• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS sales figures update: 66 million 360s, 18 million Kinects

Microsoft's first CES 2012 stat is in and it's good news for Kinect. The software giant has shifted 18 million Kinect sensors in total, alongside 66 million Xbox 360 consoles, making it the best selling console in the US during 2011. Microsoft's Xbox LIVE service is up to nearly 40 million members, and momentum for the company's Xbox products doesn't appear to be slowing down. After selling 1.7 million Xbox 360 units in a record breaking November, it's no surprise that Microsoft is proud of its Xbox growth.
http://www.theverge.com/ces/2012/1/9/2695540/18-million-xbox-kinect-sensors-sold-ces-2012

Probably sales to retail as usual, but impressive nonetheless!

At CES last year they announced they were at 50 million 360s shipped and 30 million Live members:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xbox-360-hits-50-million-worldwide-xbox-live-users-top-30-milli/

So around 16 million 360s shipped in calendar year 2011 then, plus 10 million new Xbox Live members.

18 million Kinects? Damnnnnnn.

What's interesting is, and this is obviously anecdotal, I only know one person with a Kinect. Where is everyone who bought a Kinect? Is it just the demographic of people I associate with or something?

Zzoram

Kinect has very obviously far outsold Move, and has had a much larger impact on the greater market. Kinect was a big winner for MSFT and Kinect2 will be a guaranteed pack-in with the next Xbox now.

DMeisterJ

Banned
:bow MS :bow

Doing absolutely amazing in the recent past. Slim xbox/Kinect has been a huge boon for them. As much as I think my fat Elite is better looking than the slimline, apparently others think otherwise.

18 million Kinects? Damnnnnnn.

What's interesting is, and this is obviously anecdotal, I only know one person with a Kinect. Where is everyone who bought a Kinect? Is it just the demographic of people I associate with or something?

I only know one person as well and they just got it over the holidays. So I went a whole year knowing no one with one of those things. Very strange. But I don't get out much.

Banned
That means they sold 8.4 Million in the last quarter. PS3 will need to sell 7.5 Million or more to match/beat the 360 world wide for 2011.

larvi

Yeah, I don't know anyone with Kinect either. I have 3 360's and no Kinects so not sure where all these Kinects are at. If there are that many out there I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before you see them used for $50 or less, that's when I'll think of getting one.

Zzoram

The same people who bought Kinect bought Wii for Carnival Games and Wii Fit, that's why you hardcare gaffers who know what the difference between a PPE and SPE don't know them.

so, what are the numbers right now?
360 - 50 consumer, 66 retail
ps3 - 50 consumer / ?? retail
wii - 90 consumer / ?? retail

I honestly don't know the numbers, so i just used the numbers i remember hearing about. Checked ******** but that's...well you know.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A handful of primary Kinect games, like Dance Central and Kinectimals, are excellent games for the audience they're targeted at. When you consider how many Wii systems sold on the strength of Wii Sports and Wii Fit alone, 18 million Kinects is child's play.

The difference with Kinect is that it's far more specialized than the Wii. Its design limits even the potential for Kore Gamez. So unlike Wii, I imagine very few core gamers bought a Kinect. Unless they just absolutely had to have Dance Central.

Beaulieu

A handful of primary Kinect games, like Dance Central and Kinectimals, are excellent games for the audience they're targeted at. When you consider how many Wii systems sold on the strength of Wii Sports and Wii Fit alone, 18 million Kinects is child's play.

The difference with Kinect is that it's far more specialized than the Wii. Its design limits even the potential for Kore Gamez. So unlike Wii, I imagine very few core gamers bought a Kinect. Unless they just absolutely had to have Dance Central.

This guy gets it. Kinect is very well made and fun for kids, famillies, people that dont usually game love this thing. In a lot of malls over here (Montreal), there are shops that are built just to let people try the kinect. People try it, they have fun.

Familly parties with kinect are really fun, and the technology is so much more fun than the wii... not comparable.

Shit, after trying "your shape 2012" I'm even thinking about getting one, and before this thing came out I thought it was the worst idea ever.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Impressive numbers...

The conference wasn't bad for what it was but what major trolling and disappointment at the end there ;(

No Xbox Infinity teaser.

Wow... so I just twigged that the 360 has now outsold the NES.

Seems odd. The NES was pretty much ubiquitous when I was young.

Also, my Kinect sales predictions were rubbish:

Psychotext said:
3m by New Year.
11m by end of 2011 (with a 15% increase in 360 shipments vs 2010 CY).
24m by next xbox.

My 360 prediction for 2011 might not be too far off though, and who knows, that 24m number might not be too bad either. ;)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I suspect they are going to have huge December NPD numbers.

16m shipped in a year, what was the previous best? 12ish?

Zzoram

Dance Central 2 is by far the best dance game out, and dance games are insanely popular, so it makes sense for Kinect to sell big.

Excercise games are also best on Kinect. That's two massive casual genres best on Kinect.

pestul

This guy gets it. Kinect is very well made and fun for kids, famillies, people that dont usually game love this thing. In a lot of malls over here (Montreal), there are shops that are built just to let people try the kinect. People try it, they have fun.

Familly parties with kinect are really fun, and the technology is so much more fun than the wii... not comparable.

Shit, after trying "your shape 2012" I'm even thinking about getting one, and before this thing came out I thought it was the worst idea ever.

Dude, I got Your Shape 2012 and let me tell you.. it rocks. I run and workout regularly at the gym, but after 30min on that thing doing various 'medium' level activities.. I was pooped. Some muscles were sore for a couple of days because of it. Truly brilliant.

The market has grown so much since then.
True enough. I guess a lot of it is simply down to perspective.

Dude, I got Your Shape 2012 and let me tell you.. it rocks. I run and workout regularly at the gym, but after 30min on that thing doing various 'medium' level activities.. I was pooped. Some muscles were sore for a couple of days because of it. Truly brilliant.
Yeah, it has a few issues, but there's no doubting that it can provide a hell of a workout. :)

Elios83

8m+ for the October-December quarter (the 66m number is probably rounded off).
Really impressive achievement. It will be very interesting to see how much Sony shipped (for once they announced sell through numbers for December and Black Friday combined).
Still the fact that Microsoft didn't claim top spot worldwide could be a hint.

8m+ for the October-December quarter (the 66m number is probably rouded off).
Really impressive achievement. It will be very interesting to see how much Sony shipped (for once they announced sell through numbers for December and Black Friday combined).
Still the fact that Microsoft didn't claim top spot worldwide could be a hint.

He verbally said the best selling console of 2011 during the painful conference.

Top Bottom