• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA closes Bright Light Studio (Harry Potter Dev)

CyReN

Bright Light Studio, the team behind the recent string of Harry Potter titles from EA, has been shuttered.

Develop reports the UK-based developer has been closed with some of the employees being relocated to other EA internal studios, including Criterion and Playfish. The number of people affected is unknown, but it's believed the studio employed about 100 people total.

EA has declined to offer specifics on the matter. Reports of the studio's eventual closure began to surface last October. Game Informer has followed up with EA for additional details. "We’re particularly proud of how many people from that studio are now working for other EA studios in UK, Europe and NorAm," EA told Game Informer.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/ea-closes-harry-potter-dev.aspx

That sucks for people who lost their job, but hopefully they will all move on to bigger and better things. Working in a dedicated Harry Potter studio doesn't sound like much fun.

That sucks for people who lost their job, but hopefully they will all move on to bigger and better things. Working in a dedicated Harry Potter studio doesn't sound like much fun.

I dunno, maybe they all really like Harry Potter.

I'd be a joyous little duckling if I worked at a studio that just made shitty X-Files light gun games.

Yeah, EA probably had no reason to keep them around any longer.

They could have, like, put them on a different project. Or even a new IP!

At the very least it seems like some employees got relocated to other EA studios, which is slightly better than just completely letting everybody go.

Famassu

While unfortunate, not really surprising considering they made what is possibly one of the worst games of all time.

Xater

They could have, like, put them on a different project. Or even a new IP!

At the very least it seems like some employees got relocated to other EA studios, which is slightly better than just completely letting everybody go.

Sure they could have, but we know that this not how these companies operate. :/

Alrus

Well recent HP games (outside of the lego ones) were really bad and probably didn't sell that well, so it's not too surprising. They can't use the movie as "free" advertising anymore too.

CyReN

The HP games were awful anyway - mostly fetch quests all over the castle.

They where really bad, I got excited when someone said it would be like "Gears of Hogwarts" or something like that. Only good/decent Harry Potter games are the early ones, Quidditch World Cup, and the Lego series.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wasn't Brightlight the final dregs of Bullfrog after EA completely destroyed them shortly after the buyout years ago?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I worked with them for a while, not a fan of their products but they were all cool people. Hope they all find gigs soon.

[Nintex]

Wasn't Brightlight the final dregs of Bullfrog after EA completely destroyed them shortly after the buyout years ago?

Yep, EA UK at first, followed by EA Bright Light. It wasn't always the plan to make them a Harry Potter factory and they made that 'Create' game but that horribly bombed and probably killed the studio.

Andrefpvs

Sometimes I think about the Harry Potter games and I get sad because they never made more games like HP 1 & 2 on the GBC. Those were good.

wabo

Banned
Am I the only one who would be OK with a HP game that lets you live all 7 years in the world of Hogwarts?

Sort of Bully, but better. 4 stories depending on what group you'r selected, no necessarely related to what happened to Harry. Like you're anon, and have you've your own problems that can or cannot be related with Potter ones. IE Ravenclaw guys goes with Slytherin guys at Potions, wanna help Cho so you have to piss off Slytherin with sabotage, etc. And if you do something or the opposite, it lead to changes on what happens to Harry and your own history (I'm going mad-Obsidian-style here, yep).

I guess the main problem is HP world don't have enough lore to produce alternate/independent stories. Think of how many charms are learned in the series. 20 in total? Dev had to invent too much.

I'm OK also if it only takes 1 year so the can release 7 games

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To the best of my knowledge the PS3/Xbox/PC versions were done by the same team in Guildford, I know the DS versions were outsourced to a completely independent team at Full-Fat in Coventry.

I wouldn't be too hard on the Bright Light guys, from what I understand it was a difficult project politically - Rowling's representatives were all over it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Create wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining and it's a bit of a pity it didn't catch on. The studio also did Spare Parts for PSN/XBLA, which had a lot of promise as a sort of light, Ratchet and Clank ish game. It was not very good though. Not really sure why the studio's products didn't quite gel.

To the best of my knowledge the PS3/Xbox/PC versions were done by the same team in Guildford, I know the DS versions were outsourced to a completely independent team at Full-Fat in Coventry.

I wouldn't be too hard on the Bright Light guys, from what I understand it was a difficult project politically - Rowling's representatives were all over it.

I can't imagine they made it too easy.

Oh and these are the guys that made Spare Parts too? I guess I can kinda see why EA didn't really keep them around from a business perspective.

Yes. In fact i remember reading an interview with the Bright Light studio head about how they wanted to return to a Bullfrog IP after Harry Potter was done.

I enjoyed the (Eurocom-developed?) Chamber of Secrets game back in the day. It was a sort of Harry Potter-themed Zelda-lite, and it was surprisingly decent, although it could be rose-tinted goggles at work there. My little brother got the Goblet of Fire game, which was a top down co-op action game thing with the odd physics puzzle for good measure, and that looked pretty "meh". So it's been a pretty interesting mix when it comes to genres and HP tie-ins.

I read somewhere that the HP games Bright Light developed prior to the Deathly Hallows games were alright, and the team was likely highly constrained for both time and what they could and couldn't do. A real shame that some of them are losing their jobs, as it would be for anyone at this time.

I enjoyed the (Eurocom-developed?) Chamber of Secrets game back in the day. It was a sort of Harry Potter-themed Zelda-lite, and it was surprisingly decent, although it could be rose-tinted goggles at work there. My little brother got the Goblet of Fire game, which was a top down co-op action game thing with the odd physics puzzle for good measure, and that looked pretty "meh". So it's been a pretty interesting mix when it comes to genres and HP tie-ins.

I read somewhere that the HP games Bright Light developed prior to the Deathly Hallows games were alright, and the team was likely highly constrained for both time and what they could and couldn't do. A real shame that some of them are losing their jobs, as it would be for anyone at this time.

As a child, my suspension of disbelief was shattered when the compulsory wizarding tests in the story required the use of spells I wasn't supposed to have (snuck out at night to get them etc).

Joni

Create & Spare Parts just didn't justify keeping it open either. Not disappointed or surprised.

immy

Banned
Am I the only one who would be OK with a HP game that lets you live all 7 years in the world of Hogwarts?

Sort of Bully, but better. 4 stories depending on what group you'r selected, no necessarely related to what happened to Harry. Like you're anon, and have you've your own problems that can or cannot be related with Potter ones. IE Ravenclaw guys goes with Slytherin guys at Potions, wanna help Cho so you have to piss off Slytherin with sabotage, etc. And if you do something or the opposite, it lead to changes on what happens to Harry and your own history (I'm going mad-Obsidian-style here, yep).

I guess the main problem is HP world don't have enough lore to produce alternate/independent stories. Think of how many charms are learned in the series. 20 in total? Dev had to invent too much.

I'm OK also if it only takes 1 year so the can release 7 games

OMG YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be set before Harry Potter is about too.

Top Bottom