• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

looks like halo but now with god rays.

Yay? People like halo so its a good thing it looks like that I guess.

Cant wait to see gameplay.

Well, it's true. Gimme some unique characters to play around with not everyone that looks so similar.
lol, considering the entire premise of the mainline story Halos is that the Master Chief is the lone surviving Spartan (that we know of), and everyone reacts to him being extremely special and unique, and considering there is no one that looks like him at all in Halo 1, 2, or 3...what's your complaint?
I like Halo, but you show me a screen shot from any of the current generation games and I would be hard pressed to tell you which one was which. It's not that much of a stretch to believe and that idea certainly isn't worthy of your massive over-reaction pic.
ORLY
5328.jpg

halo-reach-20100125051700045.jpg

e49cad85.jpg

adelante

It'll turn out that some secret human intelligence agency--ONI or whatever--got there first before being wasted. Da Cheef grabs the gear off their rotting corpses.

Maybe the portion of Forward Unto Dawn ship he cryo'ed in contained a super secret weapons lab that housed several experimental BRs so he just grabbed one

Troll

Banned
It'll turn out that some secret human intelligence agency--ONI or whatever--got there first before being wasted. Da Cheef grabs the gear off their rotting corpses.

I thought that Cheef and Cortana made sex and master cheef was so tired that he went to cryo sleep after he found out Cortana was pregs he didnt want babies. Halo fore is Cheefs son Jontana at age 13 going to forerunner planet because its halo fore and he thinks his dad is there.

I thought I read that somewhere.

Maybe the portion of Forward Unto Dawn ship he cryo'ed in contained a super secret weapons lab that housed several experimental BRs so he just grabbed one

See, the reason I wish they wouldn't try to appeal to this idea that art styles can't change from game to game is because the explanation is almost never believable. Even if it is, it just seems forced. Why do they need to make sure you know where a weapon came from? Why is that such a big priority?

These screens make me want Halo 4 on the next-generation instead. Those textures would probably look a lot better on 2 to 4 GB of RAM.

I thought that Cheef and Cortana made sex and master cheef was so tired that he went to cryo sleep after he found out Cortana was pregs he didnt want babies. Halo fore is Cheefs son Jontana at age 13 going to forerunner planet because its halo fore and he thinks his dad is there.

I would buy two fucking copies of that game.

Uh, ya, rly? Sorry, I like the Halo games, but I'm not some kind of super fan, bro. Like someone said before, it's impressive that they've maintained the same art style throughout the series. But I dabble in the games so ya, rly. Sorry to break your heart though.

Someone get this dude a job at 343 industries.

I like Halo, but you show me a screen shot from any of the current generation games and I would be hard pressed to tell you which one was which. It's not that much of a stretch to believe and that idea certainly isn't worthy of your massive over-reaction pic.

Really?

vipkhl.jpg

ndITZl.jpg

YwEZgl.jpg

And this is all from multiplayer.

If we're comparing single player screenshots(since that's what this Halo 4 screen is from):
TYURIl.jpg

IEADml.jpg

MFgY6l.jpg

Like I said, there's a clear difference between the three games. Not just in armor designs, but tone, lighting, weapons, everything. If you're a fan of the series, I would say it's very easy to tell which game is which. And if you aren't a fan of the series..what are you even doing in this thread? Mucking it up with "this game looks the same as all the others in the series" posts?

Well to be fair, Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST look really damn similar. There are differences, but I feel it's mostly to do with the setting.

That's true, that's why they both have "Halo 3" in their titles. I was mostly talking about tech upgrades between Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4.

I'm not really talking about graphics quality though. I'm sure this game will look more impressive than any of the others. My main complaint with the series is my inability to find a unique character in the whole series. To me, every character looks like Master Chief, with maybe a few alterations and I can't get into the series because of that. I tried with Reach, got bored, and gave up.

Well, to be fair, this is Master Chief, so..

Ok, so his armour changing is understandable. But where would a new Battlerifle variant come from?
Probably just a new art style for the BR. Its a given that they would switch it up, and I 100% approve as long as it remains mostly true to the original.

Really?

Like I said, there's a clear difference between the three games. Not just in armor designs, but tone, lighting, weapons, everything. If you're a fan of the series, I would say it's very easy to tell which game is which. And if you aren't a fan of the series..what are you even doing in this thread? Mucking it up with "this game looks the same as all the others in the series" posts?

Okie dokie, I guess I'll just repeat myself since you're so dead set on this: No, I couldn't tell you which game is which just by looking at the screen shots. I know, that's hard for you to believe, but you're just going to have to accept it. And I think I've repeated myself a couple times here, but I like the Halo games and have played every single one of them numerous times. At this point I'm clearly just making you angry though, so maybe you should just calm down and accept this? Or we could keep going, whatever makes you want to punch a hole in the nearest wall is fine by me, I'm having a great time.

Izayoi

Banned
Nope. 100% untouched.
You're saying that in-game we're going to get that kind of IQ? Because I doubt it. Doesn't the in-game screenshot feature in previous Halo games supersample the image? If it's supersampled, it's a bullshot - it won't look like that when we're actually playing.

Do you have any frame-buffer grabs from gameplay? I am correct in believing this is a 360, and not a 720, game - right?

*wakes up, sees images*

Oh my.
Why thank you Cortana, I couldn't have asked for any better.

*heads for Forerunner artefact
/work

have to agree. Halo looks like Halo, because it's motherfucking Halo.
I'm not a big Halo fan, but it's clear that the latest three big Halo games were very different in tone, colour sceme, lighting, etc.
You're saying that in-game we're going to get that kind of IQ? Because I doubt it. Doesn't the in-game screenshot feature in previous Halo games supersample the image? If it's supersampled, it's a bullshot - it won't look like that when we're actually playing.

Do you have any frame-buffer grabs from gameplay? I am correct in believing this is a 360, and not a 720, game - right?

come on... this is not how it will look while playing the game.I'm sure the same models will be used, but the 360 will never display it in this quality.

Grinchy

Banned

I think he's just trying to market the game.

NinjaBoiX

Eww.

I'm unusually harsh on Halo titles because I love them to death, but just...eww. I have zero faith for Halo 4.
I don't get it. As a Halo fan, what part made you go "eww"? It just looks like Halo to me.

Edit: just read your earlier posts were you explain the differences in art styles. Still, it's not like he's suddenly rocking top hat and tails, it's still very much Halo.

Apath

Well, it's true. Gimme some unique characters to play around with not everyone that looks so similar.
But nobody looks like Master Chief except for in Halo Reach where there are multiple characters all wearing the Spartan armor, but even then, they have their helmets off and all look quite different. It's like complaining the guys in Crysis all look the same because they wear the same armor.

I mean, you have Sgt. Johnson, Cortana, Captain Keyes, Miranda Keyes, The Arbiter, the Prophet of Truth, Gravemind... all character that look completely different and are totally distinguishable from not just one another, but could never get confused with the Master Chief.

Well, it was leaked...

I meant design, not graphics quality.

Okie dokie, I guess I'll just repeat myself since you're so dead set on this: No, I couldn't tell you which game is which just by looking at the screen shots. I know, that's hard for you to believe, but you're just going to have to accept it. And I think I've repeated myself a couple times here, but I like the Halo games and have played every single one of them numerous times. At this point I'm clearly just making you angry though, so maybe you should just calm down and accept this? Or we could keep going, whatever makes you want to punch a hole in the nearest wall is fine by me, I'm having a great time.

Who says I'm mad? I just think it's silly that you can't tell the difference between three(now four) distinctly different games. You either have a poor memory, or do not pay attention to detail very well. Either way, the "ha ha ha, oh wow" picture was not a massive over-reaction. Saying "It looks like Halo" is fine, because it does. But saying it that the games are indistinguishable?

YUOKQ.gif

Halo 3 teaser MC...soooo much better than this one. :(

I like them both. That one had shinier armor which is kind of cool, but it doesn't really make much sense since ideally you would want to be as hard to spot on the battlefield as possible. Tech-wise, I'd say they're really close.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't get it. As a Halo fan, what part made you go "eww"? It just looks like Halo to me.
Honestly, I think they're trying to be too detailed. I think the membrane stuff or whatever it is looks terrible (elbows, waist most noticeably). If you look at the screenshots of the Reach Spartans those areas don't really have a lot of detail and I think it's for the better. As it is it just looks like a low-res mess. That's always been part of the beauty of Halo, the (relatively) simple and bright art design.

sp3000

Nope. 100% untouched.

This is a lie, and you are aware of it. The 360 is not outputting at 1600x900 with who knows what kind of supersampling applied.

Seriously, it really doesn't reflect well on the franchise when every pre release screenshot of a Halo game has involved massive supersampling and increased resolution when compared to what we actually see in game.
That is the practical definition of a bullshot. This ridiculous marketing has been going on since the original shots of Halo 2.

I remember the Halo 3 screenshots that looks so much better than the actual game which was aliased garbage.

Halo 3 is when the "standard" set of armor was at its best. Great balance of under armor and actual metal armor. Wasn't massively bulky like Jorge's armor, the Mark V armor from Halo 1, Halo Wars...whatever that abomination was. It was a happy medium, that improved over Halo 2 in some ways. From what little we've seen from Halo 4, it looks like a lot of the interesting and functional designs from Halo have gone away, and now it's headed for a generic sci-fi look. Makes me sad. But, we haven't seen nearly enough for me to completely write off Halo 4 just yet. I still love the series, so we'll see.

I like them both. That one had shinier armor which is kind of cool, but it doesn't really make much sense since ideally you would want to be as hard to spot on the battlefield as possible. Tech-wise, I'd say they're really close.

I was strictly talking about the suit design. Color choice, material, etc. I didn't care for that much for the teaser. Super bumpy, ugly brown-ish color, immensely shiny. But like I just said in the above reply, the Mark VI is my favorite armor set.

Honestly, I think they're trying to be too detailed. I think the membrane stuff or whatever it is looks terrible (elbows, waist most noticeably). If you look at the screenshots of the Reach Spartans those areas don't really have a lot of detail and I think it's for the better. As it is it just looks like a low-res mess. That's always been part of the beauty of Halo, the (relatively) simple and bright art design.

This guy gets it.

Izayoi

Banned
I think he's just trying to market the game.
I'm aware, but he's lying by stating that they aren't bullshots - because they are. Who knows, maybe Halo 4 is getting some kind of PC release as well, and these are actually indicative of how it the game will actually look - but I doubt it.

Who says I'm mad? I just think it's silly that you can't tell the difference between three(now four) distinctly different games. You either have a poor memory, or do not pay attention to detail very well. Either way, the "ha ha ha, oh wow" picture was not a massive over-reaction. Saying "It looks like Halo" is fine, because it does. But saying it that the games are indistinguishable?

You're clearly angry because you continue to argue something that I don't think is quite contentious. I'm sorry I don't have a keen eye for these things I suppose, I'm sorry it's probably been about a year since I dropped a Halo game in my Xbox, like most people who aren't Halo maniacs (which, if you think really hard about it, might be one of the reasons why I have difficulty with this). I came to the defense of someone who made a valid point and you just kept it going. Maybe after this post though you'll have a magical epiphany and realize that not every one can tell all those games apart. Or maybe not and you can keep posting your hilarious over reaction gifs and Halo stills and I can keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Top Bottom