• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.00 removes PSP copy functionality for installed PSone/Minis

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is noted in the FW 4.00 thread but I don't think many people know about it and this issue is great enough to warrant its own thread imo.

http://www.psnstores.com/2011/12/tm...-psp-copy-functionality-for-installed-titles/

Updates: After testing, the whole 32 install bubbles are the max number allowed is bunk. I have 33 on my XMB right now. However another side effect of this has been found. It seems that Minis and PSone titles will no longer be installed automatically when you choose to auto-shutdown after background downloads complete. They will not install automatically after downloading without the use of background downloading either. Simply put, all Minis and PSone titles must now be manually installed.

It also seems that PSP only content can no longer be installed at all, it will just remain as an install bubble. So if you liked to store all your digital PSP games on your PS3 in a nice folder you are out of luck.

--------------

I really hate it when stuff like this happens. It seems that with the latest PS3 firmware the option to copy installed titles which have PSP playback ability has been removed. Instead you are forced to redownload all the titles you wish to put on the PSP and copy them over before they are installed.

Minis titles which are redownloaded can still be installed and played on the PS3, but it leaves the install bubble at the top of your XMB game list. A user on NeoGAF noted that you can only have 32 pending installs on the PS3, which at this point would halt the ability for you to download in the background. What are your thoughts on this? As someone who plays a bunch of minis, this is a pain in my ass.

Apparently if you install a PSone game onto your PS3, the install file still remains on your XMB and doesn't get auto-deleted. So you pretty much need double space if you want to copy your game to your PSP (and presumably the Vita in the future). The only way to transfer PSone/Minis to the PSP is to keep the install file...

4.00 is mainly a Vita FW update, which probably means we can blame Vita for removed functionality. But why?? What the hell is Sony thinking?

Edit: Also, doing auto-shutdown on your PS3 while a download is active usually installed the game for you in the past. However, downloading a PSOne/Minis game then doing auto-shutdown of your PS3 after download is complete WILL NOT install the game for you anymore. You have to install the game manually on your PS3.

Takao

Banned
This is pretty weird.

Maybe it's to prevent people with CFW buying games on PSN, using the PS3 to install, and then transferring over to PSP without a "You cannot play this game. Update firmware"? I don't really know how that works.

kassatsu

Banned
Worst part is you can't install psp games anymore. I used to use my ps3 as a storage place for my digital games. Not anymore!

Eusis

Just use media go, problem solved.
That's fine if you have plenty of room to spare on your PC or don't care about PS1 games on your PS3 (admittedly with the way saves are set up you WOULD want to stick with one or the other), but it's a pain in the ass to have created a large PSP library on your PS3, only for Sony to arbitrarily make it not work anymore. REALLY hope they come out with a patch that addresses this in some manner.

Massa

The install includes DRM authorization, which is probably why it's split now. When the PS3 was hacked wide open people were able to extract the PSP signing keys from it; the separate process means the PS3 can no longer sign PSP or PSVita games.

Worst part is you can't install psp games anymore. I used to use my ps3 as a storage place for my digital games. Not anymore!

Can't you keep uninstalled PSP games on your PS3?

Eusis

I WOULD recommend using Media Go simply because it's a convenient way to keep your saves backed up. Even if you had no plans to store games on there the saves should easily fit on most modern computers as long as you don't copy installs over too.

Linuxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At least that made a sort of sense, even though SCEI was probably unnecessarily kneejerk about it. This is... is there a SPECIAL WAY that PSP games have to copy over to PSVita? If so why not just keep copy on installed ones exclusive to PSP transfers? Such a pain in the ass.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There is a video in the link too if you want to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mPb7BkV0II

Just imagine downloading Motorstorm RC on your PS3 and you install the game and get rid of the install file because you have a small PS3 HDD. Then you get a Vita down the line and want to copy the game...nope, gotta redownload!

Emitan

Last time I checked (a few months ago) MediaGo refuses to install in 64 bit Windows 7. What a piece of shit.

Diebuster

Wait, so is this just for PSOne games and minis or also PSP games? Article sounds like the latter.

Either way though, this blows. I loved using my PS3 as a storage center for my PSP stuff and I intended to do the same with Vita. :/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cant you just download it, then copy it over, then install it?

I probably used a poor example but that's really not user friendly, right? I'm pretty sure some of us have a lot of PSone games on our PS3 right now. All installed. Before 4.00, we were allowed to copy those installed PSOne games to our PSP from the PS3 XMB with no hassles. Now with 4.00, we have to redownload those games because who the fuck keeps the install files?

Wait, so is this just for PSOne games and minis or also PSP games? Article sounds like the latter.

Either way though, this blows. I loved using my PS3 as a storage center for my PSP stuff and I intended to do the same with Vita. :/

It seems like you can't copy PSP games back and forth either. It seems like anything that can be copied to the PSP must be done with the install files after 4.00.

mollipen

This had better be a bug. My PS3 is basically my container for all of my PSP content, because I not only don't want to use Media Go, but can't (Mac). If this was an actual decision made on the part of Sony, it would be one of the most ridiculous decisions they've ever made. Sony themselves had pushed the PS3 as a "digital locker" for your PSP content, and if they've made this change without any proper solution... UGGGGH.

test_account

XP-39C²
I probably used a poor example but that's really not user friendly, right? I'm pretty sure some of us have a lot of PSone games on our PS3 right now. All installed. Before 4.00, we were allowed to copy those installed PSOne games to our PSP from the PS3 XMB with no hassles. Now with 4.00, we have to redownload those games because who the fuck keeps the install files?
For stuff that is already installed, then a re-download is needed indeed. I just asked that question since you mentioned a game that isnt out yet, so a double download isnt needed then =) I wonder why they did this change.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just use media go, problem solved.

*Ultra expensive Vita memory cards!* "Just stick to physical games, problem solved."
*Only one account on the Vita!* "Just stick to one account or reset factory changes if you wanna play imports, problem solved."

Oh, yeah. This isn't annoying at all.

Massa

This had better be a bug. My PS3 is basically my container for all of my PSP content, because I not only don't want to use Media Go, but can't (Mac). If this was an actual decision made on the part of Sony, it would be one of the most ridiculous decisions they've ever made. Sony themselves had pushed the PS3 as a "digital locker" for your PSP content, and if they've made this change without any proper solution... UGGGGH.

You can still use your PS3 to manage your PSP content. This is an issue for minis and PS1 games that they'll hopefully figure out (although it should involve you keeping two copies on your PS3).

VanWinkle

No joke, I pulled out my PSP Go last night since I hadn't used it in a long time and I was trying to copy the minis on my ps3 to it. I was wracking my brain over it. I knew I had done it before. This is so dumb.

Roto13

Stupid stupid stupid. Not a big deal for minis since you could probably download every mini worth playing in five minutes, but it's stupid that I'd have to redownload giant multi-disc PS1 games if I want to play them on two devices.

Lain

Really, what where they thinking? Who thought such a change was good? Every piece of PSP software (games/demos/DLC) I have on my PS3 is useless unless I re-download everything, which would also make a mess in my XMB, since that stuff can't even be put into folders unless installed, and since it doesn't install anymore...
It doesn't even make sense as a change.

Massa

Really, what where they thinking? Who thought such a change was good? Every piece of PSP software (games/demos/DLC) I have on my PS3 is useless unless I re-download everything, which would also make a mess in my XMB, since that stuff can't even be put into folders unless installed, and since it doesn't install anymore...
It doesn't even make sense as a change.

This function is why the PS3 hack also enabled the PSP to be fully hacked. The 4.0 updated prepared the system for the Vita launch, and now each system is responsible for its own authorization of digital content; this means a future PS3 hack won't compromise the Vita, or vice-versa.

mollipen

You can still use your PS3 to manage your PSP content. This is an issue for minis and PS1 games that they'll hopefully figure out (although it should involve you keeping two copies on your PS3).

PSP games won't copy over if you're already installed them—I just tried. So you've still got the issue of having to keep the installer files around, of which you can only have 32 (according to what's been mentioned here).

Lain

No you can't. All the PSP games on PS3 can't be copied anymore unless re-downloaded, and once re-downloaded they sit as install bubbles in your XMB, with no way to put them into a folder. Same apply to every piece of PSP software sitting in a PS3, demos, DLC. Not just PS1 games and minis.

kassatsu

Banned

You can't install PSP games, and you can only have 32 install bubbles. That is not managing.

mollipen

I also love that they're like "just go re-download from your download list!" when the download list is just one big chaotic jumble of everything you've ever downloaded, with no means for sorting, filtering, searching, or anything else.

Gee, thanks.

Massa

You can't install PSP games, and you can only have 32 install bubbles. That is not managing.

Well yeah, they should improve how bubble management works now that it's actually required. In theory there should be no difference between storing installed vs uninstalled PSP games on your PS3, they just need to update the UI to keep up with the underlying change, as well as content that can be installed on multiple platforms (PS1, minis and PS Suite apps).

I also love that they're like "just go re-download from your download list!" when the download list is just one big chaotic jumble of everything you've ever downloaded, with no means for sorting, filtering, searching, or anything else.

Gee, thanks.

You can also download from the store directly, much easier that way.

Top Bottom