• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should you split a speeding ticket if you're a carpooling passenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Suppose you're on a road trip with a couple of friends. The driver gets pulled over for a speeding ticket. Do the passengers offer to chip in? Should they?

So as long as I didn't tell the driver to speed, I shouldn't have to chip in. I was surprised to hear that many people think you should chip in for the ticket.

"if it's a situation where he was nice enough to offer everyone a ride on a long trip, fuel up and put mileage on HIS car, and now is taking points on HIS license, etc., the least everyone in the car can do is chip in a few bucks for the ticket."

I always chip in on gas and will pay for the driver's meals if it's his car but I'm not chipping in for a ticket. I didn't tell or coerce him to speed.

Xeke

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Suppose you're on a road trip with a couple of friends. The driver gets pulled over for a speeding ticket. Do the passengers offer to chip in? Should they?

So as long as I didn't tell the driver to speed, I shouldn't have to chip in. I was surprised to hear that many people think you should chip in for the ticket.

"if it's a situation where he was nice enough to offer everyone a ride on a long trip, fuel up and put mileage on HIS car, and now is taking points on HIS license, etc., the least everyone in the car can do is chip in a few bucks for the ticket."

I always chip in on gas and will pay for the driver's meals if it's his car but I'm not chipping in for a ticket. I didn't tell or coerce him to speed.

Did you tell him to slow down?

Lerozz

They can if they really want to. But why should they have to ? The driver is the guy who got the ticket. His fault.

You aren't in the wrong for not paying for the drivers ticket. You can't control what his foot is doing.

If you're paying for gas and whatnot, then I think you're fine, but I would never feel obligated to pay for someone else mistake, or them for mine if it was me who was caught speeding.

aparisi2274

Bboy AJ said:

No. Why in the hell would you pay a part of a ticket that you had no control over your friend getting. He was the one who was speeding, not you. It's not like you forced his foot down on the gas pedal.

NO! NO! NO!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Did all of the carpoolers have their feet on the pedal? No? Then they shouldn't be paying.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1. If you were uncomfortable with the speeding and said nothing, no.
2. I you encouraged, implicitly or tacitly, the speeding, and benifited from it, then yes.
3. If you weren't paying attention and feel bad for the driver, then it's up to you.

TheYanger

Xeke said:
Did you tell him to slow down?

This. If you're concerned about someone speeding, speak up. I mean it's not like you OWE him for the ticket, but it's a dick move to somehow be completely complicit and then go "OH DAWG YOU SHOULDN'T DUN BEEN SPEEDIN!"

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
TheYanger said:
This. If you're concerned about someone speeding, speak up. I mean it's not like you OWE him for the ticket, but it's a dick move to somehow be completely complicit and then go "OH DAWG YOU SHOULDN'T DUN BEEN SPEEDIN!"
No way. He can drive however he wants to drive. I think it's more annoying to tell the driver how to drive. It's not like speed limits change because I told him to slow down.

Yep, it's true. When you get in someone's car you're automatically 50% responsible for everything they decide to do. So if they drive like idiots and run over a pedestrian, you should serve half their jail time.

Weenerz

Banned
No, they weren't all driving, the driver got the ticket, he pays for the ticket. What kind of pussy ass logic are you working with?

Arjen

No way, it's the drivers fault, so he's paying the ticket.
Unles i'm telling him to speed because i have to go to the hospital because i'm pregnant.
But i'm not a woman, so i'm sticking with no.

This actually happened to me, 7 of us on a trip.

Most of us were sleeping, got pulled over doing 100+, cop actually made us follow him to the station.

First thought ticket will be like 250$, decided to chip in.

Friend called from inside, said ticket is 1800$. Well, fuck that chip in part.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Sharp said:
Makes sense. Don't act like you don't know when someone driving you is parking in an illegal space.
I highly disagree with being obligated to split a parking ticket. However, it is completely circumstantial, and so would the speeding ticket.

But under normal circumstances, the driver is the one operating the vehicle, and is solely responsible for their behavior while doing so unless under the direct influence of the passenger.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Spider from Mars said:
When I DD for friends and the street spots on campus don't allow parking between 2 and 6 am, you best believe they are chipping in if we get a ticket.
That would be a circumstance where I would indeed ask them for money.

Xeke

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
No way. He can drive however he wants to drive. I think it's more annoying to tell the driver how to drive. It's not like speed limits change because I told him to slow down.

So you're okay with benefiting from getting to where you are going faster but as soon as you get busted for it you're out...

TheYanger

I should amend, there's nothing saying you SHOULD pay it, nor should the driver have any leniency to get upset at passengers for not offering to split. That being said, NOT doing it makes you a gigantic asshole.

Bboy AJ said:
You think it's annoying to tell someone how to drive, that means you're completely ok with whatever driving they are doing. If they run someone over and you could have told them to slow down, I think you'd feel some remorse, why would it be any different just because they didn't? Hazardous driving is a terrible thing, and mob mentality enters into play even with small groups of friends. If your friend gets mad at you asking him not to break the law, I would question your fucking friendship personally.

Sharp

Xeke said:
So you're okay with benefiting from getting to where you are going faster but as soon as you get busted for it you're out...
Xeke, has this happened to you before? Is that why you're so passionate about this?

SmithnCo

Nah, ultimately it's the driver's responsibility. If passengers tell the driver to speed it's still up to the driver's discretion.

Bboy AJ

TheYanger said:
You think it's annoying to tell someone how to drive, that means you're completely ok with whatever driving they are doing. If they run someone over and you could have told them to slow down, I think you'd feel some remorse, why would it be any different just because they didn't? Hazardous driving is a terrible thing, and mob mentality enters into play even with small groups of friends. If your friend gets mad at you asking him not to break the law, I would question your fucking friendship personally.
We're talking about speeding, not stabbing someone in the face.

9915157.jpg

If you didn't bitchslap the driver because he was speeding, then you're implicitly ok with that and as a result, you should pay.

Fugu

This is a bit of a conundrum, because telling people how to drive almost always goes badly. It also depends on how much you obliged the driver to speed (even if you didn't directly tell them to do so). Is (s)he speeding because you needed to get somewhere in a hurry and they were doing you a favor? Passengers need to take at least some responsibility for encouraging the behavior of the driver; completely ignoring the potential for negative influence on people by other people isn't accomplishing anything.

TheYanger

Bboy AJ said:
We're talking about speeding, not stabbing someone in the face.

And we're talking about a friendly request, not a fistfight or argument. If you ask and they refuse, that's something else (I'd still question the friendship at that point. I mean maybe I'm the weird one but none of my friends would take it personally if I requested something that mundane). If you're not comfortable with what's happening, take control of the situation, exert a little and make your discomfort known. It doesn't have to be a dickish thing. I speed all the time, my friends do too. None of us do it excessively, and I've let my friends know when I thought they were driving like shit and should be more careful. I don't understand what is so wrong about talking about things that very well could affect your ability to continue living. Guess I'm a pussy.

Conversely, if you say nothing, and you guys get pulled over, it's a bro thing of you to do to help pay for the ticket, because he's your friend and he's sticking out for you just driving your ass around (and you could have easily asked him not to speed and he would have slowed down).

EDIT: Also, nobody is talking about literal backseat driving. Of course it's annoying, but you should ALWAYS speak up when you don't like what is going on around you.

If you didn't bitchslap the driver because he was speeding, then you're implicitly ok with that and as a result, you should pay.
When I'm a passenger, I generally don't babysit the driver's speedometer. I generally only ride with people I accept are competent drivers.

Karsticles said:
When I'm a passenger, I generally don't babysit the driver's speedometer. I generally only ride with people I accept are competent drivers.
Competent drivers shouldn't incur in traffic infractions in the first place, so you would never be in the situation OP depicts.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
From a non-personal perspective, it might be a good idea to give a ticket to an adult that's awake to promote passenger speeding enforcement.

From a personal perspective, the driver is taking the risk.

Now if I'm driving his car and it's a photo ticket through the mail, obviously I pay even tho it's mailed to them.

Bboy AJ

TheYanger said:
And we're talking about a friendly request, not a fistfight or argument. If you ask and they refuse, that's something else (I'd still question the friendship at that point. I mean maybe I'm the weird one but none of my friends would take it personally if I requested something that mundane). If you're not comfortable with what's happening, take control of the situation, exert a little and make your discomfort known. It doesn't have to be a dickish thing. I speed all the time, my friends do too. None of us do it excessively, and I've let my friends know when I thought they were driving like shit and should be more careful. I don't understand what is so wrong about talking about things that very well could affect your ability to continue living. Guess I'm a pussy.

Conversely, if you say nothing, and you guys get pulled over, it's a bro thing of you to do to help pay for the ticket, because he's your friend and he's sticking out for you just driving your ass around (and you could have easily asked him not to speed and he would have slowed down).

EDIT: Also, nobody is talking about literal backseat driving. Of course it's annoying, but you should ALWAYS speak up when you don't like what is going on around you.
Going 10 MPH over the speed limit is not something worth bringing up. The driver knows he could be pulled over for it but it's bad luck getting pulled over rather than bad decision making. If he's doing 30+ over, that's a different story. But 10 over is not even worth mentioning, IMO.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
No, what in the bloody hell? Where do you people come up with this sort of rationale?
Never heard of it. Considering he was the committing a criminal offense, he should be the one paying his dues to society.

Derp Logic: If you were out with your friends at a restaurant, and one of them up and decides to murder the server, shouldn't you be incarcerated too? It's only fair right? I mean you he was so nice to have invited you to his little gathering.

LuchaShaq

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Competent drivers shouldn't incur in traffic infractions in the first place, so you would never be in the situation OP depicts.

Speed limits set 30+ years ago have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.

There are some people that I feel uncomfortable driving near when they are near the speed limit, there are others I have no problem with when they are going 20 + over the limit.

TheYanger

Bboy AJ said:
Going 10 MPH over the speed limit is not something worth bringing up. The driver knows he could be pulled over for it but it's bad luck getting pulled over rather than bad decision making. If he's doing 30+ over, that's a different story. But 10 over is not even worth mentioning, IMO.

Going 10 over is not going to get you a ticket 99.99% of the time either.

GorillaJu

Most people drive over the speed limit, especially on long drives. Its really luck of the draw who gets pulled over and who doesn't, especially in states where they'll give you a ticket for going 5 over.

If my friend was driving wrecklessly or hitting 95+ he wouldn't really get much sympathy from me, but if he's going with the flow o traffic at 80ish I'd definitely chip in. Thats just bad luck and would suck shit for the driver to have to foot the whole thing.

Nix

Banned
Hell no. I look at him, I look at the officer, say good-day, and then proceed to turn my head to the right ever so slightly. When the officer asks for my name, I ask why he wants to know, resumes eye-contact, wait until he gets uncomfortable and turns his eyes away, get out the car, and start to walk away.

Now, this has only happend once, and this is because I don't carpool. I have a cycle. =/

Although I have an innate disgust when people try to tell me what to do, so I've never been good with authority figures. So no, I wouldn't chip in for the ticket, because I would be fucking gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom