• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: Back To Karkand Releasing December 6th PS3/December 13th 360/PC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems we have a launch date for Back To Karkand.

DICE said:
Back to Karkand launches for the PlayStation 3 on Tuesday!

We hope you are ready to go Back to Karkand, as we are releasing our first Battlefield 3 expansion pack Tuesday, December 6th (giving you one week early access exclusively on PlayStation 3)!

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is a huge expansion pack featuring four legendary Battlefield maps reimagined in the Frostbite 2 engine. Three new vehicles (the VSTOL fighter jet, Desert Buggy, and an APC), ten new weapons that you can bring back to the base game, and a new layer of persistence with our all-new Assignments make this a must-have for any Battlefield fan.

Our four new maps are Wake Island, Sharqi Peninsula, Gulf of Oman, and Strike at Karkand. Over the years these maps have been played billions of times and now they’ve been reimagined with the power of the Frostbite 2 engine. To top it off, we’re taking the level of destruction to the next level as well – entire huge portions of these maps can be razed to the ground.

We’re also introducing the Assignments system. For example, to complete the “Let it Rain” assignment players must score 20 kills with Light Machine Guns and two mortar kills. When you have met the requirements, you will unlock a new Back to Karkand weapon (with a matching set of dog tags) to use in Back to Karkand and the original Battlefield 3 maps, which will mix in server rotation. You will also unlock the next Assignment in the series, the new Creeping Death Assignment.

We hope that you're as excited as we are to release our fist expansion. There's even more great content planned for the future, so stay tuned!

And before we go, here are the five new Trophies you can hunt in Back to Karkand:

Complete Warrior (Silver)

Get a kill with the following weapons in a single life: Rifle, Jet, Tank

Third Tour (Bronze)

Get a kill with the new APC, Desert Buggy, and STOVL fighter jet

Gunslinger (Bronze)

Get 10 kills with all B2K weapons

Like a Boss! (Silver)
Get a kill with the skid loader

Jaws (Bronze)
Take a swim in the pool at the Oman hotel

We hope you enjoyed this look at our first expansion pack for Battlefield 3. Let us know what you think about Back to Karkand in the Battlelog forums.

If you are a Battlefield 3 Limited Edition owner, you are entitled to this entire expansion pack at no extra charge and you can get it from the in-game store or the PlayStation Store. Otherwise, you can buy it for $14.99, from the game’s in-game store or from the PlayStation Store. Every future expansion pack for Battlefield 3 will also be available one week early exclusively on PlayStation 3, just like Back to Karkand.
Source: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...nches-for-the-playstation-3-on-tuesday.aspx##

uugh now i know how cod ps3 players feel.
Man this stuff has to stop one week exclusive access not fair not when wake island is involved :p

GenericUser

I don't give a damn as long as dice proves to be incapable to fix the input lag on the ps3. Without that fix, playing in 720p is impossible for me and I simply will not waste any minute more playing this game in SD. Get your priorities right DICE!

The M.O.B

*grumble grumble* Ps3 gets it a week earlier than PC *grumble grumble*

Glad I went with the limited edition, no classes means i'm gonna be free to enjoy this for a couple weeks.

Nizz

I don't give a damn as long as dice proves to be incapable to fix the input lag on the ps3. Without that fix, playing in 720p is impossible for me and I simply will not waste any minute more playing this game in SD. Get your priorities right DICE!
So playing in 480p really does make a difference? I can't bear to play the game at that rez though. Pretty incredible that they still haven't managed to fix the problem. Hard for me to get excited about this expansion pack while the controls are still shit...

GenericUser

So playing in 480p really does make a difference?

Yes it does! It feels like the real deal, but of course, the game looks ugly then. Not only that, but the game is built for HD res and this makes it hard to recognize many of the necessarry details when you have to play in SD. Like AT mines or guys hiding behind moving bushes and such things.

I will not bother with the otherwise awesome expansion pack if they don't get their stuff together before that expansion gets released. This is almost an insult.

When you have met the requirements, you will unlock a new Back to Karkand weapon
Ugh, BF3 has too many damn unlocks already, I don't want more! Just give me my new weapons to use, not go through some lame assignment system to unlock them....

I would also be a lot more excited about these maps if the IRNV was taken out of the game. More unlocks + IRNV still around, is not what I want to see.

Oh hell this comes out right around the time SWTOR hits. I was crossing my fingers it would hit a week or so before so I could get some play time in before SWTOR and WoW 4.3 sucks away my free time.

Kyaw

Let's do this!

Skyrim creation kit coming in January actually makes me want to play BF3 until then.

ziadoz

Neo Member
This is the reason I'm so glad I own a PS3. I can play awesome expansion packs like this earlier than everyone else AND I can do it with massive input lag. Good times.

Dan Yo

Banned
uugh now i know how cod ps3 players feel.
Man this stuff has to stop one week exclusive access not fair not when wake island is involved :p
Meh. These maps are free. On CoD they just have to wait to pay money. Here we're actually having to wait on legitimately good, free content.

Worst part is EA is already giving them 1943, so still giving them a week's early access to the free content is redundant.

Man, this console DLC early access thing does my head in, mainly because it never works in the PC's favour. At least it's only a week, unlike Skyrim's stuff.

Oh, and Karkland will be awesome with Destruction and without BF2's horrific game-breaking grenade spam.

CozMick

Banned
Meh. These maps are free. On CoD they just have to wait to pay money. Here we're actually having to wait on legitimately good, free content.

Worst part is EA is already giving them 1943, so still giving them a week's early access to the free content is redundant.

Hmmm they're only free on consoles if you bought the limited edition.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I don't get why they have to lump PC with the console exclusive bullshit. Who the fuck would get the ps3 version instead of the pc version because of a one week difference. ARGHHHHH!

CozMick

Banned
I don't get why they have to lump PC with the console exclusive bullshit. Who the fuck would get the ps3 version instead of the pc version because of a one week difference. ARGHHHHH!

Same could be said about Call of Duty, but it definitely happens, talking about the 360 of course.

Top Bottom