• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Technology groups attack academics in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A Mexican prosecutor says an anti-technology group is responsible for a package bomb that injured two university professors.

Prosecutor Alfredo Castillo says a group calling itself Individuals Tending to Savagery had signed a partially destroyed note found at the scene.

Castillo said Tuesday the group opposes experiments with nanotechnology, and has staged attacks on academics before.

One of the two professors who suffered non life-threatening injuries in the blast was involved in robotics research.

The package caused a small explosion at the Monterrey Technological Institute's campus in the State of Mexico on the outskirts of Mexico City Monday. Castillo is attorney general of Mexico State.

An unexploded artifact was also found at the installations of the IPN in Mexico City this afternoon.

A statement released by the group in the internet said that "the attacks were in protest against the impulse and develop of the nanotechnology and computer sciences, and their effects and consequences, that in a future might create a race of cyborgs that will get out of control and slave the human race".

Source.

Um, wtf?

Are they morons who watched one too many sci-fi movies and think that nanomachines will destroy humanity? What the hell is their motive?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, in the last paragraph, a statement by the group released on the interweb says that "the attacks were in protest against the impulse of the nanotechnology and computer sciences, and their effects and consequences, that in a future might create a race of cyborgs that will get out of control and slave the human race".

No joke. I Will include that bit in the OP.

Lonely1 said:
Yeah, in the last paragraph, a statement by the group released on the interweb says that "the attacks were in protest against the impulse of the nanotechnology and computer sciences, and their effects and consequences, that in a future might create a race of cyborgs that will get out of control and slave the human race".

LMAO

My father was telling me about this in the morning. Glad it wasn‘t my campus, still, gotta feel sorry for the guy that got hurt :/

We were both wondering about what the professor had done to get a bomb specifically adressed to himself. To think THAT was the reason just makes me laugh and feel embarassed and disgusted at the ignorance/stupidity of some people.

Zaptruder

Banned
Lonely1 said:

These guys do have a salient point to some degree.

Of course the efforts would be better expended by trying to figure out how to prevent the negative externalities that arise from advanced technologies rather than in trying to prevent them.

But then that would require a level of knowledge and understanding that would be at odds with the desire to be luddites.

They should be punished in an old fashion way

I suggest:
public-shaming-011.jpg

Teknoman

This plus the robo bird, jaguar + hunter partner, and big dog... it's like the prologue to some sci-fi action movie.

SamuraiX-

Lonely1 said:

Logic and practicality, how in the fuck do they work?

Too much Terminator and I, Robot for these stupid asses.

The technological singularity is our chance to create something more lasting than ourselves and these people seek to destroy it. Let their skins be the first to be used to disguise the Terminator Overlords.

Orayn

Lonely1 said:

What in the fucking fuckety fuck? Seriously? I hope they catch these jokers and throw them in a high-tech jail.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Anti-Technology group made me think of this.

Bender-obsoletely-_fabulous.jpg

I swear, this has got to be the dumbest, weirdest, and most hilarious terrorist attack I have read about. The story and quotes seem like it would be an Onion article. "Individuals Tending to Savagery", what the hell?. This whole situation sounds like it could be a plot of some god awful sci-fi movie.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SolarKnight said:
My father was telling me about this in the morning. Glad it wasn‘t my campus, still, gotta feel sorry for the guy that got hurt :/

We were both wondering about what the professor had done to get a bomb specifically adressed to himself. To think THAT was the reason just makes me laugh and feel embarassed and disgusted at the ignorance/stupidity of some people.
Tec Student?

blamite

Lonely1 said:

This paragraph is so insane that I can now no longer rule out the possibility that this is some crazy viral marketing campaign for Deus Ex or some shit.

Zzoram

blamite said:
This paragraph is so insane that I can now no longer rule out the possibility that this is some crazy viral marketing campaign for Deus Ex or some shit.

If this turned out to be a viral marketing campaign, WTF @ real bombs

Sennorin

Banned
lightless_shado said:

I think these people are idiots and science and progress is good, but...there *is* an off-chance that why they claim to fear will be happening. Sure, it´s the more fantastic kind of future, but still ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom