• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top-selling Nintendo Platform Software (U.S.)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Update: Public spreadsheets with data. Thanks Road for finding some old lists on the web.

2011:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdEZfdURDYkg3ZGN2R01IcW4tWHBhU0E&hl=en_US

2012:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdF9VTmpSTUFSektUaG5jS1Yzc3lmN3c

Short version: Nintendo posting top 10 sales rankings on their site. Skip down for latest lists.

Longer version: Bear with me for a moment...

So I made it from this thread about That Banned Site to their forums to a post entitled "Nintendo's Website has Top Games by Month / Over the Past 12-Months for Wii, DS, 3DS" by TheSource, whom I've seen posting a lot in their forums before on sales-related stuff. I shan't link to the post, since that's verboten, but savvy internet users will check if they wish.

In the post, TheSource points out that Nintendo is posting top 10 lists for their platforms in a sidebar at this URL:

http://www.nintendo.com/games

Who knows how long it will last, but it's interesting because it's per-month (for the current month's NPD data) and TTM (again, up to the current data).

Given NPD's current data releases, this is actually something. Maybe it's Europe-level data (i.e. just rankings) but it's far more than we get from Sony or Microsoft at this point. :(

Regardless of the provenance, I thought it would be worth sharing. If it keeps getting updated, this thread should get bumped as it's updated (by me, or someone else, hopefully), if only to archive the data that's posted.

Here are the lists currently up there:

Top 10 Wii Games
August 2011

1. Just Dance Summer Party
  2. Just Dance 2
  3. Mario Super Sluggers
  4. Zumba Fitness
  5. Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension
  6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  8. Mario Kart Wii
  9. The Smurfs Dance Party
  10. Cars 2: The Video Game

Top 10 3DS Games
August 2011

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  2. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  3. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION
  4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
  5. PAC-MAN & Galaga Dimensions
  6. DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions
  7. Asphalt 3D
  8. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  9. nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  10. Rabbids Travel in Time

Top 10 Nintendo DS Games
August 2011

1. New Super Mario Bros.
  2. Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension
  3. Pokémon White Version
  4. Cars 2: The Video Game
  5. The Smurfs
  6. Pokémon Black Version
  7. Mario Kart DS
  8. Plants vs Zombies
  9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem!
  10. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game

Top 10 Wii Games
TTM August 2011

1. Just Dance 2
  2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  3. Michael Jackson The Experience
  4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  5. Disney Epic Mickey
  6. Zumba Fitness
  7. Wii Fit Plus Bundle
  8. Mario Kart Wii
  9. Just Dance
  10. uDraw Studio

Top 10 3DS Games
TTM August 2011†

2. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION
  3. Pilotwings Resort
  4. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  5. RAYMAN 3D
  6. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  7. nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  8. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
  9. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
  10. Super Monkey Ball 3D
† Since March 2011.

Top 10 Nintendo DS Games
TTM August 2011

1. Pokémon White Version
  2. New Super Mario Bros.
  3. Pokémon Black Version
  4. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem!
  5. Mario Kart DS
  6. Super Scribblenauts
  7. Pokémon SoulSilver Version
  8. Sonic Colors
  9. Super Mario 64 DS
  10. Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs

krae_man

I had to look it up so I'll just post this:

TTM=Trailing 12 months

So "TTM August 2011" would be sales from Sept 1 2010 - Aug 31 2011...I think.

Road

Donny noted this in one of the NPD threads months ago.

I don't know if he's keeping record of it, though.

TheMan

I'll probably be getting a Wii within the next few weeks. From the looks of it, there should be plenty of games on system that my 3 year old daughter can enjoy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Road said:
Donny noted this in one of the NPD threads months ago.

I don't know if he's keeping record of it, though.
Sneaky guy, that donny2112. I'll have to ask him if he's hoarding data!

Edit: Also, I need to bug him to update the prediction results!

krae_man said:
I had to look it up so I'll just post this:

TTM=Trailing 12 months

So "TTM August 2011" would be sales from Sept 1 2010 - Aug 31 2011...I think.
Watch everyone's shocked expressions when we find out Epic Mickey is nearly at 3 million or some crazy ass number.
Erethian said:
Seems that way.

Also nice to see Shadow Wars represented.
Hopefully we'll get more stuff like Revelations as a reward.

Alts

Should be easy enough to pull these values programmatically. I may throw something together really quick to do just that.

Kazerei

Banned
Twilight Princess really got some new life after the price drop. I really hope Nintendo adds more titles to the Nintendo Selects lineup.

fernoca

Darn, The Mercenaries 3D been the second top seller on the 3DS was quite surprising; though it was on sale in a few places during August.

Though, with NSMB been higher on the TTM list, does that mean that NSMB sold more this year than Pokemon Black; which did over 1 million? :O!

AniHawk

ZAK said:
SM64DS lolwut?
it's been a decent seller every month for almost seven years. it's between 3-4m in the states alone at this point. probably closer to the latter than the former.

donny2112

jvm said:
Sneaky guy, that donny2112. I'll have to ask him if he's hoarding data!

Edit: Also, I need to bug him to update the prediction results!

Consider me prodded. :p

Nintendo added some of the Top 10s in their monthly newsletters, and those were posted in the respective NPD threads, usually at the very end. There were only a couple like that, though. The more interesting rankings to me were the downloaded rankings. It was based off of Club Nintendo registrations during the month. At least somewhat actual downloadable data. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
Nintendo added some of the Top 10s in their monthly newsletters, and those were posted in the respective NPD threads, usually at the very end. There were only a couple like that, though. The more interesting rankings to me were the downloaded rankings. It was based off of Club Nintendo registrations during the month. At least somewhat actual downloadable data. :)
Ah, yes, you and I and maybe one other person posted those as they came in the emails.

Had you seen these particular charts on the nintendo.com website before, for the current month or earlier?

So is there some way with information we get from NPD and Nintendo to make out a quasi-accurate range for the annual sales? I guess I'm asking if anyone has kept track of NPD and Nintendo sales reports and could easily. If not it sounds like a fun project for when I have nothing to do tomorrow.

Interesting that Zelda is at the top of the 3DS already. Kind of makes the upper limit of that one easy.

donny2112

jvm said:
Had you seen these particular charts on the nintendo.com website before, for the current month or earlier?

Nope, hadn't searched Nintendo's site for them. Just saw what was in the emails. Maybe Google/Bing/Yahoo cache would have the previous entry?

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Interesting that Zelda is at the top of the 3DS already. Kind of makes the upper limit of that one easy.

It sold to ~1/3 of 3DS LTD customers in June, and then it sold to ~1/3 of new 3DS buyers in August. Probably safe to guess ~1/3 of new 3DS buyers in July, too, to get an approximate LTD number.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
Maybe Google/Bing/Yahoo cache would have the previous entry?

Google cache had the previous entry. :)

Wii

1. Just Dance 2
2. Zumba Fitness
3. Mario Super Sluggers
4. Just Dance Summer Party
5. Cars 2: The Video Game
6. Mario Kart Wii
7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9. Michael Jackson The Experience

3DS

3. Transformers: Dark of the Moon Stealth Force Edition
4. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION
5. Pilotwings Resort
6. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
7. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
8. nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
9. RAYMAN 3D
10. Asphalt 3D

NDS

1. Cars 2: The Video Game
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Pokémon White Version
4. Pokémon Black Version
5. Mario Kart DS
6. Plants vs Zombies
7. Transformers: Dark of the Moon Autobots
10. LEGO Star Wars III: The Battle For Bricks Just Got Bigger!

donny2112

jvm said:
Hrm. Not coming up for me... I'm getting the current version. Maybe I don't have Google-fu. :(

The cached version is now showing August's stuff for me, too. The update time is about 40 minutes before I checked out the web page, so maybe I caught it just before they updated the cache page.

Morokh

jvm said:
Top 10 Nintendo DS Games
August 2011

1. New Super Mario Bros.
  2. Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension
  3. Pokémon White Version
  4. Cars 2: The Video Game
  5. The Smurfs
  6. Pokémon Black Version
  7. Mario Kart DS
  8. Plants vs Zombies

† Since March 2011.

That's interesting xD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Google cache had the previous entry. :)

Wii

1. Just Dance 2
2. Zumba Fitness
3. Mario Super Sluggers
4. Just Dance Summer Party
5. Cars 2: The Video Game
6. Mario Kart Wii
7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9. Michael Jackson The Experience

3DS

3. Transformers: Dark of the Moon Stealth Force Edition
4. SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION
5. Pilotwings Resort
6. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
7. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
8. nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
9. RAYMAN 3D
10. Asphalt 3D

NDS

1. Cars 2: The Video Game
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Pokémon White Version
4. Pokémon Black Version
5. Mario Kart DS
6. Plants vs Zombies
7. Transformers: Dark of the Moon Autobots
10. LEGO Star Wars III: The Battle For Bricks Just Got Bigger!

I sought out confirmation from someone with NPD data to find out if this is the accurate NPD ranking for July 2011, and it is. So I'm assuming the stuff in the OP is the accurate NPD rankings for all three platforms for August 2011.

Indyana

Stumpokapow said:
I sought out confirmation from someone with NPD data to find out if this is the accurate NPD ranking for July 2011, and it is. So I'm assuming the stuff in the OP is the accurate NPD rankings for all three platforms for August 2011.
Thank you.

TheNatural

My Member!
Stumpokapow said:

Nice, nice to see a hardware maker stepping up with numbers of any kind.

Do you know if it's sorted by revenue or by unit sales?

Also, the new Nintendo Selects games, the three Mario ones and Punch-Out should fill the charts for September, as they dropped the price August 28th.

Cipherr

Morokh said:
That's interesting xD

I actually found that plants vs zombies game in my steam library the other day. No fucking idea when I bought it, I tried it and its actually kinda fun.

jvm said:
*bump*

September data is now out.

I put all the data we could find into a Google spreadsheet. Someone check to make sure you can read it, but not edit it. Thanks. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdEZfdURDYkg3ZGN2R01IcW4tWHBhU0E&hl=en_US

Seems fine, I can read but not edit

fernoca

Interesting, looking at the "year to date 3DS chart"...

Zelda was obviously at #1, up to August with over 400k; but aside that we didn't knew much about the rest.

But for September's YTD...
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Over 500,000
  2. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  3. Pilotwings Resort
  4. Star Fox 64 3D: Around 130,000
  5. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  6. Rayman 3D
  7. Nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  8. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  9. Super Monkey Ball 3D
...Star Fox 64 debuted on the "year to date" quite high; but we know it did around 130k number that has been posted. So that puts SSFIV and Pilotwings at anything between 400k-140k; and everything below SF64-3D is at under 130k.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Kazerei said:
According to archive.org,
I'm lazy (and tired... those NPD articles don't write themselves). Could you provide a direct link for me, so we can all double check?

some random tidbit. We got data for Epic Mickey, and it had sold 200k-300k for this year (lazy to check it up). we got the data for all million sellers in fact, may be used to estimate the other title sales; Wii software isn't really good for the top sellers, I believe.

TheNatural

My Member!
fernoca said:
Interesting, looking at the "year to date 3DS chart"...

Zelda was obviously at #1, up to August with over 400k; but aside that we didn't knew much about the rest.

But for September's YTD...
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Over 500,000
  2. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  3. Pilotwings Resort
  4. Star Fox 64 3D: Around 130,000
  5. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  6. Rayman 3D
  7. Nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  8. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  9. Super Monkey Ball 3D
...Star Fox 64 debuted on the "year to date" quite high; but we know it did around 130k number that has been posted. So that puts SSFIV and Pilotwings at anything between 400k-140k; and everything below SF64-3D is at under 130k.

Sheesh, all it took was one month for Starfox to get up to 4th with kinda meh debut sales? 3DS game sales outside of Zelda must have been pretty damn bad up until this point, can't blame people with the lineup though.

fernoca

TheNatural said:
Sheesh, all it took was one month for Starfox to get up to 4th with kinda meh debut sales? 3DS game sales outside of Zelda must have been pretty damn bad up until this point, can't blame people with the lineup though.
Keep in mind that there are around 1.5 million" 3DS in the US. So Zelda sold nearly to 50% of the userbase and Star Fox did 10%.

To put int into some, lame perspective.. :p
With over 50 million PS2s in the US, GTAIII one of the best selling PS2 games in the US "only sold" 7 million; which is around 10% of the userbase. Yet, noone considered those sales as low, or disappointing.

The most Star Fox 64 could've done is sell 500,000 in one month, which was nealy impossible considering that the series has never been as big as Zelda. So it was expected to debut at anything under 200k. :p

Top Bottom