• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Up All Night" A new sitcom on NBC, Wednesdays @ 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I would start one...

up-all-night-nbc-tv-show.jpg

Synopsis:

Christina Applegate ("Samantha Who?") stars as Reagan Brinkley: loving wife, successful career woman, life of the party and, most recently, mom. Determined not to compromise her career or cool reputation to the cliches of motherhood, Reagan adjusts to life with a baby and returns to work with the support of her stay-at-home husband, Chris (Will Arnett, "Arrested Development"). As Reagan and Chris figure out their new life, self-doubt, sleep deprivation and the pressure of today's parenting protocols rattle their confidence. What's more, the endless needs of Reagan's boss, ambitious but vulnerable talk-show host Ava (Maya Rudolph, "Saturday Night Live," "Bridesmaids"), threaten to throw Reagan off balance.

Cast:

6148646961_f09c1e2ac6_o.png

Episode 1.1: Pilot
Original Air Date: September 14th @ 10:00pm

I know it's not the best OT, but it's something. So, anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was pretty funny, and has a chance to be a very funny show, so long as NBC doesn't cancel it after 4 episodes.

sixclaws

Banned
I watched it and found it enjoyable. I liked how they went quickly through the back story during the intro. I'll keep watching it to support Will Arnnet.

I have a theory (sadly) percolating about Will Arnett and tv shows. We'll see if my pondering and suspicions are well founded.

Hint: He should hang out with Summer Glau.

3N16MA

Banned
KibblesBits said:
I have a theory (sadly) percolating about Will Arnett and tv shows. We'll see if my pondering and suspicions are well founded.

Jerry O'Connell.

aparisi2274 said:
Episode 1.1: Pilot
Original Air Date: September 14th @ 10:00pm

next week it goes to 8pm

Well thats just confusing.

Reminds me Ive yet to watch the last 3-4 episodes of Running Wilde. Apparently the finale was an arrested development reunion.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, a new shitty Will Arnett show! Will it last more than 1 season? Doubt it!

Neuromancer said:
Me too. =(

Another Arnett sitcom, my guess is it'll tank hard. Also I don't care for Maya Rudoph one bit.

I like Maya. But I'm not sure that the role will suit her. I liked her mom even more.

Eh, it was alright. Could be way better in the future. Or could suck really bad. We'll see where it goes. I'll probably watch next week though.

Quick

Banned
KibblesBits said:

or Judy Greer.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Takeda Kenshi said:
Every time this show I keep thinking of USA Up All Night.

I jacked off to it so many times I lost count. Seriously. I was like 13.

LilZippa

Much better than the promos I might watch again.

Edit:
WinoMcCougarstein said:
I jacked off to it so many times I lost count. Seriously. I was like 13.
I'm guilty of this as well god those movies were terrible. lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
WinoMcCougarstein said:
Awesome, a new shitty Will Arnett show! Will it last more than 1 season? Doubt it!
Running Wilde premiered less than a year ago, so yeah, that was a pretty damn fast turnaround to get him onto a new show. I'm guessing this one will last two seasons.

SuperPac

The wife and I watched it this evening and thought it was a pretty funny pilot. Unfortunately most of it had been spoiled by the 2 minute "preview" we'd watched before, but it was still enjoyable.

Since we're about to have a baby in November we're right in the target audience for this one.

My wife and I made it thru about 10-15 minutes before bailing. The argument about who was asleep when the other was awake went beyond lame. So there's 30 minutes I get back every week.

big ander

Pros:
-A decent amount of laughs. Swearing around the baby and body by nordic.
-Sweet. The central relationship is sold well and the show is cute without trying too hard to be cute.

Cons:
-Several stupid and tired "jokes" that always come up in this kind of show.
-Maya Rudolph's character seems like she'll be tiring as hell.
-I don't see a place for this to grow. If it stays the show it is it'll just not be unique enough to be worth watching.

Lijik

I wouldn't mind watching a show that was just Arnett and the baby.
I cannot stand Reagan and the characters associated with her.

Divius

I love, love, love Arnett..but I hated Maya Rudolph in Bridesmaids, can't stand Nick Cannon and have no opinion about Applegate.

Probably a no from me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Can't imagine Nick Cannon acting, he makes an OK host though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
show was alright. Arnett and the baby were hilarious. Arnett, Applegate and the baby were even a little funnier. Everything having to do with Applegate outside of the house was awful. Not her fault (and not even Rudolph's fault), but make work a pain in the ass without making us hate it and everyone in it by default.

Show has promise, and it's nice to see Arnett playing a different character. Here's hoping that they turn ALL of the work stuff around.

FWIW, Free Agents immediately after was much funnier overall.. A tiny bit funnier than the family segments in Up All Night with none of the annoying work stuff. Actually the work stuff in Free Agents was hilarious also.

How much garbage does Will Arnett have to be in before you guys realize he's just not funny? Sorry but outside of AD, I never found him funny,

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rorschach said:
Other way around. He's the worst host I have ever seen. Serviceable actor if you don't ask him to do much.

Well to be fair i've not seen anything he acted in.
Maybe my suspicions are wrong.

Found it to be a rather tired pilot. Nothing interesting and I don't think I even chuckled throughout the show. No chemistry between Arnett and Applegate either in my opinion.

First episodes are often crappy however, so I'll probably dip back in on Hulu down the line to see if it improves. As it stands, i won't be back next week.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Found it to be a rather tired pilot. Nothing interesting and I don't think I even chuckled throughout the show. No chemistry between Arnett and Applegate either in my opinion.

First episodes are often crappy however, so I'll probably dip back in on Hulu down the line to see if it improves. As it stands, i won't be back next week.

I've noticed in addition to the unfortunate demise of shows, he never has chemistry with his female lead... I think he would do best as a supporting actor, not a lead.

Jme

alex chilton said:
How much garbage does Will Arnett have to be in before you guys realize he's just not funny? Sorry but outside of AD, I never found him funny,

He was good in Running Wilde and Let's Go To Prison and to a lesser extent Blades of Glory.

love both applegate and arnett but the pilot did nothing for me. i don't like the premise and it wasn't even well done. still hope they have a hit and find their groove.

KibblesBits said:
I've noticed in addition to the unfortunate demise of shows, he never has chemistry with his female lead... I think he would do best as a supporting actor, not a lead.

He doesn't strike me as....straight.

Like, I don't buy that women would be into him at all and I DEFINITELY don't buy him being into ladies.

big ander

alex chilton said:
When that garbage is garbage because of Will Arnett's acting, I'll call you. He has trouble getting good scripts. That's it.
DeaconKnowledge said:
He doesn't strike me as....straight.

Like, I don't buy that women would be into him at all and I DEFINITELY don't buy him being into ladies.
He's happily married to Amy Poehler and they're a fucking awesome duo, for what it's worth.

Seth C

&Divius said:
I love, love, love Arnett..but I hated Maya Rudolph in Bridesmaids, can't stand Nick Cannon and have no opinion about Applegate.

Probably a no from me.

Well I don't like Rudolph, can't stand Cannon, don't care for Applegate in the past 10 years or so, and find Will Arnett to be obnoxious. Gave the show a chance anyway, but just thought it was tedious and boring. Is the baby going to crawl off and get in to kooky situations? Will it lead the parents through a sewer? If not, babies aren't funny and baby drama (staying up all night) is even less so. Normally you introduce a baby/small child to a sitcom when the well has run dry. This started there.

borghe said:
FWIW, Free Agents immediately after was much funnier overall.. A tiny bit funnier than the family segments in Up All Night with none of the annoying work stuff. Actually the work stuff in Free Agents was hilarious also.

Agreed. I liked Free Agents much more.

Irish

Eh, wasn't really a fan of that pilot, but man, Free Agents was hilarious (and I don't usually like that the female lead).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom