• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony DCM-M1 - The Minidisc camcorder.

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sdolb.png
jdECd.jpg

HiResolution rear shot.
ekpPk.gif

qeAmx.png

If this doesn't capture your imagination then you have no soul. This is the embodiment of failed turn of the century technology. Look at all that branding!

Fabian La Maestra said:
I had a chance to use the SONY MD Digital Camcorder DCMM1 in high-detail at the CES 2000 show in Las Vegas. This is truly a work of art in the optical-disk-based video recording environment. The only other camera out there is the NEC disk-cam costing almost 20 thousand dollars!! Panasonic will be releasing a few DVD-RW Video-Cameras but they will most-likely be close to 3-5k. Although the camera could use a bit more storage time on the ten (10) minute disk (high quality mode is the only acceptable option), the ability to record in this fashion is truly State-of-the-art. You are essentially burning an optical DISC at 4x speeds on a MOVING piece of equipment. Any computer GEEK knows that this is INCREDIBLE! Another awesome feature of this camera which is seldom mentioned is that the AC adapter comes with an Ethernet jack which plugs directly into this unit allowing you to set up an INSTANT web-site to publish your goodies. AWESOME!! In terms of camera feel and ruggedness, the casing is very high-quality using Sony's award winning magnesium quality external case-molding techniques. I love this toy but the PRICE has to seriously come down to about $1500-1800 before I'll touch it. Considering the technology, it is very much worth the price tag now, but I can get MUCH better resolution and functional-options from a MiniDV for about 600 bucks from JVC or ironically, SONY. SONY.. DROP YOUR PRICES and add an IEEE 1394 PORT !!!! Are you listening!?

Ok, so its a camcorder that records to minidiscs. Each disc will only hold 10 minutes of video. Or 20 minutes in long play mode. It features a fully capable editing suite onboard with a stylus based touchscreen interface, and an insane network mode for IP streaming directly from the camera.

The craziest thing about it?
To get video off of it you plug it into your network, and stream the videos to software like quicktime. To my knowledge this is the only way to get video off of it, aside from just dubbing onto a vcr or capture card of course.

Camcorder employing MD Data2 discs (650MB variant of original 140MB MiniDisc) to store up to 20 minutes of MPEG2 video (10 minutes in HiQuality mode) as well as still photographs. Editing and video clip assembly can be done in-camera without the use of a PC or workstation. Stylus-touch sensitive backlit LCD panel displays thumbnails of opening scenes, scenes can be spliced together with fade-in and fade-out. Built-in Ethernet port allows camera to be controlled via TCP/IP using a web browser. Unit was shown in Prototype form at IFA'99 (International Consumer Electronics Exhibition), Berlin. [From the Newsbytes coversage: Sony is said to be starting a wireless Internet service. When this happens, since the Discam itself will be accessible from the net, it will be possible to send images to people far away. With this camera pictures of children could be viewed with a WebTV terminal by Grandparents. ¶ Size is somewhat bigger than the small, already available handy DV camcorders.]

9dlQR.png
EAYCH.png
AjA6E.png

Yes, if you were to buy one you could use it as a portable audio MD player.

saunderez

loved my Sharp MiniDisc player.

that is all.

They certainly were magical before MP3 players got high capacity and cheap.

I owned one of these things (or perhaps a slightly earlier model)

MZ-G750_01_low.jpg

Being able to fit 4+ hours of music on 1 MD with what I thought was barely noticeable compression was great. Battery life was insanely good. Good times.

Reminds me of this. The Memory Stick Walkman. Oh boy did I used to lust over it:

2006AF4293_jpg_ds.jpg

Sony really tried locking the world down into their own personal formats, didn't they?
With better software they just might have managed it too...

saunderez

Sony really tried locking the world down into their own personal formats, didn't they?

Yup. While the NetMD MiniDisc players had support for MP3, everything was just encoded into their shitty ATRAC format before being burned on the MD. And the software absolutely sucked.

Wool

They still do, look at blu-ray, UMD, Vita memory cards, etc. I'm surprised they don't make their own OS for their computers like Apple.

coldfoot

Banned
I was rocking this through 1999-2005 and the sound quality was unbelievable:

821front.jpg

What's even more amazing is that I was able to ebay it for $175. Original purchase price was $350-360 or so...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still have my two Minidisc players, one of those PSYC bright orange and white NetMD players and the badass Hi-MD one that had the camera built in.

UNWxR.jpg

That one fell into disrepair as the transfer cable broke up and the battery started swelling up so I couldn't get it out, but the NetMD one still has a single AA battery in it that still holds almost a full charge after having not been used for years. Still got a fat stack of minidiscs I never even got the wrapping taken off of either.

Fond memories of those things, except for Sonicstage. That thing can suck a nut for all the bullshit you had to go through with it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hey! Cool thread! I'm actually just about two hours away from winning a bid on a lot of three MD players over on Ebay. Only one of them is the one I really want and the other two are sorta nice bonuses. All power cables are included too.

Anyway, why not some sweet MD photos while I wait?
ji8hf.jpg

Thats the first MD player juxtaposed with the last one. 14 years of innovation separate the two. Though, that MZ1 from '92 is a sorta rare portable that also has an optical out. its also slot loading. Which is amazing.

This is the MZR3, its the one that I really want from that auction. It has a jog dial. Its from 1995.
UKNVl.jpg

Sealda

Banned
MZ-R91_L_01_low.jpg

I had this beast. Costed a fortune and was supposed to be the small recordable MD when it was released.

MZ-R90_S_01_low.jpg

Ignignort

I totally had that jog dial player at first.
sony_mzr3.jpg

Then I upgraded to the most expensive MZNH1 which used High capacity 1gb discs! Whoa!

Still have the MZNH1, I gave away the MZR3 though to someone who wanted the motor arm.

Still have a Sony HiFi system which has 3 slot loading mini disc slots, only regular minidisc not the Net MD or HI MD.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its so weird, if you notice the design iteration year over year in the 90s they attempted this weird sort of docking thing that bridged the gap between home recorders and something portable. Classic Sony overengineering.

QlBoT.jpg

MZR4ST (1996]

q0RSO.jpg

MZ-R5ST (1997]

The home players are actually incredible. I long for a rack mounted recorder like the mds e12.

FcBnU.jpg

phew. beautiful.

Zeth

edit: nvm, had this one:
player.jpg

I had the one in the second picture, or some similar model. It looked so good, and felt so solid in the hand. Those were the glory days for Sony industrial design. I wish I still had that thing. Sadly I moved on to the 10gb Archos Jukebox and still have that brick.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
There was a brief period in the early 2000's when MiniDiscs were viable portable audio systems.

The problem is everyone I know who had one was just recording CDs on to the things because they couldn't buy music on MDs.

mollipen

You want to know how awesome I was? I had a car stereo that played MiniDisc as its main format.

Well, I had it until somebody stole it. Joke was on them, wasn't it!

The problem is everyone I know who had one was just recording CDs on to the things because they couldn't buy music on MDs.

Hard for me to call that a "problem". What I wanted from MD was space-age cassettes, and that's exactly what I got. I'm not sure I ever had even an ounce of interest in buying full albums on MD.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You want to know how awesome I was? I had a car stereo that played MiniDisc as its main format.

Well, I had it until somebody stole it. Joke was on them, wasn't it!

Ahahahaha oh man, the look of confusion on their faces when they couldn't get anything to fit into it.

sky

Checking in...

MZ-N707_S_02_low.jpg

I had one of these bad boys, and loved it!
Great quality, and it felt like a luxurious item.
Battery life was insaaaaaaane!

Sony's industrial design from that era was really cool...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
edit: nvm, had this one:
player.jpg

I had the one in the second picture, or some similar model. It looked so good, and felt so solid in the hand. Those were the glory days for Sony industrial design. I wish I still had that thing. Sadly I moved on to the 10gb Archos Jukebox and still have that brick.

I had one of these in gold!! High-five!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Still have my two Minidisc players, one of those PSYC bright orange and white NetMD players and the badass Hi-MD one that had the camera built in.

UNWxR.jpg

That one fell into disrepair as the transfer cable broke up and the battery started swelling up so I couldn't get it out, but the NetMD one still has a single AA battery in it that still holds almost a full charge after having not been used for years. Still got a fat stack of minidiscs I never even got the wrapping taken off of either.

Fond memories of those things, except for Sonicstage. That thing can suck a nut for all the bullshit you had to go through with it.
This thing had a camera in it? Thats amazing. I can't believe I never knew about this one. Great find.

Thats an *incredible* piece of technology.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Then I upgraded to the most expensive MZNH1 which used High capacity 1gb discs! Whoa!

That dock. My goodness gracious, that dock. HOLY SHIT! Look at that thing! WHAAAAAt?!
I can't believe thats a real product. That dock is out of control.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If man had been meant to use Minidisc, then God wouldn't have killed it in the marketplace.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
GAF has got me looking on eBay.

No idea what I'd even use one for.

Joining the MDC [Minidisc Club] of course. Its sick. I love nothing more than when I'm walking down a busy street and stop everything I'm doing to switch discs I get one in the mouth because one hand is usually holding a drink and then I pop in and out with a satisfying cuclunk and then all of the sudden its back to the music.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Joining the MDC [Minidisc Club] of course. Its sick. I love nothing more than when I'm walking down a busy street and stop everything I'm doing to switch discs I get one in the mouth because one hand is usually holding a drink and then I pop in and out with a satisfying cuclunk and then all of the sudden its back to the music.

Seeing this would frighten children.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The MD data logo is my favorite of all of them.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This thing had a camera in it? Thats amazing. I can't believe I never knew about this one. Great find.

Thats an *incredible* piece of technology.

Damn right it was. Quality was ass puked out of the back of a webcam but it was incredible at the time. Just dug 'er up to snap some pictures for this very thread.

Thing was just pure sex, sleek and contoured unlike many of the other designs at the time. Though I will say, I did love the boxy, industrial look of the players even as they thinned down and drew minimalist inspiration in their design.

And the ease of use to shooting photos was fantastic. Just pull down on this grey tab on the front, and it would boot into photo mode. Usually a 5 second wait but was fast enough. Always left a good buffer of empty space on all my MDs I used with it just in case. Done with photos? Snap the front back up and it would reboot to your music, and if I remember right it would pick up right where you left off. Sound quality was extremely high for a portable player too, wish this thing still worked so I could give my modern headphones a spin with it.

Minidiscs were cut down before their prime damnit.

DiegoXJ

6968956735_9d7cddeac4_z.jpg

The glorious MZ-R55. Still have it somewhere but lost the AC adapter. :(

This is the one I still have... somewhere, can't beat to part with it! Also have an AIWA mini stereo system that has a minidisk deck that I bought extra for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom