• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Patch 4.3: Deathwing, Change Armor Appearance, More Bank Storage

Interfectum

UPDATE:

New Raid
Deathwing raid will be the final raid of the expansion.
You will even get to ride on Deathwing's back during the fight, apparently to take him down over multiple phases.
The project for an Abyssal Maw is gone for the moment, the storyline wasn't convincing enough/fitting.

5-Man Instances
3 new 5-man instances will be added in this patch.
One of the instance will be in the Caverns of Time, for the War of the Ancients

Transmogrifier (Preview below)
The Transmogrifier NPC, which will let you change the appearance of any armor piece on you, while retaining the stats of your current gear. (= T12 stats, but with the Tier 2 look!)
Players won't be able to change the appearance of their armor into another armor type or class armor set, and you might have to own the armor before you can use it to swap the appearance of your existing armor.

Void Storage
The Void Storage is a new type of bank where players will be able to store their old armors in order to free up space in their regular bank.
It will hold 100-150 items. Anything stored there will lose all gems and enchantments.

Raid Finder
The Raid Finder will be introduced in Patch 4.3, it will work like the Dungeon Finder.

Darkmoon Faire
There will be a new Darkmoon Faire island with a bunch of new activities such as "Whack-a-Gnome"

00FD7O0W2T381313535897744.jpg

You’ve been asking for it, and we were listening. In patch 4.3 you’ll be able to customize the appearance of your weapons and armor like never before.

The Ethereals, emerging from the nether, will bring with them a new technology they call Transmogrification. They’re heading to the capital cities of Azeroth to set up shop and to offer adventurers a unique service -- copying the appearance of one magical item onto another. They only ask for a modest gold donation to recoup their costs.

Visiting a Transmogrifier will present players with a new interface that will allow them to change the appearance of an item while retaining its original stats. This means that you can raid in your paladin tier 12 Immolation set, but look like you’re wearing Lightbringer, while priests can bring Benediction back -- at least in spirit. Hunters can once again roam the jungles of Stranglethorn Vale in their tier 2 Dragonstalker set. You could even slip into the saucy tailored Black Mageweave set for that matter. You know, with the thigh highs, and the little gloves, and the cute little… ahem.

44WSGUQN50NM1313430128825.jpg

Placing an item into the Transmogrifier interface will offer a preview of how the item will appear once the change is applied. However, not all item pairings are compatible with Transmogrification. In general, only items that have stats can be used in the transmogrification process. You must also be able to wear both items when using this service. Ethereals don’t have much in the way of ethics, but allowing someone to appear as if they’re equipping unusable items crosses the line. Similarly, they won’t allow you to change weapon or armor types. Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace. Guns, bows, and crossbows will be the exception to this rule. You will finally be able to retain your dwarf’s racial gun bonus while appearing with all the splendor and elegance of a bow wielder (or at least the relative silence of one).

GS0I3WBBJ1E41313430137631.jpg

Placing items into the Transmogrify interface will increase the gold cost of the process, and clicking the Transmogrify button (assuming you have the necessary funds) will put the appearance change into effect. The process can be reversed by clicking the undo icon on each item, and then hitting the Transmogrify button once more to save the changes. Any item that’s transmogrified will have text indicating it’s been altered by the process for all to see, similar to the item tooltip callout for reforged items.

IIJ65WQ9TBZ41313430145158.jpg

Transmogrification encourages players to hold onto items with sentimental or aesthetic value, and the Ethereals anticipate that personal bag and bank space will be at a premium now that everyone will be hoarding their frilly pantaloons and leather jerkins. In anticipation of this new demand for additional storage space, they’ll be introducing a unique Void Storage service. What’s Void Storage, you ask? We’ll provide more details soon.

DZ06WIPJPDCM1313430152489.jpg

We’re looking forward to seeing how players choose to customize their character’s appearance, and hope you’re as excited as we are for the arrival of patch 4.3 and the Transmogrification feature. Do you have a favorite set or weapon that you’ll be bringing back? Let us know in the comments below.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3309048

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST:

We're at GamesCon in Cologne, Germany, and just did an interview with Tom Chilton, Lead Game Developer and Chris Robinson, Lead Art Director, in which they revealed a lot of details regarding patch 4.3 - and it seems that the announcement of it being huge was no joke:

Patch 4.3 will bring us the Deathwing raid instance! This means it's likely that we'll be able to fight the Aspect of Death in an epic encounter within this year. The raid that was originally expected for this patch, the "Abyssal Maw", was cut from the schedule because, as Chilton states, the setting and the story were not convincing enough.

Furthermore, 4.3 will also bring three entirely new 5-man instances - Chilton assured us that these won't contain any re-vamped content, but instead be brand new with unique design and models. Chilton also hinted at one of those being within the Caverns of Time, allowing players to experience another great moment of Warcraft Lore first-hand.

The interview also revealed the purpose of the "mystery ethereals" in Stormwind (and likely other cities, too). The "Transmogrifier" NPC will allow players to change the displayed model of equipment to that of another item while keeping the original attributes: Transmogrification is only possible within an armor class - Plate armor can only assume the looks of other Plate armor, for example.
Class restrictions apply to Transmogrification - Warriors cannot transmogrify their armor to look like Death Knight tier sets.
The developers are considering whether they should only allow using the models of equipment that has already been obtained

The "Void Storage" is a very large bank-esque storage which allows old equipment to be stored, freeing up inventory/bank slots for players. The developers aren't sure yet about the definition of "old equipment". The cost of the storage (and whether there even is one) is another thing that is not yet decided

Another possible feature that was hinted at is the possibility of "void stored" equipment being available to other characters on the account (NOTE: That part might be speculation from Gamona, not cross-server transfers actually confirmed. Hard to tell.)

Overall, it seems that we've got a huge patch ahead of us - a new raid, three brand new instances, Transmogrification and Void Storage.

Patch 4.3 - Deathwing, Transmogrifier, Void Storage
Tom Chilton (Kalgan) answered a couple of questions from Gamona.de on Patch 4.3, and we got a bunch of very interesting news out of it. Patch 4.3 will feature:

- New Raid - The Deathwing raid, making it very likely to be the last patch before the next expansion.

- 3 new 5-man instances - Including one in the Caverns of Time. (War of the Ancients was mentioned as a cataclysm instance a few years ago, but a lot of things have changed since then, who knows!)

- The Transmogrifier NPC, which will let you change the appearance of any armor piece on you, while retaining the stats of your current gear. (= T12 stats, but with the Tier 2 look!) Players won't be able to change the appearance of their armor into another armor type or class armor set, and you might have to own the armor before you can use it to swap the appearance of your existing armor.

- The Void Storage is a new type of bank where players will be able to store their old armors in order to free up space in their regular bank.

- The Abyssal Maw dungeon is gone for the moment, the storyline wasn't convincing enough/fitting.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2418-Patch-4.3-Deathwing-Transmogrifier-Void-Storage

Pandarans announced at Blizzcon?

Seiru

Banned
Let's hope that changing armor appearance isn't a "premium" feature.

Microtransactions in a game I already pay monthly for really rubs me the wrong way.

Interfectum

Seiru said:
Let's hope that changing armor appearance isn't a "premium" feature.

Microtransactions in a game I already pay monthly for really rubs me the wrong way.

Well they did backtrack on that Real ID Cross-server premium feature and ended up making it free... so who knows.

zlatko

Banned
I'm curious about this change armor appearance thing. Wouldn't it be easier to just download a program that lets you see w/e you want when you play in game, but others just see what you have equipped?

I remember in Final Fantasy XI using this program whenever I had stupid pants on like subligars, and that way my character never looked dorky. Banning never resulted from using it either, and I assume the WoW community has such a program at their disposal as well right?

Khezu

The Transmogrifier NPC, which will let you change the appearance of any armor piece on you, while retaining the stats of your current gear. (= T12 stats, but with the Tier 2 look!)

So like I can use highest level robes and make them look like stuff from Scarlet monastary?
If so that is awesome, stupid looking overly complicated shoulders and armor are one of my biggest problems with wow. I really dug the low level armor.

Wait, I wonder if you have to actually have the armor you want to turn it into, I would love to use that one paladin armor, judgment.

ultron87

Why do I feel like the Armor Change thing is going to be terribly expensive either from an in-game currency view or real money view?

One thing I really like about Rift was that it let you set up an outfit separate from your gear for free.

Either way, I'd love to be able to use some Tier 2 armor again. Those sets were great looking. Especially the Hunter tier 2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
4.3 will be Deathwing already? Has he been seen much in Cata much at all besides the start of Hyjal and the end of...uh, forgot the zone name. The zone with Grim Batol and his fight with Alex? I remember Blizzard talking him up in the same vein of Lich King who was everywhere in WotLK.

It really feels (just a feeling, not really true I guess) like Blizzard wants to move on from Cata ASAP. It has pretty much been a failure.

Ark

Preparing for another expansion already? But it's only been a year!

I'm sorry Blizzard but you just aren't going to get me back into WoW.

traveler

Not Wario
Deathwing is next? Caverns of Time: War of the Ancients will be a 5 man instead of a raid? No Old God boss this expansion? Wow, so they really are cutting down on the amount of content in expansions. Mists or whatever the next expansion ends up being will probably launch next Summer.

Lumine

Changing the appearance of your gear to anything you want? I don't understand, loot is such a huge part of this game, isn't this going to sort of ruin it?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lumine said:
Changing the appearance of your gear to anything you want? I don't understand, loot is such a huge part of this game, isn't this going to sort of ruin it?
Of course! That's why they never wanted to let us disable shoulder pads.

But Guild Wars 2 is doing it, so why not.

Tacitus_

Lumine said:

Not really. The only reason they've held back on it (their words), was that it'd ruin the ease of spotting a players gear in PvP. So it'll probably be PvE gear only.

Why don't they just have social slots in the char screen where you equip the armor with the look you want, you know, like in every recent MMO.

Why on earth would you need an npc for this.

Appearance tab has me mildly interested.
Kintaro said:
It really feels (just a feeling, not really true I guess) like Blizzard wants to move on from Cata ASAP. It has pretty much been a failure.
I thought Cata was fine (and people were happy with it for the first few months). The game is just old and people are tired of it.

glaurung

I wonder how the transmogrification is supposed to work.

Browsing some kind of a huge-ass collection of all the game's armor variations would be insane.

There has to be a pretty damn strict system in place, preventing level 1s from looking like they just murdered Deathwing and whatnot.

meh

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Like i said in the official thread, i wonder where is the Deathwing raid. There is nothing in the world to give any sort of hints, unlike Illidan or the Lich King. So either Blizzard will add a new zone somewhere, or they will just do some stupid shit like "Boom! There you go! New fortress magically showed up in Deepholm!"

Judderman

drawer by drawer
MrHicks said:
just make kil'jaiden the next expansion already
the lore is fucked beyond repair just do it

Yeah, let's just fast forward to Sargeras already. Let's get this over with.

glaurung said:
I wonder how the transmogrification is supposed to work.

Browsing some kind of a huge-ass collection of all the game's armor variations would be insane.

There has to be a pretty damn strict system in place, preventing level 1s from looking like they just murdered Deathwing and whatnot.

meh

Well it sounds like it might be like DCUO visual system, where you had to have owned the armor before to change the looks. You just can't make the armor look like anything, you can only make appearance look like something you have actually aquired.

Fularu

Banned
Kintaro said:
4.3 will be Deathwing already? Has he been seen much in Cata much at all besides the start of Hyjal and the end of...uh, forgot the zone name. The zone with Grim Batol and his fight with Alex? I remember Blizzard talking him up in the same vein of Lich King who was everywhere in WotLK.
The Twilight Highlands

Khezu

SneakyStephan said:
Why don't they just have social slots in the char screen where you equip the armor with the look you want, you know, like in every recent MMO.

Why on earth would you need an npc for this.

Hopefully so you don't actually have to have the armor, so every paladin ever can style in judgment.

Fularu

Banned
Bisnic said:
Like i said in the official thread, i wonder where is the Deathwing raid. There is nothing in the world to give any sort of hints, unlike Illidan or the Lich King. So either Blizzard will add a new zone somewhere, or they will just do some stupid shit like "Boom! There you go! New fortress magically showed up in Deepholm!"
Uh? He's prety much beneath Grim Batol

Acosta

Acidote said:
Every single Paladin a few hours after the patch is released:

jmHZP.jpg

Very true... I hate pallies playstyle, but the first one I saw one in Judgement back in vanilla times I was in awe (and green of envy). Glorious set.

The Transmogrifier will make me resub for a while I think. It will be fun having my Death Knight with the initial armor as a viable set.

ultron87

To use a Tier of gear you should have to either have had the equipment at one point (can they track that?) or have the achievement for dropping the final boss of that raid dungeon.

Should reward the OG folk by letting them style in the early sets. And if people really want to use the sets they can go 5-man BWL or whatever.

Aesthet1c

Changing your armor appearance sounds utterly stupid. It's nice to be able to look at someone and instantly know how geared they are. It also made everyone look unique because of all the different combinations of gear. Now everyone is going to look the same, wearing old tier looking armor, all matched and everything. Do not want.

Valnen

Makes me wish I could afford some WoW time...=(

My DK is getting his starting quest armor back+starting hood. Best "set" ever.

traveler

Not Wario
Aesthet1c said:
Changing your armor appearance sounds utterly stupid. It's nice to be able to look at someone and instantly know how geared they are. It also made everyone look unique because of all the different combinations of gear. Now everyone is going to look the same, wearing old tier looking armor, all matched and everything. Do not want.

I really don't see how allowing people to use any gear for appearance is going to result in more homogenization of look across players. That makes zero sense.

Your other point is more valid, though. Inspect is still around (and you should have the time to inspect someone, either in the game or through Armory) before you actually need to know how their gear is, but it's still a bit less convenient than before.

ultron87 said:
To use a Tier of gear you should have to either have had the equipment at one point (can they track that?) or have the achievement for dropping the final boss of that raid dungeon.

Should reward the OG folk by letting them style in the early sets. And if people really want to use the sets they can go 5-man BWL or whatever.

You have to have the gear according the info posted.

Interfectum

Aesthet1c said:

I feel the opposite. Everyone looks the same now. With this armor appearance change you'll see people wearing all kinds of different shit... there's like years of different armor sets to choose from.

ShaneB

The Paladin Judgement armour was the very first thing I thought, so yeah, I know that's going to be popular.

I haven't played WoW in so long, said I'll never go back to it seriously and I cancelled my account, but I'm sure I'll get tempted and go back and check things out someday, who knows.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Fularu said:

Really? Did they mention this sometime in the Twilight highlands quests? Because i dont remember. And there is really no raid entrance around Grim Batol to give any sort of hint, unless i missed it.

Venfayth

@anyone who complains about having to pay for premium features: lol

I think the transmogrifier npc could be okay, but I think it could be stupid if it does any of the following:

If you can change into gear you couldn't normally wear
If you can change into gear you haven't ever possessed

mclem

Fularu said:

Wasn't that where he was imprisoned... before they moved his prison to Deepholm? I don't recall anything much in *recent* lore about him having set up shop around there.

Biggest feature for me: Void Storage. I have *so much* accumulated gear I just don't want to let go of (A complete set of Headless Horseman's Helmets! A complete set of Frostscythes of Ahune! Complete Judgement!). I will gain *so much* bank from this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Deathwing will eat you all, casuals.

Aesthet1c said:

Seeing other games that let you do this already, it's not really true. People often have no taste and will make hideous custom visual loadouts anyways. And if they require people to actually own the armor before they can alter appearance, then your going to have lot of hodge podge creations.

Lumine said:
In Aion you can also do the item look change, nice thing about it is that your enemies or pvp rival can't work out your stats by looking at your visible armour, or you might like the look of a level 40 sword over some weird green level 60 one.

It's cool.

Acosta

Aesthet1c said:

What? Now everyone wears the same exact stupid set. I absolutely hated having my warlock look just exactly the same that every other warlock around (what variety are you talking about? everyone wears the last set and that's it.)

This will actually improve visual variety of characters.

Fularu

Banned
Bisnic said:
Really? Did they mention this sometime in the Twilight highlands quests? Because i dont remember. And there is really no raid entrance around Grim Batol to give any sort of hint, unless i missed it.
He comes out of it when fighting Alexstraza. Where else would he come from? It was his ancient prison and is now at the hands of his minions. There's a whole underground level beyond the last boss (from where Valiena and the orc come).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mclem said:
...and then the raid instance is within his body!

Don't tell me that wouldn't be awesome.
day 1

Top Bottom