• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PETA creates "Mario Kills Tanooki" campaign/game;claims Mario say it okay to wear fur

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NEW PETA GAME LAMPOONS SKIN-STEALING MARIO
Skinned Raccoon Dog Chases Down Tanooki Mario in Super Tanooki Skin 2D

Los Angeles — If PETA has its way, Mario has stolen his last tanuki skin. The mustachioed plumber is back to wearing tanuki fur ("tanuki" is the Japanese word for raccoon dogs), and now Tanooki is fighting back to reclaim what's his in Super Tanooki Skin 2D, a new side-scrolling game from PETA. In the game, which is the center of PETA's new "Mario Kills Tanooki" campaign, players direct a bloody, skinned raccoon dog as he chases a tanuki fur–suited Mario through a surreal fur farm where raccoon dogs are routinely skinned alive for their fur. Quick reflexes and jumping skills will allow Tanooki to capture Mario and reclaim his skin.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. We created our game to help inform people that in real life, Mario would be wearing the skin of an animal who was beaten, strangled or electrocuted, and it wouldn't give him any special powers other than the power of self-deception.

On fur farms in China—the world's largest fur exporter—raccoon dogs are confined to row upon row of tiny wire cages that are exposed to the elements. Many of the animals go insane from the intensive confinement. A "Mario Kills Tanooki" video shows undercover video footage of raccoon dogs as workers drag them from cages and slam them repeatedly to the ground to kill them. Most of the animals don't die right away, and some survive for as long as 10 minutes after they are skinned. One investigator recorded a skinned raccoon dog on a heap of carcasses who had enough strength to lift his bloodied head and look, blinking, into the camera.

The game:

4R3Zg.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know I had always though PETA were reasonable bunch of people until this.

Oh, wait.

TheNatural

My Member!
PETA is so fucking retarded it's ridiculous. Are they going to show how animals don't really turn into statues too? Nintendo needs to put a C&D on their ass for using their likeness.

andymcc

Banned
PETA should do the same sort of campaign for killing dragons in Skyrim because they're about as real as Tanookis. The one Mario represents is a mythologized version, not the real fucking thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
shadyspace said:
Tanookis aren't real things. No raccoon has balls that huge.
Uh what? Yes they are.

I think people should create a game making fun of PETA.

Trying to collect as much money as possible and doing as controversial things as possible without doing a single something for a good cause.

sakipon

Animal rights are an important issue for me. That's why it always makes me sad to see PETA clinging into these petty jokes. It works against them, and ruins things for a lot of other people aswell.

Branson

Someone make me an avatar of bloody Mario please. Also, isn't skyrim like twice as worse as this? I mean, you can kill hundreds or even thousands of animals if you'd like.

Volimar

wut

PETA has gone so far down the drain in the past few years. I'm so glad I quit that group and started diverting my donations to the ASPCA.

LiK

sakipon said:
Animal rights are an important issue for me. That's why it always makes me sad to see PETA clinging into these petty jokes. It works against them, and ruins things for a lot of other people aswell.

Super Tofu Boy was a good one.

Top Bottom