• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth101

Banned
1. 3D Video, and 3D Stop Motion animation videos.

2. QR code functionality will be improved

3. Transfer game files between Nintendo 3DS systems

4. New puzzles and extra Find Mii Dungeon

5. eShop will be expanded as well,You'll soon have access to game demos(for both downloadable games and retail games)

6. You'll be able to download software while your system is in Sleep Mode

7. The eShop will also support Download Codes (which will be used primarily for special promotions) and will enable users to save payment information to their system if they so so desire

8. The update will add a new application to your system's Home Menu:"Nintendo Zone" active when you're at a Nintendo 3DS hotspot location.Provides free access to exclusive content,streaming 3D videos(such as game trailers,tv ads) trivia games, and retail promotions

For those that would like to know

Thanks Oni Link 666

Ragus

Banned
5. eShop will be expanded as well,You'll soon have access to game demos(for both downloadable games and retail games)

luke-yeah.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So 3DS to 3DS won't transfer Friends and Activity log info?
Well, expected.

Useful if they added a cart so you can queue up the downloads.

And you can save CC info. I guess it stores it on the system itself?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
And hopefully the update that brings internet downloads and a possible account system as well isn't too far off.

I remember hearing something about it. I was just hoping it would be part of this update.

I don't think it's part of the OS. I think it's an app that you download from the eShop, so it probably wouldn't be listed in details about a firmware update even if it came out on the same day.

d0c_zaius

So I don't have to worry about my system breaking and having to buy all my games again? Well thats good.

krae_man

Sweet a new find mii dungeon. I can't wait till PAX Prime 2012 when I'll finally be able to take advantage of it.

M3d10n

I'm guessing this means we'll be able to schedule downloads to be delivered via SpotPass, because you can "download software in sleep mode" already: if you close the lid while downloading, the 3DS will keep downloading and go to sleep when it finishes.

If so, this means the SpotPass system will be able to deliver user-specific data as opposed to broadcast-like data which means we might be able to read messages sent from the messaging app without having to quit the games.

I'm guessing this means we'll be able to schedule downloads to be delivered via SpotPass, because you can "download software in sleep mode" already: if you close the lid while downloading, the 3DS will keep downloading and go to sleep when it finishes.

Yeah, right. It probably means that Nintendo will send you demos if they feel like it.

hatchx

Banned

'Soon'?

So maybe by the May 2012 update (delayed to June, as per usual).

All I cared about was the ability to message a friend.

Say 'hey want to play __________'

So simple.

Rhod

They're going to let you store credit card info now? Interesting choice but I think I'll opt out.

On your system, rather than on the server. A nice compromise that keeps them clear of responsibility and still doesn't require a conventional 'account'.

So I don't have to worry about my system breaking and having to buy all my games again? Well thats good.

Not true. There still isn't an account based system that your games are linked to. This simply makes it possible to transfer games from one system to another, but obviously the system you are transferring from must be working.

So how much actually gets transferred in the system transfer? Is it just game files and maybe saves or does it send everything over like when you get a new Mac and plug into the old one and it makes it identical to the old one? (Obviously the 3DS doesn't have all that stuff, but you know what I mean...)

Truth101

Banned
So how much actually gets transferred in the system transfer? Is it just game files and maybe saves or does it send everything over like when you get a new Mac and plug into the old one and it makes it identical to the old one? (Obviously the 3DS doesn't have all that stuff, but you know what I mean...)

No one knows.

18-Volt

Wtf retail game demos on a nintendo system.......am I already dead?

DS had many of them dowloaded via Wii Nintendo Channel. This is nothing new.

First two 3DS demos are Monster Hunter 3G and New Love Plus+. Guess this is too something Japan exclusive.

Barrett2

'Soon'?

So simple.

Do you know how hard it is to program and develop a text based messaging app? That kind of thing takes months, if not years to develop. You can't expect a company as cash-strapped as Nintendo to be able to turn text messaging around in less than a year.

But seriously, this has to bode so poorly for WiiU, right? My god, almost one year after release and they don't even have MESSAGING functionality built into their console they released in 2011.

I think I've killed like two enemies' in Find Mii. No one has a 3DS around here I swear.

3D videos sounds bad ass! As well as demos.

You can hire cats with the coins you get from walking. I beat the whole thing just hiring cats every day. It took about 2 months, but I did it.

d0c_zaius

Not true. There still isn't an account based system that your games are linked to. This simply makes it possible to transfer games from one system to another, but obviously the system you are transferring from must be working.

oh I guess it was just wishful thinking :(

So 3DS to 3DS won't transfer Friends and Activity log info?
Well, expected.

Useful if they added a cart so you can queue up the downloads.

And you can save CC info. I guess it stores it on the system itself?
Yea that to. But its also useful for downloading big files like the movies or Let's Golf, which is 1500 Blocks or so.

I hope they add a download all option aswell.

And no activity log transfer? The fuck? Guess I won't ever be buying a new 3DS. Im not giving up my hours. Hopefully its just not listed.

'Soon'?

So simple.

Uhhh, soon as in WHEN DEMOS ARE PUT UP not soon as in another update...And considering demos are going up in the japanese eShop in around a week, soon shouldn't be much longer for other regions

dallow_bg

nods at old men

So simple.

No problem.
All you and your friend need to do is:

Both of you download and install the free separate app SwapNote from the Nintendo eShop!
If you're playing your game X already. QUIT the game and load up SwapNote! Don't forget to save!

Send a message to your friend who is playing game Y.

Your friend will then QUIT his game in order to read and reply to your message. You may have to wait if he needs to save his progress!

Wait for his reply in SwapNote!
Quit SwapNote and load up game Z! Your friend will do the same!

Now you're both ready to play. So simple and easy!

----

To be serious, I just plan to send random drawings to friends. Not much else.

[Nintex]

"People who send messages using the internet are pedophiles, also Square Enix RPG's fucking suck" - Hiroshi Yamauchi

Zomba13

Does the new dungeon come with new hats? I got all the hats in the first month or so of getting the 3DS.

Rhod

But seriously, this has to bode so poorly for WiiU, right? My god, almost one year after release and they don't even have MESSAGING functionality built into their console they released in 2011.

No, I wouldn't say it bodes poorly. Wii has messaging, and the problems with it were the send delay, the input message, and the having to turn on the TV and Wii to get the message.

WiiU is designed very specifically to fix the input problem and the having to turn it on issue. Provided they can get the delivery speed up to immediate, then WiiU should have a very satisfying messaging system which allows me to get/send messages to my WiiU friends even when the system is in standby and I'm watching a movie on the TV.

Alternately I could use my phone.

muu

No, I wouldn't say it bodes poorly. Wii has messaging, and the problems with it were the send delay, the input message, and the having to turn on the TV and Wii to get the message.

WiiU is designed very specifically to fix the input problem and the having to turn it on issue. Provided they can get the delivery speed up to immediate, then WiiU should have a very satisfying messaging system which allows me to get/send messages to my WiiU friends even when the system is in standby and I'm watching a movie on the TV.

Alternately I could use my phone.

Quasi-offline invites! Brilliant. MS is probably thinking of something similar w/ Windows Phone.

It would be cool if the WiiU had some type of chat function that was part of the system overlay that you could just bring up whenever, kind of like Facebook chat or something (in principle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom