• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS reaches 5 million sales in Japan - Breaks the record

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
graph.gif

Beat the GBA, DS and Wii to the mark doing so. 51 weeks it took.

Happy Birthday 3DS!

Src: Nintendo

Considering the titles already announced for (or likely to come) this year, I don't see any sign of a slow down, either.

Let's be beating the LTD figures of the DS in 5 years!

It's amazing what a price cut and good games can do.

I love my 3DS. Rock that ish every day on my commute. High production values in my pocket is a nice thing to have :D

Should be a nice bump in March to coincide with KH.

What's the release schedule after that, anyway? I know Animal Crossing is a tentative summer release right now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Doomed Nintendo is God Mode Nintendo.

every awesome decission outside of the price cut was made -BEFORE- any of the "Doom" shit started.

Therefore - i'd propose we kill this saying and simply go with

Nintendo is God Mode Nintendo.

The price cut was a massive help but a turd is still a turd regardless of the price. The key was the triple slam of MH, MK7 and ML. THAT was Nintendo planning out for the first year with intent and purpose. No DOOM required.

I'd actually be curious to see how the machine would have sold with either a much more modest price cut or -no- price cut. However, i think the price cut is a calculated strategy because i'd put the mortgage on a more expensive much more superior model this year then the original 3DS will be silently terminated.

If that happens - Iwata's market-savvy genius just gets another gold star

Should be a nice bump in March to coincide with KH.

What's the release schedule after that, anyway? I know Animal Crossing is a tentative summer release right now.

Apart from Fire Emblem and Rayman Origins, there's almost nothing announced for Japan in Q1, hopefully a Nintendo Direct will turn that around soon.

(Earthpedia and Girls Fashion 3D and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poyopoyo_Kansatsu_Nikki are the only other games with confirmed release dates as far as I can tell).

What a crazy climb. Its the last to slowest 1,2,3 and 4 million, but the fastest to reach 5.

Got a 3DS for my bro last week in the Gamestop sale and I am pretty hyped to get my own once Layton X Ace Attorney comes out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For comparison, the PS3 is only at approximately 7,830,550 units sold.

Remind me to link back to this thread the next time someone makes a "Where have all the Japanese console games gone?" thread.

NFreak

Can't wait to see what games are in store for the 3DS in the future. Hopefully E3 will shed some light on some more third party offerings. It seems as if Nintendo has their lineup all figured out for this year.

HylianTom

Banned
This news warms my heart.. good for Nintendo.

The possession of franchises is what makes Nintendo so death-defying. Nintendo can play that "Mario Card" and buyers will show-up with their money. As long as those games stay awesome, Nintendo has a solid future.

Heck, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that a 2D Mario pack-in game for the Wii U would be a surefire recipe for success.

People try to tout the other companies' 1st party franchises as being comparable, but I personally think that's a laugh-and-a-half.

For comparison, the PS3 is only at approximately 7,830,550 units sold.

Remind me to link back to this thread the next time someone makes a "Where have all the Japanese console games gone?" thread.

Yep, seriously.

Eager to see the "3DS has outsold the PS3 LTD" thread later this year

trw

B-b-b-b-b-ut smartphones and ipads and the market has changed and social games and the price of handheld games and handhelds wont work in 2012 and nintendo is doomed and and and....

antonz

GBA and 3DS both really took off around week 40 though the 3DS take off is something else.

It really does make the 3DS hard to resist for publishers too now

jman2050

B-b-b-b-b-ut smartphones and ipads and the market has changed and social games and the price of handheld games and handhelds wont work in 2012 and nintendo is doomed and and and....

Handhelds already went through that song and dance in Japan years ago. The west will likely follow in short order once the 3DS starts breaking records over here.

Top Bottom