• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Seems easy :(

demo is easy - yes. At least for big swords.

I can't blame them - if they really are going for a new market, they've got to entice people in. Kicking their arse in the demo would be a non-starter.

Three days to go. Regardless of wife/JR, i'm -in- as -f*ck- lol. So i'll be Solo Hunter :D Perhaps i can tempt them over to dark side?

3DS game number 35 lol. 40 by end of the year. I'm such a Vita fanboy ;)

Kyoufu

I don't know, to me this game looks pretty effin good graphically. Definitely a step up from the PSP games.

I wonder what the framerate is like in multiplayer though.

I can't blame them - if they really are going for a new market, they've got to entice people in. Kicking their arse in the demo would be a non-starter.

Three days to go. Regardless of wife/JR, i'm -in- as -f*ck- lol. So i'll be Solo Hunter :D Perhaps i can tempt them over to dark side?

Why can't this have online :( I seriously don't have anyone to play MH with in Osaka.

Tenbatsu

Hehe.

Btw if you guys got Mario Kart 7, you can tell whether its 60fps by comparing with it.

Why can't this have online :( I seriously don't have anyone to play MH with in Osaka.
Yeah and no online sucks. They should just throw in MK7 online system. Well I guess you just have to sit somewhere and use the Hunter Search system.

DCharlie

did they leave the hooks in for Xlink ? I'm assuming.... no? :/

Anyways, the file i created was 500mb and Vegas is throwing a wobbly. Just uploading the thing as is lol. Slow.

Will try and cut it down again - not rendering any video for some reason.

Kyoufu

Xlink refuses to support 3DS (something about the way the system works) so don't hold your breath on that. Such a shame. :(

DCharlie

fuuuuuu - camera records movs, vegas 8 doesn't like movs, vid camera not charged.

Let me smash my face into something.

john tv

Just killed Urukususu -- happy to see he not only looks slightly different (better), but he has a bunch of new movements and animations, too. Not just a quick-port from PSP. Good first sign. :)

Camera control w/the touch screen is not enough IMO - I need something physical. I need...Frankenstick.

did they leave the hooks in for Xlink ? I'm assuming.... no? :/

Anyways, the file i created was 500mb and Vegas is throwing a wobbly. Just uploading the thing as is lol. Slow.

Will try and cut it down again - not rendering any video for some reason.

Thanks. I'll instantly be able to tell for sure if it's 60FPS (assuming that you actually upload the video itself at 60FPS!)

I have "the eye" if you will ;)

Alrus

hell its not like I can play the game anyways since its not heading over to the US :(

(If it does I pray the US version has online)

Capcom never announced a MH for the west before it came out in Japan, just be patient. It's probably coming.

Luigiv

I wonder, now that games can do DLC, is it out of the question that this will get DLC to go online?

We can only hope. It'd also be quite nice if it were free and international just like all of Capcoms other 3DS games. Shouldn't be too hard either. I don't see any reason for Capcom to use 3rd party servers on the 3DS like they did for the Wii, NintendoMs servers should be up to snuff now.

Alsoseems like alot of people are complaining about the virtual dpad. I'm guessing it's something that will get alot better with practise (or more precisely muscle memory). Well at least for land where you only need to tap left or right. I don't think I'll be doing any underwater hunting without frankenstick.

DCharlie

I have "the eye" if you will ;)

well, i -think- i've got the eye - and i just can't tell. As per others, there's probably some inter-frame blur going on but the thing looks damned smooth.

let me find a way to cut this mov down to something smaller.

Poyunch

Using Nintendo servers means having to use friend codes. I don't know if Capcom wants to do that. At least now with friend codes being system wide it might not be that big of a problem as if it were on Wii.

Luigiv

Using Nintendo servers means having to use friend codes. I don't know if Capcom wants to do that. At least now with friend codes being system wide it might not be that big of a problem as if it were on Wii.

Why would it matter? Tri used hunter codes which were practically the same thing. The unified friend list should just make things even more of a non-issue.

Poyunch

Why would it matter? Tri used hunter codes which were practically the same thing. The unified friend list should just make things even more of a non-issue.

You didn't have to literally type in a friend code to add people and you could interact freely with anyone that wasn't a "friend". I'm not saying it's the way things are now but I'm saying Capcom's past decisions on the Wii was most likely not technical and more about the regulations Nintendo set for online before.

Poyunch

My uncle works for Nintendo. He says that Monster Hunter Tri G is going to come out. They're adding in Charizard. Honest.

DCharlie

I never got the pokemon cross over talk as it just sounded like people were trying to just SLAM two big franchises together.

However, DLC pokemon themed armour? I can see that.

Hell, we already have MGS Cats over on 3rdP

muu

We can only hope. It'd also be quite nice if it were free and international just like all of Capcoms other 3DS games. Shouldn't be too hard either. I don't see any reason for Capcom to use 3rd party servers on the 3DS like they did for the Wii, NintendoMs servers should be up to snuff now.

Alsoseems like alot of people are complaining about the virtual dpad. I'm guessing it's something that will get alot better with practise (or more precisely muscle memory). Well at least for land where you only need to tap left or right. I don't think I'll be doing any underwater hunting without frankenstick.

International maybe, free? Outside of Japan, sure. Obviously they can do it (RE is going to have free worldwide online after all), just that doing so will be akin to SquareEnix making FF11 a free service during its prime. Too much money being made when you're probably at peak subscriber numbers to suddenly get rid of them.

I'll probably enjoy using the virtual pad a lot more once I can adjust the size. Way it's laid out in the demo is more ideal for no-grip operation, with one it'd be much better if I could resize the thing. Far as hunting on land though it felt like I won't be using it at all, what with the usefulness of the target camera.

DCharlie

http://dcharlie.com/mh3g2.avi

smaller one and ... yeah.... wtf.

whats even more fucked up is the frame rate seems to stay EXACTLY THE SAME in 3D (though the sharpness goes up and we see some jaggies)

i'm currently going with either :

2d: it's 60fps with some sort of aliasing - limited jaggies, less detailed textures
3d: drop the FSAA, let the jaggies run free , sharper textures - render 3D

OR, of course :

Magic Elves in the carts

The game looks better in 3D than it does in 2D. My mind... blown.

whats even more fucked up is the frame rate seems to stay EXACTLY THE SAME in 3D (though the sharpness goes up and we see some jaggies)

2d: it's 60fps with some sort of aliasing - limited jaggies, less detailed textures

OR, of course :

Magic Elves in the carts

Of course they just add 2X SSAA when in 2D mode. That makes sense (that's what all the other MT Framework games do on 3DS)

Even so, it just blows my mind! It blows the Wii version out of the water! My eyes tell me 60FPS but my brain refuses to believe! Black magic at work here (who needs "compelling textures"? We have 60FPS S3D!)

muu

Definitely does look like a 60fps video through this. What I got when I was playing around though was a framedrop that seemed more like 30fps territory, esp where you first pop if you move the camera around. Felt closer to variable 40-60fps in the caves where there's just the giant snow bunny and much less background being rendered.

OR, of course :

Magic Elves in the carts

DCharlie

lack magic at work here (who needs "compelling textures"? We have 60FPS S3D!)

or lots of weird blurring tricks or whatever. Regardless - it looks great.

Excuse sh1tty playing - trying to do too many things at once.

>>
http://www.dcharlie.com/mh3g3.avi

another thing of note is that i can see the perceivable z-axis being a big boon. I've a bad habit of dropping some attacks short and that doesn't seem to happen nearly half as much.

Killed Urukususu but I ran out of time on Ganototosu even though he was almost down >_<
The game's quite beautiful and doesn't slow down in 3D so that's a plus.
The lock-on feature is really good for those without the second stick and those who can't master The Crab/Claw technique, but will surely be useless when you do, or can.

I was wondering how it would fare on 3DS, but I don't see any problems so far so...I want it! Shame I need to wait a bit for that :(

MightyKAC

OR, of course :

Magic Elves in the carts

Yeah, I'm going with 60 FPS unless someone from Capcom says otherwise.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That seems 60 fps. Even if unstable, I'll only really care if it consistently drops below 45 or so. It's weird that nobody mentioned this before. On the other hand you can notice the reduced geometry in some parts (like in the area that has the faked reflections and a rocky arch, unless I remember it looking better than it did in Tri).

The snowy ground texture in that 60fps video also looks markedly worse than I ever noticed it being in Tri.

I hope they can work some of this magic in Revelations and make it run better than some of the footage shown (not likely to hit 60 though, lol, hopefully 30).

The fuck is the crab technique... I know of the claw, which seemed uselessly over the top to me from my time in MHFU, but that's not possible on 3DS with the reversed placement of the d-pad and slide pad... Not that I'd prefer it over the touch d-pad if it was even possible...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't expect 3D 60fps to be a norm on 3DS, but it's good to know some games will benefit from it. The next one is Tekken.

The fuck is the crab technique... I know of the claw, which seemed uselessly over the top to me from my time in MHFU, but that's not possible on 3DS with the reversed placement of the d-pad and slide pad... Not that I'd prefer it over the touch d-pad if it was even possible...

The index finger used to be the dominant digit on the human hand up until the point that handheld devices started coming into vogue. Time to go back to this trend.

DCharlie

claw is needed for close quarters players - sometimes the safest place is down the flanks or underneath a monster, sometimes you just need to be moving and to know where the enemy is.

That's the main benefits i've had of the claw - i wasn't sure how this would work on the 3DS but the placement of the touch screen digital pad works pretty well - you're letting go of your "attack,items" hand but you can always claw that if need be ;)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Again, I didn't need "the claw" in MHFU, just recentering, sometimes using the d-pad while in other animations, and learning how the monsters move even if off screen.

So "the crab" is basically playing as normal? If you wanted a dual analog style (not one of the modes that actually mapped attacks on the right stick or whatever) setup - in this case one analog and one touch d-pad - you always had to leave the attack buttons and such to move the camera... You'd do that if you got the slide pad pro too even. Or did I get your description all wrong or something? You did say you leave the attack buttons, those are on the right hand, ie, the 2nd analog/touch d-pad hand. Or are you actually skipping the touch screen and just moving your right hand into using the d-pad? That's crazy if so... I'm confused... But whatever works for every person.

Top Bottom