• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boss |OT| Kelsey Grammer being a badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
boss_4.jpg

Series Synopsis
Mayor Tom Kane (Kelsey Grammer) sits like a spider at the center of Chicago’s web of power; a web built on a covenant with the people. They want to be led, they want disputes settled, jobs dispensed, and loyalties rewarded. If he achieves through deception and troubling morality, so be it. As long as he gets the job done, they look the other way.

Yet despite being the most effective mayor in recent history, a degenerative brain disorder is ripping everything away from him. He can’t trust his memory, his closest allies, or even himself.

Kane’s wife Meredith (Connie Nielsen) knows nothing. Theirs is a marriage of convenience. Kitty O’Neil (Kathleen Robertson), Kane’s advisor, has her suspicions but stays silent. And Kane’s political advisor Ezra Stone (Martin Donovan), a Yale graduate with a rough edge, remains questionless.

Only Emma (Hannah Ware), Kane’s estranged daughter, has a chance of learning his secret. This is going to be the toughest term yet for the Boss.

Starring: Kelsey Grammer, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Hannah Ware, Jeff Hephner, Martin Donovan, Francis Guinan, Rotimi Akinosho, Troy Garity

Anyone else plan on checking this out?

my mom is one of the editors on this show.

had the chance to watch early cuts of the first few eps and I'm a fan.

Gus Van Sant and Mario Van Peebles are two of the directors of some of the episodes. It's created by this dude who wrote Apocalypto and was Mel Gibson's understudy when movies like Braveheart were being made.

polyh3dron said:
my mom is one of the editors on this show.

had the chance to watch early cuts of the first few eps and I'm a fan.

Gus Van Sant and Mario Van Peebles are two of the directors of some of the episodes. It's created by this dude who wrote Apocalypto and was Mel Gibson's understudy when movies like Braveheart were being made.

everything about that sounds baller. Will tune in (also Kelsey Grammer rules)

It's just the frown lines because he's grimacing that and...he IS old.

Don't wiki him man...you'll be depressed. Dude's had a fucked up life.

JGS

Banned
Sounds like Nucky except for the brain disaorder and the current timeframe.

I'm a Kelsey Grammer fan acting wise, si will check out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
brucewaynegretzky said:
Did you watch Torchwood? I'm guessing not.

Ah, no. Forgot about that one.

And looking at Wikipedia, it seems like I missed Gravity, Crash, and several of their comedies. :/ Oops.

Kelsey Grammar is an awesome actor. The screwed up thing is that he has had one of the most tragic lives of anyone I've heard of.

The plot of this show actually sounds pretty great though.

Meier

cartoon_soldier said:
Seems oddly familiar to The Chicago Code

fml
:(

I think I read elsewhere that Starz shows are like 3 months behind on Netflix so I won't be seeing this any time soon... if at all I guess. Might not be worth even starting it given the cut-off date.

I hope it's just a normal drama, and not infused with Grammer's politics like much of the stuff he's been involved with lately.

Clevinger

acheron_xl said:
I hope it's just a normal drama, and not infused with Grammer's politics like much of the stuff he's been involved with lately.

Grammer's an Executive Producer, so I imagine it will be infused, unfortunately.

acheron_xl said:
What part of the plot, the protagonist being the Mayor, would make you think politics won't be involved in some way along the line?

I'm still bitter about Party Down though, fuck Starz.

I should be doing hw said:
What part of the plot, the protagonist being the Mayor, would make you think politics won't be involved in some way along the line?

I'm still bitter about Party Down though, fuck Starz.

I think it's possible to do an agenda-free drama about the Chicago machine. Their corruption is historic and indisputable.

Grammer has a specific conservative worldview he's been fond of promoting. I fear that by doing a show about politics, he's going to make advancing his views a bigger priority than telling a good story, when there's a good story that could be told.

Clevinger

I should be doing hw said:

Politics is to be expected. He just doesn't want it to be a cringe-inducing mouthpiece for the right, is my guess.

JGS

Banned
acheron_xl said:
I think it's possible to do an agenda-free drama about the Chicago machine. Their corruption is historic and indisputable.

Grammer has a specific conservative worldview he's been fond of promoting. I fear that by doing a show about politics, he's going to make advancing his views a bigger priority than telling a good story, when there's a good story that could be told.
The only reason I knew Grammer was a conservative was because he said so. Frasier did not convey a political angle at all although it did have a class one.

Grammer's productions are also neutral to left leaning as most of TV (He puts out some of the better black TV shows I think). As a conservative, he knows the point is to make money.

kottila

JGS said:
The only reason I knew Grammer was a conservative was because he said so. Frasier did not convey a political angle at all although it did have a class one.

Grammer's productions are also neutral to left leaning as most of TV (He puts out some of the better black TV shows I think). As a conservative, he knows the point is to make money.

I guess you didn't see An american carol then

JGS

Banned
kottila said:
I guess you didn't see An american carol then
No, I heard it sucked, but I also heard it was a parody. Being against Michael Moore is not the sign of a hardcore liberal anyway. Michael Moore is weird & exposes nothing & manipulates much. I was always under the impression that was what the film was parodying

In any event, I don't believe in condemning a person's body of work as an actor, producer, & director for one (or more) performances. That's like saying that all of Zucker's stuff is conservative themed/worthless just because he made the movie.

One film does not invalidate an overall neutral agenda in entertainment. He can be as conservative as he wants in real life. What do I care? It would be crazy for Grammer to play anything but a corrupt Democratic mayor in Chicago.

Philia

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Kelsey Grammar is an awesome actor. The screwed up thing is that he has had one of the most tragic lives of anyone I've heard of.

Holy crap you weren't kidding. I just got done browsing through IMDB and man... that's just messed up.

JGS said:

Frasier predates all the shit he's been up to lately. Like trying to launch a conservative network.

It's entirely possible that it's totally agenda-agnostic. But I have to say, at first glance, someone like him portraying some of the worst stereotypes of his ideological opposition makes my eyebrows raise at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom