• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita dev kits to cost significantly less than PSP, PS2 or PS3.

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38459/PlayStation-Vita-dev-kit-priced

GDC Europe: Studios looking to make games on PSP successor will only have to pay €1,900

Speaking at GDC Europe, SCEE's George Bain has confirmed the price studios will have to pay for a PlayStation Vita development kit.

"The PS Vita development kit is going to be very affordable," said Bain. "And when I say affordable I mean €1,900 plus VAT."

The price, which Shuhei Yoshida told Develop would be within the financial reach of smaller studios back in June at EA, will come as good news to numerous small and medium studios. Web speculation to this point had suggested the price would be around $3,000.

The €1,900 price tag is significantly lower than the €20,000 charged for PS2 and PS3 dev kits, and the €15,000 fee for a PSP dev kit.

"There is no cost to join the PS Vita Develop Program," Bain added. "There's just that cost of the dev kit. If you're a small developer, we happy to talk to you about this. It will help if you have a games portfolio. There's no reason we won't speak with smaller studios about joining up."

Bain also confirmed that prototype dev kits can be free, and revealed that the SCEA PubFund, which offers studios budget for the creation of exclusive titles, is currently seeing up to 15 pitches a week.

The PS Vita Dev kit will, unlike the consumer version, feature HDMI out.

Bain concluded by confirming that while the Vita will eventually see non-gaming apps created with Sony partners, for now the company is only accepting game proposals. the system will also, like the PS3, boast support for freemium gaming models.

Damn... that's impressive. Gotta get the smaller developers on board.

Deadbeat

Banned
LiK said:
good news, i just hope this doesn't mean a ton of shovelware from unknown studios.
Theres nothing wrong with shovelware in itself existing. The ps2 got a ton of shovelware as well. Its when the system ONLY gets shovelware thats bad.

sphinx

the piano man
Go Vita Go.

I would SO love this thing to have a decent marketing campaign and 1 or 2 must have titles on launch and be the next "it" thing.

I REALLY hope it embraces social apps from youtube-facebook-twitter and offer angry birds and all that $1.00 crap in its readily available store and trounce those fucking smartphones and their miserable buttonless screens to the ground.

Low(ish) price, region free (well, 99% likely) and making it easy for devs to put games out on it. Sony doing all the right things with regards Vita, pre-launch.

survivor

Banned
So does this mean anyone can get the dev kit as long as they pay? So no need to prove you are an actual studio and aren't working in your basement?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Maybe this is a dumb question..but Ive always been curious what a dev kit for a portable system looks like. Is it just a PC with similar capabilities?

Orayn

Cheap, accessible devkits go a long way towards building a good platform. I'm not jumping on the Vita train just yet, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

SgtCobra

Thats impressive, Sony is doing a lot of good things with the PSV, this will surely bring the smaller developers on board.

Sydle

Great move on Sony's part. I hope this encourages the indie developers to test the waters on Vita.

My immediate concern with more content is the poor organization of the current PSN store, where it's difficult to find something and there aren't demos for everything. I hope Sony changes their stance on this.

Busaiku said:
Isn't that about as much as Wii dev kits?

Google tells me that they were actually cheaper at $1700.

And that system had an unprecedented amount of high quality content made by previously unknown, indie developers who took advantage of the opportunity offered by a lower barrier to entry to find enormous success. Let's hope the Vita continues that trend!

Jomjom

Banned
Good news that they cost less, but I do hope Sony is giving out these dev kits for free for people who are serious about developing for the system anyway.

EDIT: Ah missed the part about the Pub fund thing. Good news all around!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I really don't know what they look like. They can be anything from a large box that is labeled "PSP Vita Dev Kit", to a special modded PSP. Likely it is a large box with a vita attached to it.

Here is a PS2 and PSP Dev Kit:
51asfm.jpg

Here is an Official Prototype DS Dev Kit:
2sb495h.jpg

2dhfv48.jpg

21kblag.jpg

Here is Alpha Dreams Home Made Dev kit:
ibyijp.jpg

(Why yes, it is two types of Gameboy Advances and a Super Nintendo Controller wired together)

dvolovets

nckillthegrimace said:
And that system had an unprecedented amount of high quality content made by previously unknown, indie developers who took advantage of the opportunity offered by a lower barrier to entry to find enormous success. Let's hope the Vita continues that trend!
2hefzv9.jpg

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post, I just can't think of any indie Wii games that found "enormous" success, aside from perhaps World of Goo.

ReaperXL7

I know alot of people are down on portables these days but i'm really hoping this thing is successful. It really seems like sony has learned something here and it would be great to see the vita be atleast popular enough for it to last a good while. There are already a bunch of games announced that i'm looking forward to.

Just need a date for release at this point.

GDGF

Soothsayer
nckillthegrimace said:
Google tells me that they were actually cheaper at $1700.

So thick I can cut it with a knife!

At first I read 1,900 down from 2,000 and thought what the big deal was... then I saw the other zero on there. This only helps and opens the doors for more developers and in turn, more games.

Oh, and the dev kit having HDMI out shows the system can do it... but who knows as the PS3 dev kits still ship with 2X HDMI slots like originally shown on the consumer model.

bluemax

Banned
Drkirby said:
I really don't know. They can be anything from a large box that is labeled "PSP Vita Dev Kit", to a special modded PSP.

Here is an Official Prototype DS Dev Kit:
Here is Alpha Dreams Home Made Dev kit:

(Why yes, it is two types of Gameboy Advances and a Super Nintendo Controller wired together)

PSP Devkits looked very similar, albeit they were an ugly brown instead of blue.

Good thing about the cost, PS3 devkits were stupid expensive. I dont know how expensive PSP kits were but I know I worked at a place that made PSP games and we didn't have enough for everyone, which made testing multiplayer a bitch and a half.

Hari Seldon

$3k is a good price. It keeps out the horde hobbyists that overrun the app store but doesn't prevent the serious.

Edit: Although I would like it cheaper for my own selfish reasons, just because I wouldn't mind screwing around on one.

Zoe

wsippel said:
Dunno about Wii U, but Wii and 3DS devkits are supposedly even cheaper than that.

But isn't it difficult to become an authorized Nintendo developer?

Top Bottom