suda51’s Latest Masterpiece for PS3 and Xbox 360

STOCKHOLM – August 1, 2011 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and KADOKAWA GAMES today announce a new partnership to bring Lollipop Chainsaw to gamers around the world in 2012 on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will be publishing the game outside of all Asian territories

Lollipop Chainsaw is an all-new third person action game being developed by GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE, led by celebrated gamemaker Goichi Suda (aka Suda51) and featuring the musical compositions of the renowned Akira Yamoaka. In addition to these two talented individuals, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has tapped Hollywood director/writer, James Gunn (Super, Slither, Dawn of the Dead, Tromeo and Juliet) to bring his cult humor and edgy storytelling to Lollipop Chainsaw.

“Our exciting partnership with KADOKAWA GAMES allows us to try something new by bringing a very unique game like Lollipop Chainsaw to Western markets,” said Martin Tremblay, President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE’s games have shown tremendous success with gamers around the globe and we are delighted to expand our portfolio of Japanese-developed games.”

“We are looking forward to partnering with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on our first entry into the HD console market," said Yoshimi Yasuda, President of KADOWAKA GAMES. "We are also thrilled to have a team like GRASSHOPPER and talent like Suda51 creating such an interesting and distinct game for us to work with and bring to the fans."
Lollipop Chainsaw is the ‘un-deadly’ story of sweet and killer zombie hunter Juliet Starling and her quest to uncover the root of a colossal zombie outbreak. With her wickedly awesome chainsaw in hand, Juliet slices, dices and splits her way through hordes of the undead, but soon realizes the horde is only the opening act to a festival of zombie rock lords determined to kill the chainsaw wielding cheerleader.

e849Ml.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well I think even WB can do better work than the shitty EA Partners Program‎, and I am ready for worthless pre-order skins.

Totobeni said:
Well I think even WB can do better work than the shitty EA Partners Program‎, and I am ready for worthless pre-order skins.

Warner generally is good about supporting the games they publish in terms of marketing, so hopefully they will do a better job then EA.

zoner said:
So we'll be getting this? Awesome. Day 1

AWESOME
The first day the game was announced [with screen shots], it was said it would be published in the US, but they didn't disclose the publisher.

Natiko

Banned
Wow, surprised to see it get picked up for a worldwide release by such a big publisher. Good for Suda51 though, despite being off put by the visuals I'll probably give it a shot because of who it's being made by.

Very nice to hear Warner Bros Interactive picked this up! I am happy to see a publisher like this pick up something that is niche just based on the name alone. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with WBI, and a sign that large publishers are willing to take a risk on an unknown IP.

Good on you, Warner!

Publisher to publisher, when will the Grasshopper legacy of flops end?

All the best to them, I love their games I just don't understand how publishers listen to them with their sales track record.

I'v been liking all the moves WB has been making into the games industries up to this point, unless they consider this a niche game they are going to lose a lot of money.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's surprising. Have the said who's actually directing this one yet?

Slime

Banned
I'm pretty sure I just heard someone say Grasshopper should team up with Tarantino or Rodriguez or something. When it comes to Hollywood directors with a history in exploitation-style cinema, Gunn is pretty much the next closest thing. Can't remember if that was on GAF or a podcast or something, but bravo. Looks to be exactly what they're doing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Slime said:
I'm pretty sure I just heard someone say Grasshopper should team up with Tarantino or Rodriguez or something. When it comes to Hollywood directors with a history in exploitation-style cinema, Gunn is pretty much the next closest thing. Can't remember if that was on GAF or a podcast or something, but bravo. Looks to be exactly what they're doing.
I wish he would do something really crazy like Flower, Sun & Rain or Killer7 again. He's getting stuck in this less interesting 'exploitation' mould of late.

I said wow that this game is even getting released over here.

It has bomba written all over it unfortunately for Grasshopper

Slime

Banned
Krev said:
I wish he would do something really crazy like Flower, Sun & Rain or Killer7 again. He's getting stuck in this less interesting 'exploitation' mould of late.

Agreed. The problem with 'auteur'-types is that whenever they start to get noticed, they sometimes tend to get more predictable. I still love the fact that someone like Suda can exist in the industry, but I can't say I'm as in love with what he's doing as I was back when I first played Flower, Sun, and Rain and Killer7.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MikeE21286 said:
I said wow that this game is even getting released over here.

It has bomba written all over it unfortunately for Grasshopper

Grasshopper has discovered the self sustainable bomba business model.

Discotheque said:
He is going a bit too Robert Rodriguez here, but I'm still enjoying it.

Definitely loved his older vibe more though

recently watched 'machete', & it reconfirmed that sotd sorta pales in comparison to most rodriguez (as does most tarrantino stuff, for that matter :) ). so, yeah, as much fun as he might be having, i also think the 'dark/weird' suda stuff was a lot more interesting/unique than the grindhouse wannabe stuff he's now into, & definitely hope he gets back into it after getting this out of his system...

Top Bottom