• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Bans Xbox Live Content Thieves

LiK

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...-banhammer-down-on-xbox-live-content-thieves/

A new thread on Microsoft's Xbox Live Support forum explains that an unspecified numbers of users have been banned from the service following an investigation geared around rooting out Marketplace content thieves. The post goes on to state that there is "clear evidence" against those who have been banned and are now stuck with "a permanent suspension from the service."

Obviously, the identities of individual offenders are not being revealed. Microsoft isn't even saying how many wrongdoers it discovered. It looks like the company won't be hearing any excuses though. If you've been hit with the banhammer, it's because someone at Microsoft has verifiable evidence that your account is linked with illegally obtained content. That's what the company's position is, anyway.

markot

Banned
My main concern about these services, even steam, is the power that they wield when you become a customer.

ultron87

_dementia said:
Is this for folks who find erroneously free marketplace links?

I highly doubt it.

They can't ban people for using links that are on the official Marketplace website.

(looks nervously at free copy of Fable 2 and every Mass Effect 2 preorder bonus)

coopolon

_dementia said:
Is this for folks who find erroneously free marketplace links?

I actually downloaded Fable 2 awhile ago during the free link. After seeing your post I thought maybe but it looks like I am okay. I think this is more for like the time when you could pull the ethernet cord out of your xbox 360 during a download and it gave you the dlc for free or something. It was awhile ago, guess other stuff has been going on.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rock Band DLC has been pirateable for awhile. I know somebody who stole songs. I wonder if he will be banned.

Sydle

Good.

markot said:
My main concern about these services, even steam, is the power that they wield when you become a customer.

Don't steal, mod your console, or be a complete asshole online and you'll be fine.

why would they ban you for downloading stuff they put up for free? you guys are really scared of your corporate overlords...anywhoo...

this is probably for people who buy 6000 point accounts. I bought one, so now my 7 year long xbox account is in jeopardy, awesome. I didn't know it was a stolen account, figured it out after the fact (when I went to buy something and someone else's credit card info was on there, yikes.)

depths20XX

That's great, but they still havent refunded the money stolen on my account. Or reactivated my account for that matter.

Feindflug

Apparently you can have access to arcades, DLC from hacked accounts (something like game sharing I suppose)...maybe that's what MS is talking about.

Also am I reading BS or is it possible to redeem points from a point code generator? :|

Luigiv

markot said:
How is that different from any other service? Restaurants will ban you too if you eat and run, Taxi drivers will kick you out of there cabs if you act like a dick. The list goes on.

Moaradin

I was banned a couple days ago and all I do is play SSF4:AE on PC. Have no idea what I did or when I did it, but don't really care.

ultron87

Luigiv said:
How is that different from any other service? Restaurants will ban you too if you eat and run, Taxi drivers will kick you out of there cabs if you act like a dick. The list goes on.

Restaurants won't reclaim all the food you've ever eaten at that restaurant before they kick you out.

If you fuck up on Steam or Xbox Live you lose access to everything you've ever bought from them. Not that remaining within the rules is that difficult. But it is still slightly concerning.

Sydle

ultron87 said:
Restaurants won't reclaim all the food you've ever eaten at that restaurant before they kick you out.

If you fuck up on Steam or Xbox Live you lose access to everything you've ever bought from them. Not that remaining within the rules is that difficult. But it is still slightly concerning.

It's not difficult at all. You have to put forth effort to break the rules.

markot

Banned
ultron87 said:

This, and they do make mistakes, someone on ausgaf had to go ages without his steam account cause of an accident a bank made.

Persona7

Banned
LQX said:
Hope this has nothing to do with Fable 2 accidentally being free..
They made the entire game free? I remember they were doing a thing where they gave you the first part of the game for free broken up into chapters.

coopolon

Moaradin said:
I was banned a couple days ago and all I do is play SSF4:AE on PC. Have no idea what I did or when I did it, but don't really care.

That means you can't play SSF4:AE anymore though right? At first I figured I couldn't care less, but then I realized all my gfwl games are tied to my account and I actually like a few of them like Batman AA and DoW2.

Persona7 said:
They made the entire game free? I remember they were doing a thing where they gave you the first part of the game for free broken up into chapters.

At some point they meant to make the first chapter free but instead made the entire game free for part of a day.

Just noticed the date of the thread on Xbox.com, 8/23. So, you should be good if haven't already been banned... at least that's what I'm hoping :p

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Persona7 said:

Yea, but when they first set it up they accidentally the whole thing, so to speak.

Pretty sure this is referring to profile hacking - you can download hacked XBL profiles from the right places and log them in on the second controller to gain access to DLC content through your primary account signed in on the first controller.

Moaradin

coopolon said:
That means you can't play SSF4:AE anymore though right? At first I figured I couldn't care less, but then I realized all my gfwl games are tied to my account and I actually like a few of them like Batman AA and DoW2.

Well once your account gets banned, the keys associated with it can be used again, so I was able to just make another account.

Eusis

Charron said:
Yea, but when they first set it up they accidentally the whole thing, so to speak.
Actually, no. They had it up for quite awhile, then somehow screwed up and gave the whole game for free in place that first episode. Maybe it had to do with putting the full game up on Games on Demand, or possibly readjusting the episodic version to not be a complete scam compared to the full version. They advertised it (unwittingly) so I doubt it'd qualify unless they wanted to risk the mother of backlashes.

Edit: And yeah, I know it doesn't affect the Fable II messup since I bought Fable III AFTER that thread started.

Momo

Banned
Moaradin said:
Judging by your avatar, you shot first.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Eusis said:
Actually, no. They had it up for quite awhile, then somehow screwed up and gave the whole game for free in place that first episode. Maybe it had to do with putting the full game up on Games on Demand, or possibly readjusting the episodic version to not be a complete scam compared to the full version. They advertised it (unwittingly) so I doubt it'd qualify unless they wanted to risk the mother of backlashes.

Edit: And yeah, I know it doesn't affect the Fable II messup since I bought Fable III AFTER that thread started.

Ah, I hadn't heard about the episodes or anything along those lines until when the whole game went free on accident. Assumed they were the same incident.

it's probably the whole "NOJTAG" thing. (sharing xbl accounts who DLed GoD/DLC/XBLA)
I read it stopper working a few weeks ago and that ppl got banned for using this too.

Arjen

I grabbed al the ME2 pre order stuff for free at the time. If that's going to bite me in the ass..

ultron87

Suzzopher said:
Let's hope the £1 a month mix up doesn't result in me being banned.

I really don't think they can ban you for going through official Microsoft websites or other promotions.

I don't think their TOS has something in there that is like "If you find some promotion on our website that seems like it might be broken don't exploit it."

I imagine it takes much more directly malicious actions to get their notice.

Anteater

I hope my friend don't remember it was me that linked him to the downloading fable 2 for free thread if he gets banned.

I didn't download it myself :lol

Danielsan

If they are going to ban people for theirg own fuck ups then that's pretty bad. I'm not sure how else you could "steal" from Xbox Live.

Horns

I was interested in reading the xbox.com forums to see what kind of posts people were making about why they got banned, but the forums haven't been working properly for me in months.

coopolon

Moaradin said:
Well once your account gets banned, the keys associated with it can be used again, so I was able to just make another account.

Oh, well then I wouldn't really care. Except I do still have space bucks tied to my account, I should really get around to spending them.

abq

Hitoribhoshi said:
it's probably the whole "NOJTAG" thing. (sharing xbl accounts who DLed GoD/DLC/XBLA)
I read it stopper working a few weeks ago and that ppl got banned for using this too.
I thought you had to be logged in to play games you bought on another system. How can this be abused? Am I allowed to buy something on one system, log in on another system and be able to play the same game on both simultaneously?

abq said:
I thought you had to be logged in to play games you bought on another system. How can this be abused? Am I allowed to buy something on one system, log in on another system and be able to play the same game on both simultaneously?

I'm not sure how that NOJTAG thing worked to me honest.

on an other note, I used to have a fat jasper, sold it to a friend, I didn't buy a 360 for a few month so he kept my xbl content on the hard drive and could play with it with his account, and so could I with my profile on a usb key.

last month I bought a jp slim system, licence transfered my xbl content, my old console isn't regiterd under my name anymore, but turns out I can play my content on- and offline on my system, but so can my friend with the xbl content still on my previous system HDD o_O

I hope neither of us will get banned since this seems to be some issue on microsoft part and we didn't do anything wrong, at least no on purpose :(
(I guess my old content still on my friend HDD is signed with the console ID so it runs, but wouldn't if deleted and re-downloaded)

ultron87

malfcn said:
on that note, Warhammer premium theme is free. ;)
ackbar.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Remember when Mass Effect 2 first came out for the 360 and there were some DLC that was leaked by accident so a bunch of people got the DLC for free, does this count?

neojubei said:
Remember when Mass Effect 2 first came out for the 360 and there were some DLC that was leaked by accident so a bunch of people got the DLC for free, does this count?
Nobody seems to have any idea what counts and what doesn't. It's all guesswork at this point.

Top Bottom