• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever thought about Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo getting together? (1 console future)

What if Sony handled the hardware, MS handled the OS, and Nintendo put all of their awesome franchises into on super console? Would be pretty awesome. I really like the idea of a 1 console future. I understand that competition is good (for hardware) but it'd be pretty awesome to play everything on a single console.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
tumblr_lydr3yHssk1qexya3.gif

Competition is bad, am I right?

I'd rather have Nintendo do the hardware on Sony or Microsoft's budget. If we had a one console future with dual shocks I'd have to go around bludgeoning people to death with them in arse bleeding rage.

SomeDude

Banned
nah, it's more interesting when they are going at each other and saying things like "my console is more powerful than their console/etc." If it wasn't for sony and ms going at each other the ps3 and xbox 360 probably wouldn't be as power as they are. In fact, if it wasn't for them competing with each other we probably wouldn't be getting a big jump for the upcoming gen either.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd rather there be two consoles than one (or three)

Wouldn't mind one of the new schoolers dropping out.

How can there be a one-console future if consoles won't be consoles in the future?

This idea has been proposed before and it still doesn't seem realistic. The only one-console future I would want to see is one born out of a developer consortium who contracts a hardware manufacturer and OS and support provider and not one built by the three big kids on the block.

Fezan

cons
-$999 launch price
-$100 for online
-bare minimum first party support
-Weak unreliable hardware
-Online pass in every game with some anti used game disk protection etc..
-No NPD THREADS
pros
-all 3 types of motion sensing controller.
-No console warriors

scitek

I wouldn't mind an approach like the 3DO had where multiple manufacturers make consoles to certain specs. Or maybe I would, I don't really know.

On the one hand, it would certainly make things easier. On the other, this industry needs some competition to get things going.

tzare

yes. competition should be on software and peripherals. Plus hardware should be 'standard' and with multiple manufacturers

This is an idea from the mind of a naive child that an alarming number of adults, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, actually believe is a possibility. It is not possible. It will never, ever happen under any circumstances. I hope I don't have to explain why.

tzare

I feel like everyone would jump ship for PC.

If the big three made a single console it would be a complete mess of motion controls and stupid fees and restraints.

it could be a mess or it could be heavenly.

They could decide online services, hadware specs just like they do now, focusing each on their strenghts , as op said, and license to 3rds, to build a variety of 'boxes' with extra features like hdd , usb ports, smaller, bigger so everyone could choose according to needs.
Developers would not have to divide their budget into multiplatform releases. Online would be unified, more people to play with.
ANd even if hw was expensive, sure it is cheaper than having to buy 3 consoles in case you are interested in sony MS and nintendo first party software.

I feel like everyone would jump ship for PC.

If the big three made a single console it would be a complete mess of motion controls and stupid fees and restraints.

Plus, just for starters, "the big three" joining forces would mean the market would have room for someone else to move in and make a competing console. Which would happen.

Atomski

Plus, just for starters, "the big three" joining forces would mean the market would have room for someone else to move in and make a competing console. Which would happen.
Who would have the power to go against something like that besides Apple?!? and who the hell would want a Apple console?!? :p

I still think it would just lead more to PC gaming.

Who would have the power to go against something like that besides Apple?!? and who the hell would want a Apple console?!? :p

I still think it would just lead more to PC gaming.

Why exclude Apple? Who gets more people to buy overpriced, underpowered hardware (insert console joke here, [/pcmasterrace]) and gadgets they don't think they want or need than Apple? It's entirely possible, even likely, in such a scenario. The idea that nobody else would surface to threaten the mega-console in such a situation just because we can't figure out who it would be from our seats here in Reality... that's just ridiculous. One mega-company would not dominate the field unchallenged.

One-console future is an absurd, impossible dream. I think most people know that. It's fun to dream, but dreams aren't reality.

I wish this happens, really dislike buying 2 consoles, let alone 3 per generation.
I will get 2 consoles max next generation (Nintendo and Sony most likely... unless somehow the PS4 is super underpowered), but I will definitely be purchasing Microsoft games too if they were all on one console.

I am all for competition, but why not be like movies or music and compete through the work (games) instead of the hardware? As long as the hardware for a single console future is decent then I will be satisfied. I don't think they will under-power such a console anyway since they also need to compete against the PC market in terms of graphics and performance.

PS: If I had unlimited funds then I won't mind a billion console future. :p

smr00

Banned
No, i don't want a one ultimate console because that is when innovation stops.

I wouldn't mind if A company merged with another, like xbox/sony putting out a console but there has to be competition. I don't want a digital distribution only console/pc or one ultimate console. I prefer physical media and i prefer innovation.

I wish this happens, really dislike buying 2 consoles, let alone 3 per generation.
I will get 2 consoles max next generation (Nintendo and Sony most likely... unless somehow the PS4 is super underpowered), but I will definitely be purchasing Microsoft games too if they were all on one console.

I am all for competition, but why not be like movies or music and compete through the work (games) instead of the hardware? As long as the hardware for a single console future is decent then I will be satisfied. I don't think they will under-power such a console anyway since they also need to compete against the PC market in terms of graphics and performance.
console will never compete against PC in terms of graphics/performance because PCS constantly evolve all year every year, unless this magical console allows hardware upgrades which it won't, it will never compete.

But one thing consoles CAN do to help bring PC only gamers over is allow mouse/keyboard support, it is completely plausible and possible without upsetting console players, look what CS:GO is doing with PS3, allowing KB/M support, that is amazing and every game should do this, back to upsetting console players, if you don't want to play with KB/M players it's simple, they add a game filter where you can either play with controller only, KB/M only or KB/M and controller, to stop cheating you can have a anti-cheat in place where if you connect a mouse or keyboard it disconnects you from the server. And it isn't just about YOU, you might be satisfied with one console but everyone else won't, sure at first we will get some good new IPS but then what will entice them? they could just release sequel after sequel after sequel after sequel i mean look at all the new GOOD ips we got this generation? not a TON from 360 side which is why i don't own it, i can play all those third party games on other consoles or my pc.

ps2 is the closest we ever had to one console future because the difference with competitors are massive and it was a glorious era of console gaming.

FyreWulff

It'll eventually happen, it's just a matter of how and when. You'd make a standard, then everyone that wants to license the game format has to have their hardware support minimum specs. Just like DVD and now Blu Ray.

Because when you really think about it, you really can't call an industry that requires you to print a game 3 times and have it take up 3 times (so that you have a copy for all possible customers) the shelf space matured or streamlined. Your online base ends up split 3 times as well.

At bare minimum, I expect the 3 main consoles to eventually support or forced to support a universal game format. Or even a way for a game to have all 3 console version executables burned on the same disc and the consoles know to load their executable and go.

You'd still have competition - everyone can still make their own box - but you'd get rid of the stupidity.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It'll eventually happen, it's just a matter of how and when. You'd make a standard, then everyone that wants to license the game format has to have their hardware support minimum specs. Just like DVD and now Blu Ray.

Because when you really think about it, you really can't call an industry that requires you to print a game 3 times and have it take up 3 times (so that you have a copy for all possible customers) the shelf space matured or streamlined. Your online base ends up split 3 times as well.

At bare minimum, I expect the 3 main consoles to eventually support or forced to support a universal game format. Or even a way for a game to have all 3 console version executables burned on the same disc and the consoles know to load their executable and go.

You'd still have competition - everyone can still make their own box - but you'd get rid of the stupidity.
This has been tried before (look up CD-i and 3DO). It never works. You are effectively relying on people making money off the hardware.

You need the software to offset the hardware unless you're going for 10 year old tech.

tzare

Wouldn't that just result in more companies making their own consoles? Making the prospect of one console null and void?

more consoles but all would play same software. Like mp3 or dvd or bluray, you have a standard and a variety of hw to choose from. Just pic the one that suits you better and done.

People talk about hardware not advancing. How so? Will wiiU be better than PCs? same for new box or ps4. plus, innovation could come from peripherals, so just let the standard have connectivity, usb wifi/bt and done.

FyreWulff

This has been tried before (look up CD-i and 3DO). It never works. You are effectively relying on people making money off the hardware.

You need the software to offset the hardware unless you're going for 10 year old tech.

In this situation, Nintendo/MS/Sony would all be on the format's directing board and would be collecting fees from all device and game sales anyway.

More licensors of the format would also dramatically lower certification costs.

smr00

Banned

Not in our life time.

Nintendo and Sony would be a pretty awesome team, especially since Sony's in house abilities have pretty much skyrocketed(is this a real word). Well, I guess all I would want would be Sony's studios working on games and their online division helping out. Leave everything else with Nintendo. Dreams.

MS can go away somewhere.

Sometimes, I wish they would all be absorbed into the PC market. It might save a lot of plastic, silicon, and packaging not having to buy these boxes that do a very limited number of things, and cannot be upgraded. They could specialize in various PC products (peripherals, hardware, digital distribution services, even OSes). We could still have fanboy wars on the basis of preferring, for example, a Nintendo-manufactured controller for playing your game(s), or one kind of OS, but everyone would basically have immediate access to all software. This arguably has disadvantages, I realize, perhaps on the basis of it being (sort-of) good to have companies experimenting around with their own proprietary instruction sets or whatever it's called (RISC vs CISC, etc).

smr00

Banned
Sometimes, I wish they would all be absorbed into the PC market. It might save a lot of plastic, silicon, and packaging not having to buy these boxes that do a very limited number of things, and cannot be upgraded. They could specialize in various PC products (peripherals, hardware, digital distribution services, even OSes). We could still have fanboy wars on the basis of preferring a Nintendo-manufactured controller, or one kind of OS, but everyone would basically have immediate access to all software.
unless this brings power PCs for $300 in stores it will never happen, not everyone cares or wants a gaming pc.

i haven't had a gaming PC in about 6 years and don't ever plan on building a high end one, i plan on building a $500-600 to play Diablo 3 and maybe the star wars mmo but that's it.

i would rather have this crappy 3 in 1 console over the pc bullshit, no offense to pc gamers i just don't really care for it, with consoles you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, malware, blatant wall hacking, aimbotting etc. don't have to worry about burning out hardware inside and replacing it, don't have to worry about upgrading etc.

There is a reason these consoles sell so well, there is a reason home consoles exist and will always exist.

Top Bottom