• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lana Del Rey: a name to remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wtvqt.jpg

Lana Del Rey is an upcoming singer/song writer.

She gained recognition from these tracks:

"Blue Jeans"

"Video Games"

There is a lot of buzz surrounding her - some positive, some negative. Some people think she's a fake. I don't really care.

The debut album:

7zPfW.jpg

Singles:

"Born to Die"

"Blue Jeans"

"Carmen"

"National Anthem"

"Summertime Sadness"

ircQoGr0RraAJ.gif

Divius

Listened to the first 2 clips you posted, didn't really click with me and I don't see the appeal. Oh well.

I just really learned about her a few days ago. (I had seen her name mentioned here and there in the past few months, but for some reason I thought she was a model.)

I saw a quick snippet of her newest video and instantly went and investigated her some more. I really dig her voice, music and style. I've been listening to her non-stop for the past 24 hours.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
IMO "Video Games" is good but the rest is a bit dirgey, particularly the 'Born to Die' track.

Was indifferent to her a couple weeks ago, but now I can't stop replaying some of her songs. Born to Die, Blue Jeans, National Anthem, Off to the Races, Video Games...I like 'em all really.

I'm excited to hear the studio version of Summertime Sadness.

devilru

Neo Member
First time I listened to Video Games I thought it was a bit too slow for my liking, for whatever reason I decided to give it another go later on and it clicked with me. I prefer Born To Die though.

Zaptruder

Banned
I like her. I like her a lot.

I don't really care if she's manufactured... it's good. Comfortably familiar, but different enough to make you sit up and take notice. Halfway between Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga perhaps.

I don't care if it's the creative output of one talented individual, or the money of a few and the talent of a few more - it entertains me. So... more please. Looking forward to seeing what else 'L.D.R' puts out.

Duderz

Banned
I didn't care too much for Video Games, but I do dig Blue Jeans.

Will keep an eye on her; not bad at all. Lay off the botox, though.

Kisaya

Oh wow, I sorta dig her :) Great voice! Definitely going to check out the rest of her stuff. I'll watch her performance on SNL too, I hope she does well!

Lana Del Ray is to indie music what the Gizmondo was to video games......

She is nothing more than a shameless corporate creation better suited for American Idol than "indie music"

There is nothing more to her than plastic surgery, image consultants, and bullshit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
"Off to the Races" in particular is horrifically bad and yet I keep going back to listen to it again.

She'll be everywhere this year, annoy the shit out of everyone who believes themselves to be of higher taste, and probably become an undeniable plastic surgery trainwreck by summer '13, get fired from her modelling contract, and release a sophomore album in the wake of her drunken weekend marriage to... I dunno, Rob Lowe or something.

SteveWD40

I think she looks a bit uncomfortable with the new persona, or maybe it's just nerves. Isn't great live.

She is nervous, and partly as she is not being "herself", also she is suddenly everywhere and playing to millions on international TV (Jools Holland and Jonathan Ross over for example are both huge) which can be pretty terrifying I imagine if you are not used to it.

Zaptruder

Banned
I didn't care too much for Video Games, but I do dig Blue Jeans.

Will keep an eye on her; not bad at all. Lay off the botox, though.

Women like her... women in her position... the way we obsess over her seeming mysteriousness... talk about it... critique it... mention it... women like her, set the standard of beauty. They crawl into our cultural subconcious and modify the way we think about beauty. We might not see them as the pinnacle of beauty; by they leave an indelible mark on the way we think about it.

And it's probably a bad thing in this case! Misshapened, albeit intriguingly asymmetrical lips.

Duderz

Banned
Women like her... women in her position... the way we obsess over her seeming mysteriousness... talk about it... critique it... mention it... women like her, set the standard of beauty. They crawl into our cultural subconcious and modify the way we think about beauty. We might not see them as the pinnacle of beauty; by they leave an indelible mark on the way we think about it.

And it's probably a bad thing in this case! Misshapened, albeit intriguing lips.

Mostly just misshapened for me.

Zekes!

I remember people hyping her up just a while back, so I gave her track Video Games a spin...talented singer, but not my kind of shit at all.

Koodo

Banned
annoy the shit out of everyone who believes themselves to be of higher taste
Oh gurlie, if only you had been a few seconds earlier...

She is nothing more than a shameless corporate creation better suited for American Idol than "indie music"

There is nothing more to her than plastic surgery, image consultants, and bullshit.
Tell us how you really feel.

igtd2crjb5na7.gif

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
she has a female frank ocean vibe going on to me. I can dig it, not my taste in music though.

Soma

Not bad judging from the youtube links. Sounds like something I could get into the more I listen.

I'll keep an eye out for the album.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
someone tell me what's wrong with her face.

Zekes!

Not to sound like a hater, but yeah, whenever I saw/heard about her, I definitely got a "faux-indie" vibe.

mollipen

Comments like these...

...are why I could never, ever be friends with people who are hardcore about music. I just briefly glanced over a few of the things written about her in the link in the OP, and they're just hilariously ridiculous.

Why does the indie music world hate Lana Del Ray? Who the f**k cares? I've never seen a group of people more obsessed with "being real" and "selling out" and all of that nonsense than the music industry. Like the music? Listen to it. Don't? Don't. THAT'S IT! That's where it ends. It's not some super-secret club where you have to follow an arbitrary set of rules or else you get kicked out. In gaming, people make the games they want to make, and you aren't a "corporate sellout" if you're making Gear of War or Uncharted instead of Super Meat Boy or Bastion. In movies, so long as you're making something that's fun to watch, The Dark Knight can be just as respected as the latest indie documentary.

In music, though, you'll have all of these people screaming and crying because a certain artist or band isn't making "real" music—and yet I'll bet you anything those same people would jump on the first offer they got to be part of a record deal with a big-name label. But, nobody cares about them, so them whine about the people who are getting those opportunities.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
holy shit.
she actually had plastic surgery done? why? i don't understand.

Comments like these...

...are why I could never, ever be friends with people who are hardcore about music. I just briefly glanced over a few of the things written about her in the link in the OP, and they're just hilariously ridiculous.

you are talking about people who are hardcore about being assholes.
people who are hardcore about music will like a good song.

Koodo

Banned
Her lip is larger on one side then the other... and they're just too large for her face. But it makes her 'unique'... because if you have a look at the before images - she's 'prettier' but... nondescript.

http://www.songonlyrics.com/lana-del-rey-for-k-part-2-lyrics
http://img.theplatform.info/rssimage/67488-0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22926400@N04/3162031884/
Honestly, that was nothing a simple change of clothing and hair style couldn't fix (and what awful hair she used to have). Any lip injections seem totally unnecessary.

Edit: that being said, I'm not fully convinced by the pictures. Make up can do wonders. All her recent pictures have her wearing bright, eye-catching lip stick while all those old candids have her wearing subdued tones that match her skin.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
She's an amazing writer but after she said she didn't really care about music any more, I can't bring myself to get excited about her.

Fuck out of here with this BS. Homegirl form Brooklyn been trying to get in the game for a minute already. She had to collab with UK producers and re-invent herself to get some noise. Shorty put in work. I hope Lana Del Rey dethrones the supreme "witch" of them all...Diana Ross, just for your sake.

Comments like these...

Why does the indie music world hate Lana Del Ray? Who the f**k cares? I've never seen a group of people more obsessed with "being real" and "selling out" and all of that nonsense than the music industry. Like the music? Listen to it. Don't? Don't. THAT'S IT! That's where it ends. It's not some super-secret club where you have to follow an arbitrary set of rules or else you get kicked out. In gaming, people make the games they want to make, and you aren't a "corporate sellout" if you're making Gear of War or Uncharted instead of Super Meat Boy or Bastion. In movies, so long as you're making something that's fun to watch, The Dark Knight can be just as respected as the latest indie documentary.

In music, though, you'll have all of these people screaming and crying because a certain artist or band isn't making "real" music—and yet I'll bet you anything those same people would jump on the first offer they got to be part of a record deal with a big-name label. But, nobody cares about them, so them whine about the people who are getting those opportunities.

The backlash comes less from the music than from the complete bullshit back story and phoniness of her entire persona. They are the ones marketing her as "being real" and some find that insulting.

Your gaming analogy is faulty. In this situation a more apt one would be having Super Meat Boy or Bastion secretly being made by EA or Activision even though it was aggressively marketed as being made by an indie developer.

It just seems overly slimy to the intended audience.

Honestly, that was nothing a simple change of clothing and hair style couldn't fix (and what awful hair she used to have). Any lip injections seem totally unnecessary.

Edit: that being said, I'm not fully convinced by the pictures. Make up can do wonders. All her recent pictures have her wearing bright, eye-catching lip stick while all those old candids have her wearing subdued tones that match her skin.

And for what it's worth, she has stated in interviews that she hasn't anything done to them.

I'm not gonna lie, I like her current look better than the previous pictures. If she got injections, that's her decision and I really don't see the big deal. Was it necessary? No, but what is when it comes to looks?

A decision was made and this is the result, but she's hardly in some plastic surgery gone wrong type situation. She's got big, pouty, kinda weird but kinda cool lips now. They work for her IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom