• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGFest X (already started yesterday)

RotBot

I'm surprised nobody started a MAGFest X thread yet, especially considering this year's guest list.

MAGFest X
Gaylord National Hotel and Convention Center
201 Waterfront Street
National Harbor, MD 20745
Jan 5 - 8, 2012 (Thu - Sun)

Tickets are still available at the door. $55 for a 4-day pass 3-and-a-half-day pass. $40 for a single day pass.

Notable Guests:
Nobuo Uematsu will be there for a concert and panel with his band Earthbound Papas.
Ellen McLain (voice of GLaDOS) and her husband John Patrick Lowrie (voice of TF2 Sniper)
Danny Baranowsky, composer for Super Meat Boy, Canabalt, Cave Story 3D, Steambirds iOS, Way, Glorg, Jesus vs. Dinosaurs, The Binding of Isaac and more.
Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'? crew
James Rolfe, Angry Video Game Nerd
Jon St. John, voice of Dudebro

I hadn't even heard of this place until I spotted a booth at AUSA 2010. I keep meaning to go but I never end up having the time/money to do it. It's doubly sad because I live pretty close to there (NoVA).

RotBot

Thursday impressions:

I went to the DJ Cutman and John Patrick Lowrie panels yesterday. Cutman created a new Snake Man mix in an hour and I learned a few useful mixing tricks. John Patrick Lowrie was in Betrayal in Antara, a game I played so long ago I forgot it had voice acting. He is willing to sign jars of urine, so don't forget to bring yours.

The massive game room is awesome, though I'm much worse at Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball now than I was 15 years ago. And I learned GuitarFreaks is kind of a terrible game, even if it has Castlevania music. The free-play arcade machines alone are going to make up for the badge price in quarters saved.

I saw the end of Random Encounter's set, but didn't catch any other musical performances on Thursday.

Finally, watching The Wizard in a room full of people shouting at the screen is the only way to watch The Wizard.

Chavelo

This thread needs a nice bump. This is like the PAX for video game music.

My list of events I need to attend:

1. EVO
2. PAX
3. MagFest

creid

I'm kind of pissed I didn't know about the timing & guest list before yesterday. Would've loved to see Uematsu & The Minibosses.

Nista

Grant Kirkhope is having a panel on Saturday morning as well.

I'm going to head down there to see Uematsu on Saturday.

theBishop

Banned
256px-MAG_(video_game).jpg

?

Why didn't anyone tell me?!

RotBot

Friday quick recap:

Dragged into a game of Munchkin (which I'd never heard of) by random strangers in the tabletop area. Thanks, random strangers! It was fun!

Team Fortress 2 appreciation and learnings! panel with Eric Ruth (Team Fortress Arcade), Ellen McLain, and John Patrick Lowrie

Waited 40 minutes in line to eat at Elevation Burger due to friend who isn't adventurous enough to eat at Baja Fresh, a Portuguese chicken place, or even goddamn Potbelly.

Stood 2 feet away from Nobuo Uematsu (and rudely videotaped him): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5_kZboznk

Watched a few episodes of The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police, still wondering why they added the unnecessary Geek character

Saw the Megas perform http://youtu.be/wziJND-n-uk

Played Taiko no Tatsujin with a guy who chose the easiest song on easy mode.

Played DJ Hero 2 even though I own it. Spent two minutes calibrating it because projectors don't have 0 ms lag, people.

Teknoman

Heh thought it had something to do with Phantasy Star. I had no idea Uematsu had another band besides The Black Mages though.

Friday quick recap:

Dragged into a game of Munchkin (which I'd never heard of) by random strangers in the tabletop area. Thanks, random strangers! It was fun!

I couldn't sleep, so after I beat Donkey Kong Country and Chip n' Dale, I went upstairs and came across a D&D session. I ended up joining them. They were awesome.

Then I ended up jamming out with a guitarist in the dead Dealer's Hall.

Then I had a chat with a very tired Sid Meier.

Waited 40 minutes in line to eat at Elevation Burger due to friend who isn't adventurous enough to eat at Baja Fresh, a Portuguese chicken place, or even goddamn Potbelly.

My big mistake was waiting for food with a group of twenty. I later found out one of them was a horrible racist, and defriended them on Facebook.

Watched a few episodes of The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police, still wondering why they added the unnecessary Geek character

That character was brilliant. I will cut you.

And being in a room full of gamers singing while Duke Nukem counts down to New Years was a brilliant experience.

bigkrev

Went last year, and apart from the difficulty of getting any non 7-11 food at the location (it was a hotel in bumfuck virgina), was one of the best experiences of my life. I remember waking up at 4 in the morning, going down to the game room, and playing cash games of Project Diva dreamy theater with another guy. Also, seeing The Protomen preform act 2 live was incredible, although my awkward self nearly fell on top of Ito from Retroware.tv trying to get closer to the stage.

Really hope they stay in this new awesome location for next year, and that my finances allow me to go.

creid

Played Taiko no Tatsujin with a guy who chose the easiest song on easy mode.
I've always wanted to play both of these. Sounds like I'm going to have to fit Magfest in to my con schedule next year.

giggas

Was there on Friday into Saturday, but I left early Saturday morning. It's a decent time, though I'm not sure how some people can stay there all four days. I probably could have done another day, but I'd be pretty burnt out on everything there if I did more than that, unless I was extremely interested in most of the panels and shows.

Anyway the free play Arcade is always the highlight for me. Played so many damn games there. The console section is generally made up of stuff I can play at home, so I usually spend more time in the arcade section just soaking up all that stuff.

Saw two bands perform, This Place is Haunted and Metroid Metal. Never heard any TPIH stuff, they were pretty good. I really wanted to see MM and got damn they were awesome. I also went to Egoraptor's panel at midnight, which was almost rudely interrupted by two fans dressed as characters from his Girlchan series. The guy is in the middle of answering a question and these two clowns break out into a routine from one of the episodes. Thankfully multiple people told them to stfu.

I was kinda hoping to pick up a bunch of retro games at the marketplace, but good lord did they over price stuff. The only thing I bought was Kabuki Quantum Fighter for the NES (about 10 dollars). Everything was just way too pricey for what it was. For example, the one vendor had a used copy of Star Fox Adventures for 30 dollars. I could go to Gamestop and buy a used copy for like 4 bucks. I don't know what they're thinking. I guess they figured when people are at these cons they forget about the value of a game.

Also, when I got up in the morning I went down into the Arcade to play some games before I went home. I found two guys, who probably didn't get a room at the hotel, asleep at a broken down Sega racing game. I took a picture with my shitty cell phone camera, so it's hard to see, but they are there, and they are asleep.

AikDtz4CAAEhAPX.jpg

I couldn't believe it.

Also, getting over 100 Street Passes was awesome. I have all the puzzles opened up to complete now, got nearly all of the SP only pieces, and was able to defeat the final boss in Find Mii 2 with all my warriors.

giggas

Another thing I wanted to point out were how loud the C-list internet celebrities were. I'm not even kidding. If you heard a crowd of people being extra loud, chances are it was a group of internet video dudes like ScrewAttack. I came across a group of TGWTG/Blistered Thumbs people like Jew Warior, being loud as hell. The Retroware TV guys were loud too. I saw Pat the NES Punk twice, and the only reason I saw him twice was because I couldn't help but hear someone being so loud. HAWP crew, well really Anthony, I also saw twice for the same reasons. The only one I saw by chance that was being well behaved was Derek Alexander, The Happy Video Game Nerd. Everyone else was loud as shit.

I'm sure these guys are nice people (well, maybe) but seriously, they gotta chill the hell out.

I also can't stand the Colossus yell anymore. It's kind of like a MAGFest staple, but it's gotten awful. For those that don't know, the Colossus yell is the scream that Colossus does in the X-Men Arcade game. Generally at MAGFest, some random dude will yell like him for no reason, causing a wave of yells to go across the entire hotel. They always have an X-Men Arcade cabinet or two at the show and while I'm always tempted to play it, I usually stay away because it is a Colossus yell factory. Between the game Colossus screaming and the people playing screaming, it is unbearable. This is coming from someone that loved that damn yell and used to do it often while growing up.

Oh and the new venue this year was awesome. Hotel was MUCH better, and bigger. It was also much more expensive (a tall draft beer was 11 dollars), but I'm glad there were food options. I ate at the Baja Fresh, and I don't care what some of you guys say, that place is great. Ha.

I also can't stand the Colossus yell anymore. It's kind of like a MAGFest staple, but it's gotten awful. For those that don't know, the Colossus yell is the scream that Colossus does in the X-Men Arcade game. Generally at MAGFest, some random dude will yell like him for no reason, causing a wave of yells to go across the entire hotel. They always have an X-Men Arcade cabinet or two at the show and while I'm always tempted to play it, I usually stay away because it is a Colossus yell factory. Between the game Colossus screaming and the people playing screaming, it is unbearable. This is coming from someone that loved that damn yell and used to do it often while growing up.

Yeah, the yell got old even last year.

This is the eighth Magfest I've been to (missed the first one and I think M8? M7?) and, I have to say, they continue to improve a lot of things.

• The hotel this year was absolutely incredible. If you transported from M2 to M10, you would be shocked at the difference. The Gaylord was amazing.
  • The panels this year were great. Went to more of them than probably all other Magfests combined. Saw Grant Kirkhope (missed him last year), Maffew from Botchamania (missed him last year too) and the fantastic Ellen McLain (holy cow packed house for her panel).
  • Music set up was better this year than any other year. Stage 2 and Jamspace/Chiptunes during the morning and afternoon segmented off then the Main Stage with the whole area open was great. My one complaint: they need to raise the main stage about two feet higher. I had to bounce to see Uematsu from halfway back and I'm six feet tall.
  • Speaking of, the musical guests were great. Got to see the Minibosses twice and Earthbound Papas were really great. It was worth it alone to see Uematsu walking around the hotel and playing on stage. Just crazy. Bizarre to think that years ago, someone covering Dancing Mad at Magfest was like "Holy shit awesome." Now the guy that wrote it played it at Magfest.

Like I said, I was at M2. Magfest now is nothing like M2 was. So much more going on, so many more people, such nicer facilities. It's been quite a joy to see the little convention continue to grow and grow. I just hope it doesn't get to PAX proportions. I enjoy the intimacy (and the lack of claustrophobic crowds) at Magfest.

http://youtu.be/6vhNWzK_yGA

Yep, that's the TF2 Sniper voice actor (who's married to Ellen Mclain, voice of GlaDOS) reading a letter to Princess Celestia.
Soon enough, you'll see a GlaDos version of this. Ellen McLain did it at her panel. It's funny in a completely awkward while you're there but better when seeing the YouTube clip kind of way...

TxdoHawk

Been going for years. Love how it's still intimate and casual after all this time, instead of a "serious" convention focused exclusively on panels and events.

I have a couple of pictures of the (incredible!) hotel and the con itself that I will post up later. I'm at work right now, so I can't at the moment.

Also, shame on everyone for not mentioning the Atari 2600 setup in the middle of the arcade section, complete with matching old-ass TV and couch. Such a great idea.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Strangely enough, my ex girlfriend IMed me this morning to tell me she was at MAGfest. She said it was pretty good.

Top Bottom